Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Late filing penalties refunded 143 2
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 461 13
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 136 2
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 181 2
- CGT on house within Limited Company 302 10
- Subsistence Claims 325 3
- India Capital Gain 162 2
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 369 7
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 227 4
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 556 12
- Care Home - Job Price 309 5
- Fee headache 511 4
- Dormant payroll 764 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 138 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 314 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,559 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 147 1
- This feels wrong.... 1,610 21
- Overlap relief 409 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 222 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 515
- Theatre Tax Relief 423
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 330
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 311
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 289
- Perkbox 239
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 226
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 221
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 200
- Document Management Systems 199