Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Real names 1,104 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 486 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 95 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,363 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 653 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 225 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 67 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 123 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 277 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,571 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,958 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,940 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 77 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 116 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 162 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 107 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 88 1
- Tax position re this lease? 163 2
- VAT on Training Courses 141 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 142 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 578
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 276
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 267
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 258
- Cancelled 200
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 170