Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 257 3
- Business lending another business money (UK) 160 5
- Termination Payment 324 13
- Signed accounts for bank 375 8
- flat rate scheme 2,124 40
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 78 1
- Landing clients 511 16
- Opening a Quick books file 178 2
- What are my legal responsibilities 495 15
- P11D Benefits - Accountancy fee for Directors personal tax 266 2
- cash the returned VAT cheque 232 1
- Remote subcontractors - due diligence 249 1
- Confict of Interest 349 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 274 4
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 354 5
- P11d query 287 5
- Rental expenses 135 1
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 165 5
- No more tax returns... 1,574 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 441 6