Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 417 10
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 250 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 101 2
- Was I rude 786 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 281 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 213 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 288 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 282 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 195 6
- Non-compete agreement 183 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 198 1
- Any views 739 1
- IRIS Practice Management 145 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 108 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 94 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 175 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 308 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 258 1
- Top slicing relief question 236 2
- Valuation of PET on death 124 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,483
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 820
- International interest certificate 447
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 421
- Sale of business 395
- NOVA 290
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 203
- Bonus Bonds 175
- Management expenses for investment company 173
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 169