Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 316 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 111 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,246 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 380 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,445 18
- Vat 236 4
- CT/CIS offset 96 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 152 4
- Trade name 152 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 126 1
- New business - journal entries 299 20
- B2B vat in the EU 100 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 307 18
- Why should I retain membership? 2,648 45
- VAT on deposits 201 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 122 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 399 12
- option to tax 202 1
- Share of profits from building society 93 1
- sage vat journal 83 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 775
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 704
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 382
- Social investment tax relief 201
- Digita Hosted Software 195
- Call Centre Data Costs 190
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 154
- Travel costs and contractors 147
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 138
- Certificates of tax deposit 132