Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Time recording 37 1
- Land Registry 247 3
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 23 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 72 1
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 499 8
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 947 13
- Auto Enrolment 653 4
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 172 5
- Transferring rental property to limited company 391 12
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 793 19
- Company Number 10000000 328 4
- Advertising Tips? 272 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,507 29
- IR35 355 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 395 12
- Revenue phishing examples 206 1
- iris update 11.9.2 188 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 448 13
- 2015 tax year end 532 1
- Company Structure 298 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 732
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 431
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 371
- Costly Accounting Software contract 355
- Directors' advances and credits 282
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 251
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 232
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 210
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195