Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 557 8
- How much did you pay for your website 1,699 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 70 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 29 1
- Does IR35 apply? 93 1
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 107 1
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 104 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 293 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,034 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 269 7
- Sage data 109 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 424 9
- Limited company buying a car 365 6
- Funding Circle experience 164 3
- Excel query 131 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,303 13
- Payment on account penalties 137 3
- Tax on free shares 152 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 211 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 131 1
- CTA study material 809
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 498
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 462
- Employment related securities question 326
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 285
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 237
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162