Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Excel formula 475 10
- overdrawn directors loan 52 2
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 801 34
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 108 2
- Disposal of an opted property 56 1
- Fee protection 600 11
- Forfeited despoit for property - allowable loss? 91 2
- New charity 92 1
- Self assesment losses 96 2
- Repairs or Improvement? 189 4
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 152 3
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 353 1
- Partnership UTRs 114 4
- Transfer of shares 470 17
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 102 2
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 86 2
- Rights of Alphabet shares 235 7
- Home as office costs - new rules wef April 2013 187 1
- Where to advertise for staff 117 3
- Purchase of ltd company 159 4
- Xtuple 557
- Qtac payroll for bureau 378
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 328
- Industrial & Provident Societies 318
- CIS schemes 236
- Domain name sale and limited company 213
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 194
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 194
- Investment 194
- Tax on damages received 155