Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Relocation expense claim 112 1
- Formating cells in Excel 81 1
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 54 1
- ICAS GPPM 80 1
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 132 2
- Payroll 257 7
- Buying fees 692 5
- IHT Query 444 11
- Audit and paypal balances 180 7
- Missing C79 162 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 490 16
- VAT margin scheme 275 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 317 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,737 17
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 143 2
- Get it off your chest 259 4
- Directors bonus 171 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 120 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 285 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 290 5
- Possible Partnership? 561
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 554
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 482
- New Fangled Penalties 359
- Clubs and Taxable Income 296
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 280
- Loans to other companies 222
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 215
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 183
- Outsource Data Entry 182