Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 79 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 282 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 202 2
- cross border vat 107 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,889 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 755 17
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 248 12
- Can't read my handwriting 623 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,646 74
- Employing a carer 115 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 527 16
- PRR 441 14
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 211 13
- Corp Tax Refund 166 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 386 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 275 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 79 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 228 1
- Audit partner? 271 6
- Losses on FHL Property 116 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,371
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 516
- National Insurance 407
- Non Resident 317
- Hands on experience of Digita 244
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 220
- Employer's Helpline 186
- CIS paid under reg 9 181
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 149
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 144