Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 121 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 264 3
- Community awards 2014 - first category 60 2
- Payment plans for clients 253 3
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 398 11
- CT600 235 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 298 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 38 1
- Lease 106 4
- Free invoicing software 485 4
- Digita Hosted Software 389 4
- signature required 856 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,288 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 161 5
- Thin Client recomendation 203 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 179 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 154 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 108 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 123 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,292 15
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,298
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 849
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 539
- Credit where credit's due....... 333
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 252
- TheTax Donut 220
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 180
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 169
- Sole trader CPD 144
- Director's business mileage 143