Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 370 7
- Benchmark Scale Rates 33 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,434 33
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 38 1
- Early repayment of CIS deductions - sole trader 31 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 539 13
- Rollover relief and private use 90 2
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 147 2
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 206 3
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 816 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,806 72
- SAGE con 340 7
- Filed CT600 using Taxcalc 109 2
- Which software for practice books? 559 20
- Related Parties Note 739 10
- Dazed & confused 393 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 132 2
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 174 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 358 7
- trading or dormant 250 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,055
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 565
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 374
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 283
- Charge out rates in London? 226
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 218
- Personal consumption by landlord 193
- Interest on Loan to a Company 179
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 161
- Agent fees to sell business 150