Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 290 5
- US Sales Tax 100 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 354 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 188 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 78 1
- Group Relief 114 4
- R&D Credits 89 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 224 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 84 2
- Clients 661 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 244 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 113 3
- Starting new accounting business 265 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 453 10
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 83 1
- Sage Payroll 95 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 104 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 424 8
- Tolley UK sales number 210 7
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 122 2
- QROP pension input amounts 492
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 476
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 438
- EPS and CIS deductions 293
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 285
- Construction CIS LLP Company 276
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 238
- SAGE winforecast 198
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 190
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 182