Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 950 29
- You know its over 335 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 487 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 220 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 172 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 159 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 246 3
- Cocaine anyone? 510 8
- Late Registration for VAT 487 13
- EIS/SEIS 142 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 276 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 416 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 423 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 718 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 554 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 590 4
- Personal pension 402 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 222 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,219 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 175 3
- Hive up 491
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 458
- corporate hierarchy 438
- Advice - 272
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 226
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 207
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 200
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 181
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 175