Sole Trader Training Expenses
I hope someone can help me with this one!
My sister has been trading for a number of years as an environmental consultant, on a sole trader basis.
She already has a BSc and MSc in Environmental Science and now, during the last year (2010/11) she has embarked on an Envirpnmental Law Masters Degree, in order to broaden her service offering.
This is costing her around £3500 per year.
I was hoping that she could offset this against her income, but it would seem that, if it is "new knowledge" she cannot, as she is a sole trader.
My question is really this: Is there ANY way that this would be an allowable cost against the business? It seems rather unfair that she will potentially be earning shed-loads more income from having this qualification, and will be taxed on the income accordingly, but cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the training.
Could she capitalise the cost and then offset it against future earnings?
Or, how about if she were to become a Ltd Co now (she has been saying she wants to go Ltd)? Could she somehow carry forward these costs from last year to offset against company profits?
If anyone out there can help me I would appreciate it so much, I've only got a few weeks to sort it out for her!
- Where has Portia gone? 5,055 110
- Help 169 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 93 2
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 223 9
- Overlap profit 294 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 319 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,064 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 135 1
- Payments on account 188 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 85 1
- What do your junior staff do? 525 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 655 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 415 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 537 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 132 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,944 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 355 3
- On the high seas 116 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 860 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 853
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 342
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 313
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181