Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 202 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,194 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 320 6
- Go Cardless 365 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 299 3
- Mehjoo 321 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 92 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 346 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 186 4
- SA302 323 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 284 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 212 4
- Hmrc software 248 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 159 1
- Hosted email exchange 185 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 344 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 324 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 251 7
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 203
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 201
- Domain name sale and limited company 177
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151