Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- Directors and unemployment benefit 57 6
- What should the partnership dissolution look like, and what is accounting treatment for goodwill? 33 3
- Director self assessment 34 4
- Which address 59 3
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 337 5
- That old chestnut 429 8
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 149 2
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 356 8
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 234 5
- How to tell HMRC Limited Co. is active 267 5
- MAAT vs ACCA 1,991 36
- at wits end 1,518 37
- And they want HMRC to take money from bank accounts! 825 17
- Helping clients with bookkeeping but not a bookkeeper 771 19
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,453 20
- Wear & Tear Allowances 325 7
- Supply to Irish State Body 227 2
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 348 3
- Non controlling shares - how to set up 255 9
- IR35 - relationship of WIP 684 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 408
- CTA study material 361
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 271
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 253
- new capital structure ltd with investors 205
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 201
- Pre incorp expenses 201
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 181
- Slight twist on employment related securities 174
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 157