Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 346 13
- capital gains on PPR 223 12
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 142 7
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,780 441
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 114 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,283 62
- Company expansion 74 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 367 6
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 159 3
- Pension Contributions Relief 488 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 514 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,471 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 236 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 157 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 147 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 290 9
- PRR 365 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 404 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 316 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 439 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 369
- Non Resident 296
- Franchise income and costs 260
- Hands on experience of Digita 214
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 165
- employment capital allowances 161
- CIS paid under reg 9 157