Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 160 3
- FPS or EPS 24 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 745 31
- Personal allowance 650 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 147 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,898 16
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 105 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 421 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,105 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 288 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 379 10
- VAT on employee loan 299 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 956 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 155 2
- Accountants website 393 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 174 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 486 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 107 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 123 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,417 20
- Moving away from CCH software 940
- QROP pension input amounts 433
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 348
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 314
- fraud 273
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 200
- EPS and CIS deductions 188