Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 37 1
- break even point 514 14
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 75 4
- IHT Query 199 4
- How much to charge? 53 1
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 361 9
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 414 2
- BrightPay 674 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 227 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 428 8
- Abolish the penalty regime 202 4
- Gift or Capital Gain? 372 11
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 374 8
- SDLT on leases 128 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 384 7
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 947 26
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 307 4
- Statutary sick pay 226 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 320 4
- Director Salary 376 2
- Possible Partnership? 457
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 431
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 422
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 223
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 219
- Clubs and Taxable Income 213
- Income tax on foreign dividends 204
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 200
- New Fangled Penalties 200
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 168