Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 263 8
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 205 6
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 192 3
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 410 15
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 245 4
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 180 3
- Claiming accommodation as employment expense? 95 1
- Sage Line 50 83 2
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,221 16
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,925 58
- mileage claim via self assessment - how far back? 134 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 996 24
- HMRC Post 330 5
- Freelance/Employee 574 14
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 533 11
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 335 8
- Employment Allowance 377 3
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,417 13
- Auto-enrolment staging dates, letters etc 213 4
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 994 21
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 400
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 370
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 344
- Electric Car 282
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 177
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 166
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 162
- AIA 153