Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 209 6
- New business - journal entries 371 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 211 3
- Payroll software 633 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 245 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 382 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 720 18
- B2B vat in the EU 173 4
- Coding Notice 207 6
- VAT on Hire Purchase 128 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 192 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 217 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 186 4
- LLP as member of LLP 126 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,816 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 496 7
- Vat 295 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,297 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 216 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 187 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 845
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 716
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 401
- Social investment tax relief 216
- Digita Hosted Software 209
- Call Centre Data Costs 197
- accounting for this transaction 176
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 170
- Travel costs and contractors 165
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 157