Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 331 5
- Not a question but made my day 690 15
- Does reputation of a tax agent affect likelihood of a HMRC audit 312 4
- Family property company Benefit in Kind and ATED issues 113 1
- PPR ELECTION 341 10
- Microsoft One Drive 281 8
- Capital Allowances for cars/hackney carriages 121 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 392 4
- Invoices 172 1
- Accounts Package 311 8
- Question about VAT Group Registration 143 1
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 655 18
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 276 3
- Repayment of Share Capital 417 8
- VAT on property 159 1
- Late night meals self employed 388 2
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 431 9
- EBT Self Assessment Return 279 1
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,927 18
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 150 1
- NHS finance professionals 577
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 383
- Foreign Pension Contribution 354
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 334
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 315
- vat gross profit percentage margins 313
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 290
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 258
- Thinning income 240
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 212