Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- Client Death 461 8
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 120 6
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 357 4
- Unallocated client money 72 2
- Expenses Apps 115 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 904 14
- Tick & Bash Bristol 510 8
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 135 7
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 127 2
- Can anyone recommend an EPOS system for a newsagents 193 2
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 149 5
- LLP ex-member not being paid accrued profits 104 4
- Luncheon vouchers - Class 1 NICs 144 4
- Quick Easy Quote 143 2
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 101 1
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,892 37
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 87 1
- monthly payments 333 5
- Errors in prior year accounts 640 17
- Work experience - pay 174 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 594
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 469
- Sorry ignore me 364
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 364
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 293
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 274
- Cancelled 229
- Cancelled 200
- Bartercard 163
- C79 Discrepancy 159