Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 102 1
- Instant CPD offer 272 4
- Cash basis 504 13
- Income from rent charged to business 102 2
- payroll software 357 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 434 5
- Statutory sick pay 296 4
- Dividend in specie 361 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 216 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 172 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 268 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 293 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 163 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 372 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,853 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 328 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 252 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 103 1
- Investor exit 196 3
- Skandia using wrong address 567
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 303
- Employee rewards 287
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 245
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 226
- Etax Australian 185
- LLP in Construction Industry 151
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 131
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 130