Solicitor's Accounts - double entry???
can someone pls give me an overview of the basic double entry transactions involved with regards to a client's account.... i'm AAT qualified and have been doing bookkeeping for several years and my employer now wants to train me up in this area as well, he will be sending me on a specialist course soon but has advised me to start doing research before hand as part of the professional development etc... so i've had a look around and am trying to make sense of things, i have done 3-way reconciliations etc. and am aware of the client and office accounts as well... i'm just having trouble trying to put things into perspective as far as the double entry is concerned...and he has also told me to read through the Solicitor's Accounts Rules latest version, so that is something i am doing but in order to understand the handbook i need to have the fundamentals sorted first...
A client, Mr. Dean pays WK Solicitors £57,000 for his case....
WK Solicitors incur expenses on behalf of the client, and the money goes out from the client account... are these known as disbursements? these amount to £12,000, i am also aware that some transactions of this sort are settled via the office account, so they would transfer £12,000 from client to office a/c and pay the disbursement on behalf of the client in that way
WK Solicitors also have fees of £32,500 for the case
i know that there comes a point where a bill is raised to account for the above....
What would be the double entry for all this please? i've tried to come up with a solution but it doesn't make sense.... i'll continue researching and trying to come up with the answers but in the meantime will definitely appreciate any input from more experienced members on this site.... i know that they will go through this on the course, but that is months away and to be honest i would like to go in having at least the basics covered.... many thanks for your help!!
p.s. i've had a look through this site and have printed out the questions/answers related to this topic as well... however, they are not specifically relevant to my query...
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 176 6
- BEST CPD COURSE 67 1
- Total cost of employment 240 3
- Accountancy software for an imac 242 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 509 10
- VAT Option to tax 321 4
- directors loan movements and repayments 224 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 879 16
- Consortium relief and bad debts 64 2
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 34 1
- Business travel apps 63 2
- EIS - connection through employment 55 1
- Weely paid employees 320 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 103 2
- Help car benefit 188 5
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 162 5
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 79 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,467 11
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 76 1
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 142 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 891
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 624
- Free Tax Legislation? 380
- Director Loan account operation 377
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 322
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 301
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 276
- Paye procedures for CVA 208
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 197