Solicitors work in progress
Under new rules that came into effect on 30 April 2010 the majority of personal injury claims (specifically Road Traffic Accidents) are now treated under the Fixed Cost scheme. How have people valued work in progress for a Law Firm under this basis and in compliance with UITF40? I imagine there must be a lot of 31.3.2011 year-ends where this has now had to be valued. Historically many accountants have relied upon the unknown outcome and valued WIP as £nil, however under the new scheme I cannot see how this can continue.
If a Law Firm has say 1,000 cases. The following situations will arise:
- A % of these cases will fail at any early stage due to bad claims/negligence etc and therefore WIP will be £nil (?)
- A % of these cases will fall outside the scheme, e.g. where liability is not admitted by the defendant insurer. WIP can therefore be valued as £nil if the outcome cannot reasonably be valued or known until settlement of the matter. A nominal value under FRS5 could be attributed based upon wage cost for example.
- A % of cases will be prior to Stage 1 completion (the defendant insurer is considering the claim) and therefore £nil WIP as liability is unknown?
- A % of cases will be prior to Stage 2 completion (the defendant insurer has admitted liability and the claim is being valued by the claimant)
- A % of cases will be prior to Stage 3 completion (the claim has been valued but there is some negotiation as to final quantum)
- A % of cases will have completed Stage 3, the judge has determined the claim, either by paper or oral hearing
Throughout this process, interim payments may have been paid to the claimant solicitor (e.g. £400 for Stage 1, £800 for Stage 2) which would reduce WIP by the corresponding amount.
On the expense side.........the firm has paid a referal fee in advance to obtain the case, lets say £750. Normally this would be prepaid over the length of the case, historically say 7 months so that WIP is matched with the expense. The treatment of prepaid referral fees would have to match the treatment of WIP as detailed above!
From any accounting perspective this seems incredibly complicated.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated !
- Directors loan accounts 29 2
- New Practice 134 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 83 2
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 790 28
- Goods Purchased for Rental 523 29
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 232 3
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,124 16
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 87 1
- Taxfiler V's BTC 616 23
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,988 25
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 429 8
- Valuation of business 307 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 160 7
- Dividend Payments 413 10
- I.d for vat registration 178 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 149 4
- builder's 'cost only' job 193 1
- Myfirmsapp 636 13
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 289 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 185 3
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 588
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 515
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 356
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 335
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 229
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 222
- Quickbooks 2015 152