Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Accountancy work for Farmers 186 7
- Feuding directors 469 18
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 144 1
- PAYE for a babysitter? 194 13
- cancellation of Engagement 344 8
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 577 19
- How to complain about HMRC 124 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 284 2
- Lloyds bank ... 108 1
- Instant CPD - is it any good? 49 1
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 388 12
- Agent Change of Postal Address 202 3
- Protocol on SEIS & EIS 56 1
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 128 2
- Fastest Software 723 12
- Capital allowances 158 1
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 273 7
- Foreign branch in SME 134 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,283 21
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 168 1
- CTA study material 655
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 397
- Employment related securities question 250
- ATED Penalties 226
- AIM Stocks and IHT 204
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 176
- Trust for Employee 161
- Expat pension contributions? 155
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 108
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 107