Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Self-assessment statistics 2,477 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 231 5
- Transmission of ISA 52 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 201 2
- Next Move 720 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 197 2
- Not renewing AAT 680 9
- CGT of shares gifted 385 6
- New dividend taxation 515 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,802 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 173 1
- Company car v company allowance 298 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 439 9
- Company formation and bank account 449 9
- Owning overseas property 362 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 294 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 294 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 713 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 748 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 296 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 671
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 410
- Property letting & CAs 400
- 2015 tax year end 398
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 397
- FCA regulated company in a small group 348
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 323
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 242
- Costly Accounting Software contract 219
- DTA tie-breaker issue 213