Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 603 22
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 858 36
- Self Assessment and P11D 48 1
- TRONC scheme 100 1
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 108 3
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 106 1
- Investment from Friend 135 8
- Advice on letting a client go ? 680 13
- Capital Gains Relief 144 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,599 29
- Identity check problem 1,248 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 183 3
- Business Set up cost 103 1
- Aged Debtor 81 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 962 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 98 3
- blank - ignore 499 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 87 2
- calculate mortgage interest 364 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 458 9
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 876
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 574
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 541
- Latest phishing scam 472
- Entrepreneurs' relief 418
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 342
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 320
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 242
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 235
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 165