Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Glass-half-full member of the year? 258 10
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,232 64
- Help needed.... 62 2
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 33 1
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 394 7
- Freight Forwarders - VAT 110 4
- Non sequitur 355 4
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 43 1
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 326 6
- HMRC website error 169 1
- Fixed asset registers 160 7
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 667 1
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 171 3
- Entrepeneurs Relief 94 1
- Opening balance and suspense account on sage line 50 36 1
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 300 10
- What is wrong with HMRC? 346 3
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 269 8
- Boffin of the Year 471 15
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 225 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,325
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 344
- Alphabet shares 225
- Agent fees to sell business 221
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 213
- Office recharges 175
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 159
- Charge out rates in London 151
- which entity 144