Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- 5th April 352 14
- VAT on exports to EU 105 4
- s455 Directors loan 246 4
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 601 24
- Company buy back of shares from directors 220 11
- Please tell me what to do!! 387 8
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,995 33
- Cash basis 150 5
- Cash basis 808 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 286 2
- Investor exit 255 4
- client threatening legal action 2,326 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 145 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 246 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 351 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,597 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 341 9
- Rental income 178 2
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 78 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,198 8
- Skandia using wrong address 616
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 328
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 275
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 239
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 155
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 145
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 141