Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 403 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 135 2
- 12 Pay Problems 211 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 203 3
- Deduction from Salary 238 7
- Sole properietor 57 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 77 1
- Redudancy 37 1
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 44 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 464 13
- VAT - Recharge 80 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 346 4
- transitioning payroll 169 4
- Legal title not in the company name 197 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,609 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 162 3
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,752 30
- Car financed by employee 192 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 137 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 625 16
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 361
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 306
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 269
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 225
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 201
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 171