Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 99 4
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 115 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 310 6
- CGT history of shares 161 3
- CGT on sale of let property 84 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 136 2
- how do i get UTR 102 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 70 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 223 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 341 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 105 1
- Your comments please 290 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 173 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 104 2
- EIS 191 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 104 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 107 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 104 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 712 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 198 1
- Moving away from CCH software 964
- QROP pension input amounts 449
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 393
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 375
- fraud 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 273
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 224
- EPS and CIS deductions 219
- Out of time or not? 202