Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Director registration for SA question 401 16
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 106 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 234 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 484 22
- Voluntary Disclosure 82 1
- valuation of vehicles 385 16
- Business only use of company car 674 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 500 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 298 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 930 29
- New Company reviews please 528 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 297 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 197 2
- VAT with Russia 204 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 230 4
- Money Laundering Manual 299 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 239 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,106 29
- directors loan 344 8
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 370 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 292
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 242
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 237
- Any thoughts on Capium? 221
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 216
- auto enrolment 184
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 174
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 151
- How to account for investment in JV? 148
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 147