Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 414 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,531 283
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,000 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 198 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 67 1
- Circular shareholding 199 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 176 6
- business card address 270 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 207 2
- Declined for business bank account 168 4
- Loan to a related company 68 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 632 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 323 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 243 8
- property rental income split 115 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 132 2
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 100 1
- Payroll provider 163 5
- How do we report and pay tax liability of company car we give to employee? 150 1
- Family loan 363 8
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,110
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 363
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 299
- National Insurance 268
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 238
- Payments on account coded out?? 226
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 219
- Non Resident 184
- Franchise income and costs 174
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 170