Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 249 11
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 292 6
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 242 6
- Potentially dodgy client 225 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 542 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 427 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 392 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 500 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 442 13
- Do I need to pay my accountant 588 8
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 186 6
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 327 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 643 8
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 143 2
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 167 3
- Lloyds bank ... 458 6
- Limited company buying a car 265 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 507 10
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 314 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 323 4
- CTA study material 778
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 411
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 288
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 262
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 197
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 150