Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 295 7
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,346 25
- HMRC enquiry - PAYE error / RTI 198 2
- AML reporting to NCA 37 1
- Accounting for display stands 36 1
- VAT on new build property 259 5
- Who gets the CGT deduction 96 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,775 15
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,386 24
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 547 16
- Outsourcing 77 1
- Is it any of my business ? 1,271 13
- Goodwill on incorporation 164 1
- HMRC - Online services - Anyone else having problems ? 180 2
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 395 5
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 180 1
- Insurance provider not VAT registered so Out of Scope ? 313 9
- . 284 4
- 31st october deadline 314 5
- Ltd Co / Summer House 236 1
- NHS finance professionals 692
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 423
- Foreign Pension Contribution 391
- vat gross profit percentage margins 381
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 377
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 371
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 324
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 295
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 262
- IFA income recognition & reporting 219