Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- Could i ask for a bit of help please. 135 6
- Filling in my self assessment 629 14
- Should small companies be audited? 959 41
- Mileage claim restriction 348 3
- Self Assessment employed and self employed 80 1
- You know you're an accountant when... 1,378 41
- Overlap profit 563 15
- What does PITA mean? 361 9
- career 338 2
- Help required please 436 10
- Skype treating businesses as private consumers; no VAT invoices 451 1
- Help - ACCA uk practicing certification forms 209 3
- Vat to be Paid? 186 3
- CGT base cost 298 11
- A little bit of politics 423 5
- Ultimate Controlling Party Disclosure Questions 236 5
- RSU and double taxation 148 1
- Can i really not unreconcile a vat return in sage? 163 1
- Assets transferred at cost 209 5
- currency exchange rates across FY 104 1
- Sanzar 451
- Digital marketing focus group 374
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 333
- Continuity Agreement 288
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 270
- Buyback 262
- Sainsbury's mangement 257
- Avanti Accounts 240
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 198
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 171