Splitting a directors loan account
Here's one for you.....
Property investment company, owned by one family. Mum & Dad are majority shareholders and are looking to exit.
Mum & Dad have a large Director Loan Account (DLA) +£700k, and it is unlikely that this will be fully repaid. The balance arose because of Mum & Dad selling property to the company, whilst not receiving payment from the company. As far as we can tell, having just taken this client over, all properties were sold at arms' length, using 3rd party valuations etc.
All of which leaves our client with a large asset for IHT purposes, which is extremely unlikely to be repaid by the company. Could Mum & Dad gift part of their DLA to the other directors / their kids? Am I right in assuming this would be a P.E.T.? Are there any other issues I've missed?
We can assume that Mum & Dad will be happy to gift part/all of their DLA balance.
Thanks in advance!
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 340 4
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 293 13
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,885 63
- Rights of Alphabet shares 328 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 237 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 101 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 631 14
- Incorporation and goodwill 278 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 397 4
- Domain name sale and limited company 269 1
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 271 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,806 14
- Payroll Software Recommendations 266 8
- indexation factors 111 3
- Drector renting room to company 238 5
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 95 2
- Property Revaluation - Postings 111 2
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 454 10
- It gets worse ! 258 1
- R&D claim 95 3
- Xtuple 583
- Qtac payroll for bureau 409
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 353
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 224
- Tax on damages received 205
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 164
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 149
- PTP Software 142
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141