Splitting Employment between two business - National Insurance Implications
I wonder if you might be able to help.
I am an Accountant, but this is not something that comes up often.
I am involved with a manufactring company, and we are looking to purchase another company.
It does similar things, and would be housed within the same premises.
There would be a separate phone line to the business, separate website, and would continue to be a separate business. It would pay a share of the rent, electric and gas etc. The business has a good brand and has a retail arm, which is the reason we want to keep the business separate.
The business requires employees, and the current employees of the business would not continue - for various reasons, including wanting to retire, too far to travel etc. So there are obviously redundancy and various other problems etc when taking over the business, however my question is regarding ongoing National Insurance.
We currently have the staffing capacity to run both businesses, and would like to split the cost of three of our employees (we have 7, not including the directors).
These employees would be the ones involved with the work of that business, but it would not require all of their time.
One is admin, one is required for running the machines (specific to that business) and one is required for finishing and packaging. The other is in admin - answering the phone for the business, preparing orders, dealing with customer orders, invoicing and bookkeeping etc.
The split, while not 100% accurate, would be done realistically, so each business' cost reflects its actual cost.
The businesses are owned by the same shareholders (although not in exactly the same proportion), and run by the same three directors.
As you can see, there are valid business reasons for the split, however I also realise that there would be national insurance savings for both us and the employees involved, and so I wonder if this is prohibited somewhere, or whether it is ok since there are valid business reasons.
I would be very grateful for any help you could provide, because I don't want to open ourselves up to problems.
All the best.
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 93 3
- Sole properietor 129 4
- transitioning payroll 213 8
- dividend proposals 65 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 211 2
- Deduction from Salary 274 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 170 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,691 60
- Dividend dates 537 9
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 73 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 426 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 153 2
- 12 Pay Problems 242 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 234 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 80 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 476 13
- VAT - Recharge 92 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 352 4
- Legal title not in the company name 233 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 308
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 280
- Probiz 270
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 227
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 226
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 174