Splitting Employment between two business - National Insurance Implications
I wonder if you might be able to help.
I am an Accountant, but this is not something that comes up often.
I am involved with a manufactring company, and we are looking to purchase another company.
It does similar things, and would be housed within the same premises.
There would be a separate phone line to the business, separate website, and would continue to be a separate business. It would pay a share of the rent, electric and gas etc. The business has a good brand and has a retail arm, which is the reason we want to keep the business separate.
The business requires employees, and the current employees of the business would not continue - for various reasons, including wanting to retire, too far to travel etc. So there are obviously redundancy and various other problems etc when taking over the business, however my question is regarding ongoing National Insurance.
We currently have the staffing capacity to run both businesses, and would like to split the cost of three of our employees (we have 7, not including the directors).
These employees would be the ones involved with the work of that business, but it would not require all of their time.
One is admin, one is required for running the machines (specific to that business) and one is required for finishing and packaging. The other is in admin - answering the phone for the business, preparing orders, dealing with customer orders, invoicing and bookkeeping etc.
The split, while not 100% accurate, would be done realistically, so each business' cost reflects its actual cost.
The businesses are owned by the same shareholders (although not in exactly the same proportion), and run by the same three directors.
As you can see, there are valid business reasons for the split, however I also realise that there would be national insurance savings for both us and the employees involved, and so I wonder if this is prohibited somewhere, or whether it is ok since there are valid business reasons.
I would be very grateful for any help you could provide, because I don't want to open ourselves up to problems.
All the best.
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 18 1
- VAT - How hard is it? 131 7
- Xero Pain Points 21 1
- Can I force IRIS to produce an amended tax return ? 174 5
- The importance of Grammar 690 20
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 723 16
- Fees for successfully defending a COP9 enquiry 341 12
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,495 53
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 77 1
- Is this dodgy? 723 17
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 131 5
- Its going to be fun isnt it? 1,258 15
- Capital Allowances on new property 102 5
- Trustees waiving dividend 70 1
- Directors loan balance write off in period 432 21
- Education - Pre made assembly! 197 2
- Childcare 220 3
- VAT Reverse Charge Accounting 182 4
- Entrepreneur Relief - inter company shares 150 2
- Sole Trader 307 6
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 354
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 289
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 273
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 273
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 262
- Electric Car 218
- S222 Charge 197
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 190
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 187
- Company Structure 168