Splitting Employment between two business - National Insurance Implications
I wonder if you might be able to help.
I am an Accountant, but this is not something that comes up often.
I am involved with a manufactring company, and we are looking to purchase another company.
It does similar things, and would be housed within the same premises.
There would be a separate phone line to the business, separate website, and would continue to be a separate business. It would pay a share of the rent, electric and gas etc. The business has a good brand and has a retail arm, which is the reason we want to keep the business separate.
The business requires employees, and the current employees of the business would not continue - for various reasons, including wanting to retire, too far to travel etc. So there are obviously redundancy and various other problems etc when taking over the business, however my question is regarding ongoing National Insurance.
We currently have the staffing capacity to run both businesses, and would like to split the cost of three of our employees (we have 7, not including the directors).
These employees would be the ones involved with the work of that business, but it would not require all of their time.
One is admin, one is required for running the machines (specific to that business) and one is required for finishing and packaging. The other is in admin - answering the phone for the business, preparing orders, dealing with customer orders, invoicing and bookkeeping etc.
The split, while not 100% accurate, would be done realistically, so each business' cost reflects its actual cost.
The businesses are owned by the same shareholders (although not in exactly the same proportion), and run by the same three directors.
As you can see, there are valid business reasons for the split, however I also realise that there would be national insurance savings for both us and the employees involved, and so I wonder if this is prohibited somewhere, or whether it is ok since there are valid business reasons.
I would be very grateful for any help you could provide, because I don't want to open ourselves up to problems.
All the best.
- effective advertising 166 3
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 272 5
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 118 2
- Put fees on website 236 6
- Director resignation 179 4
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 166 7
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,500 27
- Can't find a good web address 115 1
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,280 4
- Sigma Red 1,393 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 339 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 91 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 169 2
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 442 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 491 7
- VAT Variation Team 196 3
- Sage help please 305 4
- charges for storing documents 200 1
- Share scheme annual returns problem 95 1
- VAT in Eu 87 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 475
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 460
- WIP Software 332
- No payroll scheme in place 286
- Is there anything wrong with this? 255
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 249
- Small Part Disposal of Property 225
- Uncommercial property business 218
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 189
- SA Penalty 180