SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 86 2
- Spam blocking 360 24
- Ex-gratia payments 262 6
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 170 6
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 91 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 310 6
- A little silliness 197 2
- Just for fun. 791 26
- HMRC & daft penalty 605 6
- TOMS - the other side of the fence 126 2
- &^$%ing Mollom? 204 2
- Employment status 259 4
- Has auto-enrolment tipped the scales? 117 1
- P11D help 101 2
- VAT on purchase of plant from Germany 142 4
- Contract Hire Van, reclaiming input VAT 132 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,710 12
- HMRC Email 382 6
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 261 10
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,394 21
- Theatre Tax Relief 485
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 381
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 374
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 348
- Perkbox 313
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 308
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 273
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 271
- Document Management Systems 253
- WIP Software 236