SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,148 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 700 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 67 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 254 8
- recompense capital input 193 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 105 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 229 2
- CT losses carry back 99 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 164 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 768 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 419 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,277 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 148 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 230 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 215 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 259 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 564
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185