SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- Closing my business down 188 10
- Ordering same-day transactions 17 1
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 126 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,257 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,479 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 887 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 39 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 144 2
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 171 1
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 229 3
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 620 13
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 241 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 193 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 147 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 307 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 99 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,119 18
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 432 6
- FPS or EPS 185 2
- Continuity of Practice 232 2
- Moving away from CCH software 957
- QROP pension input amounts 443
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 387
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 361
- fraud 288
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 263
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 232
- Construction CIS LLP Company 215
- EPS and CIS deductions 204
- Out of time or not? 186