SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 951 29
- You know its over 336 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 487 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 220 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 172 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 159 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 247 3
- Cocaine anyone? 511 8
- Late Registration for VAT 487 13
- EIS/SEIS 143 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 276 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 417 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 424 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 719 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 555 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 591 4
- Personal pension 402 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 222 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,219 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 175 3
- Hive up 492
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 458
- corporate hierarchy 438
- Advice - 272
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 226
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 207
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 200
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 181
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 175