SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- Web sites 15 1
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 320 10
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 244 2
- Recharge for private use of a company car 539 17
- how to object to registered company name... 283 2
- Capitalising purchased software 70 1
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 118 2
- Property income in different capacities 236 5
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 492 12
- CGT 460 19
- CGT 277 5
- Vat registration exception 119 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 459 10
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 115 1
- Charity Grant accounting 101 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 851 46
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 246 5
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 412 8
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 455 5
- VAT QUESTION 349 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,209
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 805
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 503
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 296
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 231
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 175
- TheTax Donut 150
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 149
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 144