SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- Account and Taxable Profit 244 14
- Probate services 421 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 350 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,698 37
- Accounting for corporation tax 173 5
- Vat payable on van 98 1
- Class 2 NIC 230 4
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,829 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 237 7
- Community Faux Pas 918 26
- Cash gift from India 97 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,304 40
- Windows10 163 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 620 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 467 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 217 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 379 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 868 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 788 14
- An IT question 289 6
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 300
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 246
- Payroll manager and the cloud 215
- Is the APN valid 196