SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- Directors liability insurance and scope 56 3
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 527 11
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 34 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 189 3
- VAT - Medical Staff 87 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 88 2
- VAT 701/49 query 129 1
- backpack 79 1
- FCA regulated company in a small group 368 1
- Are you going to Xerocon? 1,119 27
- Questions from Liquidator 2,191 23
- Really?! 328 4
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 351 7
- Is the CT61 return dead? 142 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 805 10
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,012 14
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 536 8
- SSP and Contractual Sick Pay Query 358 9
- Commercial Premises Purchase using Company Profits 495 13
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 376 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 698
- 2015 tax year end 427
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 407
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 337
- Costly Accounting Software contract 284
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 250
- Directors' advances and credits 238
- DTA tie-breaker issue 234
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 216
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 196