SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- Dispensation pointless ? 467 12
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 78 2
- Is Hold over relief available? 77 4
- can I claim a per diem 161 3
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 235 7
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 804 10
- Linux Accounting Software 525 11
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,180 27
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 435 14
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 355 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 218 5
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 374 8
- Business Christmas Greetings 828 17
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 484 11
- SME Direct Debit 730 12
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,092 18
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 168 6
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 335 6
- r&d payable tax credits 81 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 479 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 808
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 496
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 311
- How to format a stock book 275
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 223
- Tax efficient holding company structure 216
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 206
- Investment property company accounts template 200
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 178
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 175