SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- HMRC filing meltdown? 62 3
- Limited Companies Merger 168 4
- eBay trading 192 4
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 172 17
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 246 10
- Self assesment online 866 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,092 46
- childcare 74 3
- Childcare voucher schemes 215 8
- What sectors to target? 524 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 120 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 436 12
- PAYE Control Visit 175 2
- Practice management 330 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 196 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 247 8
- Capital allowances on Software 119 1
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 214 10
- Pension contribution 160 3
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 230 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 918
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 637
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 568
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 396
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 302
- Scratch Head 223
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Capital allowances in first basis period 209
- Sabbatical payments 189