SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- Funding Circle experience 8 1
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 661 20
- Awkward IP 1,451 16
- New supplier 55 2
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 43 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 199 12
- Audit 347 9
- Buying a horse?? 263 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 202 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,090 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 962 11
- What's in a name ? 1,129 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 219 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 793 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 499 7
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 786 22
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,121 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 144 1
- carry back of gift aid 197 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 313 8
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 437
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 273
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 271
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 210
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154