SSAP9 - Stocks and long term contracts - Difference of opinion
I would be most grateful for any thoughts, comments and suggestions regarding the following.
The client is a housebuilder, developing large properties (£1m+).
The current development has just had its foundations laid, and steels put in place - basically the first stage has been completed.
Therefore the company has decided to make a claim for payment of £50,000 from the prospective buyer as a sort of stage payment and to ease the developers cash flow.
Whether the company says this is just a payment on account, a stage payment or an invoice, it will be subject to SSAP9 reporting requirements as the project will span at least two accounting periods. Therefore, if the attributable costs and overheads are less than the £50,000, a profit is reportable at the year end, and if the attributable costs are more, a loss should be recognised, and prudence and other principles state it should be immediate (or at the next financial reporting date, like SSAP9 would enforce).
IE value of work completed to date to sales (Cr Sales, Dr Debtors/Amounts recoverable on contracts), attributable costs of work completed to date moved from WIP to Cost of Sales (Cr WIP, Dr CoS), and payment made posted against Amounts recoverable on contract (Dr bank, Cr, Amounts Recov on Contract).
The company argues this is 'just' a payment on account, and therefore does not recognise it in the profit and loss account until the project is completed and the completion invoice is raised. IE perhaps wait two years (until it is completed) before reporting any profit for this development.
It know which I think is the correct option, however it is the FD who has suggested the alternative, and somewhat dismissed the idea of SSAP9. I do not know whether I am worrying too much about it's treatment, or whether the potential SSAP9 position has been overlooked.
Any thoughts highly appreciated.
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 156 2
- Payroll Operation post Trading Cessation 97 1
- Companies House 228 4
- When does my Property business start 292 5
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 895 20
- Gross Profit Percentage 294 6
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 236 10
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 159 1
- How to Value a Business 485 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 167 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 569 13
- How much did you pay for your website 513 13
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 130 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 389 7
- Company Pension Contributions 277 6
- Expenses allowable 202 3
- Let Property Campaign 397 6
- Self employment trap - pension 357 3
- Awkward IP 627 9
- ESC A19 144 2
- CTA study material 604
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 598
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 369
- Employment related securities question 227
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 200
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 179
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 139
- Expat pension contributions? 133
- Trust for Employee 126