Staff tips in a restaurant
I have been asked to quote for preparing the accounts of a limited company which trades as a restaurant.
I am told at the moment that they do not accept tips by credit card and that the staff have all signed letters to say that they will deal with their own tax on tips. However when I asked if the kitchen staff received any tips I was told that they did - everything is pooled and divided out in a manner agreed by the staff. The management take no part in this arrangement.
I am comfortable that no NI is due on the tips because there is no involvement of the company but my feeling is that there should probably be a tronc master since the staff pool the money before distributing it and it's not just a matter of each member of staff dealing with their own tips.
Does anyone have any thoughts or practical suggestions?
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 220 6
- Hello 196 1
- flat rate scheme 1,466 33
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,734 51
- Inputting previous months data into PAYE tools 168 4
- Unpaid share capital 71 1
- 64-8 problems 108 2
- Employer reference not recognised? 111 2
- Business trips - director and family 219 2
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 427 10
- Allocation of income from property 448 12
- Networking 689 6
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 782 10
- VAT refund for DIY house builders 121 1
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 1,078 22
- bookkeeping system 362 5
- Outstanding Loans 126 1
- HELP...historic SSP query! 221 5
- Company van paid by director 222 2
- Private company division 213 2