Started with Paperless office
As a first step towards paperless office management, we have scanned all the tax files of our clients. All future correspondence and workings will be in PDF and attached to existing PDF files. We are using File Center software.
However, we are not sure what we should now do with the existing paper files. Should we just discard them, especially the ones which contain mainly the correspondence and other information which we would have in Excel/word or other software? However, there are important original documents in the files- P60s, P45s, dividend vouchers, bank interest certificates, CIS vouchers, Completion Certificates, mortgage agreements, HP and asset purchase documents etc. Originals of these may be required by clients. So I guess these will need to be removed and sent back to the clients. However, due to the high no. clients and files to go through, it is going to be a time consuming and costly task.
As per HMRC guidance, records need to be kept at least for 5 years from the end of filing date. On this basis, can we destroy everything up to 05/06 tax year, including the some of the above mentioned documents? We are shortly moving to our new premises where space is premium. Therefore we need to take a decision on what to do with the old records.
Furthermore, a lot of clients are now ex-clients. Do you think it is still necessary to scan their files?
We would like to hear the experiences and suggestions from other practitioners who have undergone this before.
- Companies House change of shareholding 555 16
- corporation tax 418 3
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 143 5
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,507 45
- Deleted question? 448 9
- Yorkshire Day 456 31
- Agent help line - long queues? 169 3
- Company Director In Prison 602 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,266 23
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 184 6
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 268 6
- Dividend dates 645 11
- calculation DTR restriction 180 5
- MAAT vs ACCA 601 11
- Flat rate VAT 308 6
- Redundancy pay for directors? 1,307 15
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,853 72
- CRM systems? 117 2
- Accountancy Career 570 13
- Help with HMRC investigation 555 9
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 563
- Cancelled 450
- Cancelled 374
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 368
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 347
- Probiz 345
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 251
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 226
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 220
- More spam 176