Started with Paperless office
As a first step towards paperless office management, we have scanned all the tax files of our clients. All future correspondence and workings will be in PDF and attached to existing PDF files. We are using File Center software.
However, we are not sure what we should now do with the existing paper files. Should we just discard them, especially the ones which contain mainly the correspondence and other information which we would have in Excel/word or other software? However, there are important original documents in the files- P60s, P45s, dividend vouchers, bank interest certificates, CIS vouchers, Completion Certificates, mortgage agreements, HP and asset purchase documents etc. Originals of these may be required by clients. So I guess these will need to be removed and sent back to the clients. However, due to the high no. clients and files to go through, it is going to be a time consuming and costly task.
As per HMRC guidance, records need to be kept at least for 5 years from the end of filing date. On this basis, can we destroy everything up to 05/06 tax year, including the some of the above mentioned documents? We are shortly moving to our new premises where space is premium. Therefore we need to take a decision on what to do with the old records.
Furthermore, a lot of clients are now ex-clients. Do you think it is still necessary to scan their files?
We would like to hear the experiences and suggestions from other practitioners who have undergone this before.
- Sage import sales invoices with due dates 75 2
- Xero - Should I partner with them 413 8
- HP VAT with flat rate scheme 112 1
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 454 7
- Micro entity accounts - cessation of trade 82 1
- Spellcheckers 162 1
- What is IRIS World like? 138 3
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 279 5
- Sage Bank rec 102 1
- ERS reporting - online filing 250 7
- Is business bank account compulsory for all businesses? 121 1
- Transferring debts between company balance sheets. 138 6
- Small Company sold building, how to show in accounts 219 6
- Contract Hire Van, reclaiming input VAT 211 2
- Just for fun. 1,257 46
- Directors Share Purchase 336 14
- Xero Training 150 1
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 385 13
- Is interest still due? 325 8
- Dividend Waiver 165 3
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 396
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 373
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 353
- Perkbox 330
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 278
- Document Management Systems 268
- WIP Software 258
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 193
- No payroll scheme in place 184
- Nomisma feedback? 184