Started with Paperless office
As a first step towards paperless office management, we have scanned all the tax files of our clients. All future correspondence and workings will be in PDF and attached to existing PDF files. We are using File Center software.
However, we are not sure what we should now do with the existing paper files. Should we just discard them, especially the ones which contain mainly the correspondence and other information which we would have in Excel/word or other software? However, there are important original documents in the files- P60s, P45s, dividend vouchers, bank interest certificates, CIS vouchers, Completion Certificates, mortgage agreements, HP and asset purchase documents etc. Originals of these may be required by clients. So I guess these will need to be removed and sent back to the clients. However, due to the high no. clients and files to go through, it is going to be a time consuming and costly task.
As per HMRC guidance, records need to be kept at least for 5 years from the end of filing date. On this basis, can we destroy everything up to 05/06 tax year, including the some of the above mentioned documents? We are shortly moving to our new premises where space is premium. Therefore we need to take a decision on what to do with the old records.
Furthermore, a lot of clients are now ex-clients. Do you think it is still necessary to scan their files?
We would like to hear the experiences and suggestions from other practitioners who have undergone this before.
- Mortgage deposit Gift 223 10
- Loan to a related company 263 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,421 316
- Partnership to Sole Trader 60 2
- FIFA game and making money 567 8
- Amending Share Capital 98 4
- Umbrella Company 50 1
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 408 6
- Family loan 544 9
- Anyone out there with charity accounts experience 79 2
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 237 11
- Father selling son 25% of Property with view to selling rest within 5 years 120 5
- What should I do for 'free' 252 3
- Bonus/Shares 103 5
- Settlement re Offshore Bond 158 1
- EC sales list 101 2
- Repairs after a rental business ends 429 13
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 354 4
- Expenses of overseas employment 182 3
- Paying tax in Angola and uk? 134 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,144
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 375
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 302
- National Insurance 284
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 245
- Payments on account coded out?? 242
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 226
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 206
- Non Resident 197
- Franchise income and costs 182