Started with Paperless office
As a first step towards paperless office management, we have scanned all the tax files of our clients. All future correspondence and workings will be in PDF and attached to existing PDF files. We are using File Center software.
However, we are not sure what we should now do with the existing paper files. Should we just discard them, especially the ones which contain mainly the correspondence and other information which we would have in Excel/word or other software? However, there are important original documents in the files- P60s, P45s, dividend vouchers, bank interest certificates, CIS vouchers, Completion Certificates, mortgage agreements, HP and asset purchase documents etc. Originals of these may be required by clients. So I guess these will need to be removed and sent back to the clients. However, due to the high no. clients and files to go through, it is going to be a time consuming and costly task.
As per HMRC guidance, records need to be kept at least for 5 years from the end of filing date. On this basis, can we destroy everything up to 05/06 tax year, including the some of the above mentioned documents? We are shortly moving to our new premises where space is premium. Therefore we need to take a decision on what to do with the old records.
Furthermore, a lot of clients are now ex-clients. Do you think it is still necessary to scan their files?
We would like to hear the experiences and suggestions from other practitioners who have undergone this before.
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 142 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,068 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 148 2
- What would you do in this situation? 661 14
- Dress code 475 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 507 16
- Project being run jointly 204 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 312 4
- Companies House 609 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 365 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 733 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,446 25
- Help Required 424 10
- directors control and tax problems 302 5
- Fastest Software 806 13
- What's in a name ? 400 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 312 4
- Bulk Invoicing 192 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 185 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 265 2
- CTA study material 714
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 437
- Employment related securities question 274
- AIM Stocks and IHT 252
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 249
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 226
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 213
- Expat pension contributions? 200
- Trust for Employee 197
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 176