Started with Paperless office
As a first step towards paperless office management, we have scanned all the tax files of our clients. All future correspondence and workings will be in PDF and attached to existing PDF files. We are using File Center software.
However, we are not sure what we should now do with the existing paper files. Should we just discard them, especially the ones which contain mainly the correspondence and other information which we would have in Excel/word or other software? However, there are important original documents in the files- P60s, P45s, dividend vouchers, bank interest certificates, CIS vouchers, Completion Certificates, mortgage agreements, HP and asset purchase documents etc. Originals of these may be required by clients. So I guess these will need to be removed and sent back to the clients. However, due to the high no. clients and files to go through, it is going to be a time consuming and costly task.
As per HMRC guidance, records need to be kept at least for 5 years from the end of filing date. On this basis, can we destroy everything up to 05/06 tax year, including the some of the above mentioned documents? We are shortly moving to our new premises where space is premium. Therefore we need to take a decision on what to do with the old records.
Furthermore, a lot of clients are now ex-clients. Do you think it is still necessary to scan their files?
We would like to hear the experiences and suggestions from other practitioners who have undergone this before.
- Enforcing A CCJ 185 5
- reporting salary? 47 1
- Multiple PAYE Schemes 100 2
- Childcare Vouchers 127 2
- Sale of shares and ER 87 3
- Quarterly PAYE 54 1
- Value pricing 458 15
- SDLT - transfer of land into newco 114 4
- Personal Service Company 96 2
- Employment Allowance - Doctors Private Secretaries 98 1
- SA Return issued after P800 received 119 5
- More than one Employment Allowance ? 122 1
- Auto enrolment 267 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,192 25
- Sage Payroll 193 8
- Laptop purchase 1,172 19
- VAT on Gaming Machines 245 1
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 143 3
- VAT 103 1
- Auto enrolment 339 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 753
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 513
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 384
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 361
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 271
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 209
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 209
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 191
- Director Loan account operation 183
- vat return 156