Started with Paperless office
As a first step towards paperless office management, we have scanned all the tax files of our clients. All future correspondence and workings will be in PDF and attached to existing PDF files. We are using File Center software.
However, we are not sure what we should now do with the existing paper files. Should we just discard them, especially the ones which contain mainly the correspondence and other information which we would have in Excel/word or other software? However, there are important original documents in the files- P60s, P45s, dividend vouchers, bank interest certificates, CIS vouchers, Completion Certificates, mortgage agreements, HP and asset purchase documents etc. Originals of these may be required by clients. So I guess these will need to be removed and sent back to the clients. However, due to the high no. clients and files to go through, it is going to be a time consuming and costly task.
As per HMRC guidance, records need to be kept at least for 5 years from the end of filing date. On this basis, can we destroy everything up to 05/06 tax year, including the some of the above mentioned documents? We are shortly moving to our new premises where space is premium. Therefore we need to take a decision on what to do with the old records.
Furthermore, a lot of clients are now ex-clients. Do you think it is still necessary to scan their files?
We would like to hear the experiences and suggestions from other practitioners who have undergone this before.
- NIC question 37 1
- Accountex flash mob 438 15
- IR 35 130 3
- sole trader to ltd company 229 3
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager Connection Problem 130 2
- What to do about Moneylaundering Photo ID when client has no official Photo ID 800 7
- Tax Adviser qualification/courses 90 1
- Child benefit 226 7
- Final accounts - procedure 258 5
- Cash extraction pre-sale 136 3
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 297 10
- Issues involved in an Asset Transfer from a Sports Club to a Charity? 113 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 111 1
- IT systems + software 86 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 401 10
- ACCA UK Practising Certificate 168 2
- Money Laundering and handover 683 4
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,532 29
- Property sale split between years 310 10
- Capital introduction 251 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 647
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 408
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 339
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 304
- Using the correct forms 301
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 289
- Digital marketing focus group 199
- Sage Vat return box 2 198