Started with Paperless office
As a first step towards paperless office management, we have scanned all the tax files of our clients. All future correspondence and workings will be in PDF and attached to existing PDF files. We are using File Center software.
However, we are not sure what we should now do with the existing paper files. Should we just discard them, especially the ones which contain mainly the correspondence and other information which we would have in Excel/word or other software? However, there are important original documents in the files- P60s, P45s, dividend vouchers, bank interest certificates, CIS vouchers, Completion Certificates, mortgage agreements, HP and asset purchase documents etc. Originals of these may be required by clients. So I guess these will need to be removed and sent back to the clients. However, due to the high no. clients and files to go through, it is going to be a time consuming and costly task.
As per HMRC guidance, records need to be kept at least for 5 years from the end of filing date. On this basis, can we destroy everything up to 05/06 tax year, including the some of the above mentioned documents? We are shortly moving to our new premises where space is premium. Therefore we need to take a decision on what to do with the old records.
Furthermore, a lot of clients are now ex-clients. Do you think it is still necessary to scan their files?
We would like to hear the experiences and suggestions from other practitioners who have undergone this before.
- Cashflow forecasting software 245 3
- Letter to HMRC over 3 months ago, still no reply 1,897 19
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 240 4
- Turnover on a tax return 181 7
- incorrect old p60 390 9
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 228 3
- VAT refund 130 1
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 210 1
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 258 3
- Missing tax return 379 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,100 30
- Inflation and fees 1,395 24
- Sage Priority Support 182 3
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 835 24
- Micro-entity accounts 268 1
- Related party disclosure 225 3
- Company reconstruction 159 1
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 244 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 166 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 187 1