Started with Paperless office
As a first step towards paperless office management, we have scanned all the tax files of our clients. All future correspondence and workings will be in PDF and attached to existing PDF files. We are using File Center software.
However, we are not sure what we should now do with the existing paper files. Should we just discard them, especially the ones which contain mainly the correspondence and other information which we would have in Excel/word or other software? However, there are important original documents in the files- P60s, P45s, dividend vouchers, bank interest certificates, CIS vouchers, Completion Certificates, mortgage agreements, HP and asset purchase documents etc. Originals of these may be required by clients. So I guess these will need to be removed and sent back to the clients. However, due to the high no. clients and files to go through, it is going to be a time consuming and costly task.
As per HMRC guidance, records need to be kept at least for 5 years from the end of filing date. On this basis, can we destroy everything up to 05/06 tax year, including the some of the above mentioned documents? We are shortly moving to our new premises where space is premium. Therefore we need to take a decision on what to do with the old records.
Furthermore, a lot of clients are now ex-clients. Do you think it is still necessary to scan their files?
We would like to hear the experiences and suggestions from other practitioners who have undergone this before.
- Why .... 407 6
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 568 17
- Freehold Property Depreciation 323 15
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 87 2
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 594 2
- Relevant life plan 125 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 244 4
- Non domicile swiss bank 41 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 401 9
- Accounting for Film Rights 118 4
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 195 2
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 201 7
- Limited Company expenses 208 6
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 295 3
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 290 5
- Software recommendations? 238 3
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 122 2
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 336 3
- Shares paid - petty cash 218 4
- Is an ex-gratia payment to a company taxable 180 5
- Possible Partnership? 573
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 491
- New Fangled Penalties 376
- Clubs and Taxable Income 308
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 282
- Loans to other companies 231
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 225
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 196
- Outsource Data Entry 188
- Moving away from CCH software 172