I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Closing my business down 59 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 836 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 254 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 247 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 190 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 78 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 580 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,238 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,462 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 183 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 90 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 284 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 82 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,089 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 404 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 146 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 215 3
- FPS or EPS 162 2
- Continuity of Practice 216 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 141 2
- Moving away from CCH software 953
- QROP pension input amounts 440
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 382
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 357
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 257
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 228
- Construction CIS LLP Company 212
- EPS and CIS deductions 199