I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 945 46
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 580 13
- Taxi Plate & Car 134 2
- Filing amended tax return 82 1
- Tier One Tribunal 174 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 820 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 116 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 97 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 253 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 143 2
- Another transfer of property 145 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 219 7
- LEL and PAYE registration 113 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 189 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 190 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 564 14
- SA316s 229 3
- Swiching tax 553 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 542 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 403 11
- Construction CIS LLP Company 613
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 597
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 358
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 296
- Using the correct forms 271
- RTI - duplicate employee record 265
- SA penalty proposals 259
- Accelerated payment notices 240
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 235