I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 298 9
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 196 9
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 243 5
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 255 10
- Corporation Tax DTR 921 9
- PAYE NI 188 4
- Client information from previous accountant 223 4
- Subcontracting accountancy work 79 1
- break even point 1,037 31
- Tasbook email configuration 211 3
- Unpaid Fee's 417 7
- VAT flat rate scheme 217 3
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 245 4
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 129 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 404 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 232 2
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,690 31
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 163 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 840 14
- How much to charge? 719 10
- Possible Partnership? 519
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 499
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 470
- New Fangled Penalties 314
- Clubs and Taxable Income 264
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 261
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 256
- Loans to other companies 198
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 173
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 163