I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 122 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 111 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 763 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 404 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,452 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 184 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 471 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 142 3
- What would you do in this situation? 224 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 157 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 627 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 656 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 118 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 358 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 256 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 225 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 429 6
- NOVA 559 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 290 10
- Regional Development Grant 138 4
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 386
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 300
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 263
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 198
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 191
- Company Car Lease 170
- Finance Lease 161
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 135