I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Do I need a smartphone? 295 10
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 38 1
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 56 3
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 508 10
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 32 1
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 241 3
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 456 6
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 53 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 161 3
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,796 13
- Deduction from Salary 764 21
- Company struck off 224 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,419 53
- Opening Balances 284 6
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 286 6
- Employment Allowance 405 7
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 361 12
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 384 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 286 1
- West Bromich Albion 374 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 649
- Cancelled 405
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 347
- How not to compose an email 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 328
- Probiz 313
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 295
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 227
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 203