I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Repair or improvement? 1,383 8
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 346 16
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 372 9
- Sale of an investment between group companies 132 6
- Gift to employee 254 5
- Residents Association Corp Tax 277 12
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,005 40
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 364 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 958 21
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,939 27
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 151 5
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 304 1
- Unquoted company valuation multiples 52 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 259 6
- private to company car? 300 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 866 13
- Question re Career choice... 1,416 9
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 235 7
- Which address 849 10
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 217 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 462
- CTA study material 444
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 315
- Pre incorp expenses 292
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 254
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 244
- Slight twist on employment related securities 221
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 208
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 195
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 135