I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Late Registration for VAT 156 5
- Registering a company late 214 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 253 4
- physiotherapy clinic 543 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,892 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 69 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,000 25
- Deferred Tax 101 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 55 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 401 7
- How much of your work is admin? 145 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,786 19
- Goodwill complications 141 2
- Personal pension 209 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 167 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 290 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 246 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 982 26
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,156 12
- property development 275 8
- TheTax Donut 1,005
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 665
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 616
- Follower cases 481
- Limited company purchase of property 407
- Hive up 404
- corporate hierarchy 375
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 371
- LIVE chat, starting now 314
- AIA or IFA 205