I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Directors self assessment 63 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,732 70
- Sick pay 193 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,508 501
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,070 8
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 60 1
- Undeclared rental income 340 6
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 924 27
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 111 2
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 256 5
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 293 10
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 240 6
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 439 20
- cross border vat 143 3
- Which profit figure to use 200 2
- Audit partner? 371 7
- home office expenses as a director 215 6
- Drop box Storage 936 9
- Drop Down Boxes 182 2
- CIS paid under reg 9 221 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,409
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 537
- National Insurance 437
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 257
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 245
- Employer's Helpline 195
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 164
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 163
- Umbrella pay services 140