I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Software recommendations 221 1
- Share transfer question 344 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 277 7
- The stupidity continues 316 10
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 141 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,374 19
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 114 1
- Overlap relief 745 19
- What is IRIS World like? 342 8
- Pension contributions 357 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 127 4
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 471 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 455 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 254 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 201 1
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 555 10
- New Employers Helpline 157 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 223 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 210 4
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 428
- WIP Software 292
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 224
- No payroll scheme in place 223
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 204
- Is there anything wrong with this? 195
- Small Part Disposal of Property 176
- Uncommercial property business 173