I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 604 22
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 859 36
- Self Assessment and P11D 48 1
- TRONC scheme 100 1
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 108 3
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 107 1
- Investment from Friend 136 8
- Advice on letting a client go ? 685 13
- Capital Gains Relief 144 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,600 29
- Identity check problem 1,249 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 183 3
- Business Set up cost 103 1
- Aged Debtor 81 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 963 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 98 3
- blank - ignore 499 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 89 2
- calculate mortgage interest 364 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 458 9
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 876
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 574
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 541
- Latest phishing scam 472
- Entrepreneurs' relief 418
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 342
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 320
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 242
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 235
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 165