I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- RTI Easement Until 2016 10 1
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 36 1
- Write off of former director's loan 595 9
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 264 5
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 766 19
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 296 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,047 64
- Sole trader - bank statements 198 13
- Am i Liable? 510 14
- Childcare vouchers 76 1
- Late registration for VAT 84 1
- Experienced Mentor 100 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 872 14
- RTI 231 6
- which software to use? 304 6
- overdrawn directors loan account 171 4
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 269 11
- audit for 50% associate? 62 1
- PAYE coding notices 182 2
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 129 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,247
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 615
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 322
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 221
- Alphabet shares 203
- Agent fees to sell business 195
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 192
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 145