I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- VAT on motor expenses 873 31
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 143 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 172 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 146 4
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 261 10
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 729 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 378 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 190 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 314 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 95 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 382 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 86 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 315 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 391 9
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 125 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 91 1
- VAT Registration 453 19
- Tax Credit Overpayment 271 9
- Property Expenses - Allowable 144 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 123 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,538
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 845
- International interest certificate 464
- NOVA 323
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 221
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 214
- Bonus Bonds 203
- Management expenses for investment company 199
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 190
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 177