I am aware that a statutory demerger can involve transferring assets of the demerged trade to a new company in exchange for shares to some or all of the existing shareholders and this involves paying a dividend in specie ,hence why there has to be sufficient distributable reserves.
For income tax purposes the shareholders will of course be relying that the transfer of assets is an exempt distribution under s1077 CTA 2010. If the distribution becomes taxable (say if a shareholder receives a chargeable payment from one of the companies within 5 years s1086), what is the quantum that is subject to income tax? s1086 says "The amount or value of the payment is chargeable".
From the distributing company's perspective, the quantum of the distribution is governed by s845 Companies Act 2006, which usually treats the book value per the accounts as the amount. Let's say we have internally generated goodwill that is distributed to NewCo. The value of dividend in specie is nil as far as the distributing company is concerned. What is the value as far as the shareholder is concerned? Market value? If so, under what authority?
Further, what values should be recorded in the accounts of NewCo for the demerged trade? Dr. Assets, Cr share capital at market value?
In summary my questions are:
1. What is the quantum of a dividend in specie for a shareholder in the event that an exempt distribution becomes chargeable? Is this the market value of the assets distributed, the amount of chargeable payment, or the book value of the assets?
2. What are the bookkeeping entries for the distribution to NewCo and are these at market value?
- IT advisory questions? 335 9
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 68 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 40 1
- signature required 765 30
- Employment Support Allowance 264 6
- Stock Control System for Ecommerce Website 255 2
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 45 1
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 633 8
- When to leave the VAT FRS 120 6
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,007 17
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 206 2
- Direct debit entry query 73 2
- Use of home query 374 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 281 7
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 533 11
- CIS software 188 5
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 149 4
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,091 14
- Client handover 308 6
- format cell to exclude decimals 221 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,284
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 843
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 535
- Digita Hosted Software 349
- Credit where credit's due....... 325
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 250
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 212
- TheTax Donut 207
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 176
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 154