Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Do we have to register for VAT? 473 10
- Receipt bank 333 7
- Investment from Friend 163 9
- Self Assessment and P11D 119 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 337 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 624 23
- Company dividends 544 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 164 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 65 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 903 38
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,153 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 150 2
- TRONC scheme 103 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 705 13
- Capital Gains Relief 154 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,607 29
- Identity check problem 1,265 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 204 3
- Business Set up cost 111 1
- Aged Debtor 90 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 876
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 575
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 541
- Latest phishing scam 474
- Entrepreneurs' relief 423
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 345
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 320
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 244
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 241
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 166