Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,350 39
- Flat rate VAT 272 6
- Redundancy pay for directors? 1,186 15
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,765 72
- CRM systems? 76 2
- Accountancy Career 540 13
- Help with HMRC investigation 512 9
- Vat on Payments on Account 121 3
- Estate agents - shared commission 198 5
- Yorkshire Day 357 25
- MAAT vs ACCA 545 10
- E-Magazines and pdfs 80 1
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 921 25
- Deleted question? 286 3
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,180 22
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 105 5
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 112 3
- calculation DTR restriction 155 4
- Company Limited Liability vs Public Liability Insruance 75 1
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 194 4
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 558
- Cancelled 443
- Cancelled 371
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 368
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 345
- Probiz 344
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 222
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 213
- More spam 173