Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 265 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 381 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 161 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,115 13
- Really?! 814 10
- CIS 209 5
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,176 16
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,374 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 649 15
- VAT 701/49 query 224 2
- backpack 300 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 163 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 249 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 349 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 198 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 164 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 196 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 136 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 256 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 468 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 705
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 416
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 357
- Costly Accounting Software contract 313
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 255
- Directors' advances and credits 255
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 222
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203