Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 152 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 171 2
- "Audit Report" 66 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 477 13
- Coding Notice 228 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 242 6
- New business - journal entries 410 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 224 3
- Payroll software 647 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 268 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 397 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 733 18
- B2B vat in the EU 188 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 200 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 229 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 197 4
- LLP as member of LLP 138 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,840 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 515 7
- Vat 306 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 866
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 721
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 411
- Social investment tax relief 219
- Digita Hosted Software 213
- Call Centre Data Costs 201
- accounting for this transaction 192
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 172
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 168
- Travel costs and contractors 167