Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 107 4
- signature required 278 11
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 432 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 737 13
- More AE! 738 17
- Web sites 193 3
- Homing sandwiches 252 7
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 97 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 566 13
- Dispensation 140 3
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 475 14
- South African family trust and UK resident beneficiary 86 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 292 3
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 246 3
- Capitalising purchased software 114 2
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 272 2
- Recharge for private use of a company car 566 17
- how to object to registered company name... 355 2
- Property income in different capacities 255 5
- CGT 493 19
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,218
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 807
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 506
- Digita Hosted Software 326
- Credit where credit's due....... 299
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 232
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 180
- TheTax Donut 169
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 151
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 146