Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 936 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 81 2
- Accountants website 359 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 214 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 672 29
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 161 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 445 8
- VAT on employee loan 273 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 76 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 107 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 352 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,404 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 216 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 166 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 215 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 197 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 714 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 149 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 91 2
- Purchased Goodwill 150 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,080
- Moving away from CCH software 934
- QROP pension input amounts 426
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 371
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 343
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 310
- fraud 268
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 238
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 212
- Construction CIS LLP Company 190