Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- HMRC Post 156 3
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 85 1
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 78 1
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 101 1
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 199 4
- Freelance/Employee 533 14
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 174 3
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 450 11
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,841 57
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 316 8
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 160 3
- Employment Allowance 349 3
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,383 13
- Auto-enrolment staging dates, letters etc 176 4
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 964 21
- Company Structure 281 2
- The importance of Grammar 2,115 58
- Who is responsible for goods values for customs clearance? 65 1
- Accountant Specialization. 132 1
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 222 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 400
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 365
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 344
- Electric Car 278
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 171
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 161
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 157
- AIA 153