Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Payment on account penalties 30 2
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 166 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 149 8
- Tax on free shares 82 4
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 99 1
- Audit 438 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 372 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 96 3
- Buying a horse?? 377 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 178 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 729 21
- PITA ex-client 197 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 234 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 345 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 318 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,660 19
- New supplier 135 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 824 22
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 247 13
- Scottish Independance 881 24
- CTA study material 798
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 490
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 451
- Employment related securities question 316
- AIM Stocks and IHT 303
- Expat pension contributions? 276
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 273
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 218
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 157