Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 455 10
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,525 45
- CIS Deductions 83 4
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 333 16
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 803 17
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 43 1
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 175 4
- Share swap 416 14
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 182 3
- Check my logic on this please? 244 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 78 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 224 6
- Late P45 210 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 576 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 434 13
- CIC accounts submission 96 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 605 20
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 269 11
- What does it mean?? 490 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,173 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,564
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 249
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 241
- Management expenses for investment company 224
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 206
- Help with tax codes on Sage 162