Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 872 19
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 449 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 130 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 165 7
- tagging in Iris accounts production for non standard item 100 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 83 1
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 154 4
- Auto-Enrolment 2,844 155
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 98 1
- 'Find an accountant' 186 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 95 1
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 78 1
- Depreciation on property improvements 104 1
- Construction Industry Funding 107 5
- CGT advice on amicable divorce settlement 95 1
- How important are Journals? 325 9
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 720 15
- Company trading loss relief 271 4
- National Insurance 601 1
- Social Worker limited Co 127 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 490
- Skandia using wrong address 432
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 378
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 265
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 236
- Employee rewards 227
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 206
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 180
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 179