Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,756 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 22 1
- Late Registration for VAT 157 5
- Registering a company late 215 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 254 4
- physiotherapy clinic 544 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,893 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 71 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,002 25
- Deferred Tax 103 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 57 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 401 7
- How much of your work is admin? 147 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,786 19
- Goodwill complications 142 2
- Personal pension 209 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 168 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 290 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 246 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 982 26
- TheTax Donut 1,005
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 665
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 616
- Follower cases 481
- Limited company purchase of property 408
- Hive up 404
- corporate hierarchy 375
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 372
- LIVE chat, starting now 314
- AIA or IFA 205