Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 111 4
- Foreign Premium Distributions 174 2
- Benefit fraud 3,166 43
- How much did you pay for your website 789 17
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 234 3
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 262 9
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 87 5
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 143 5
- FRS percentage 75 2
- Subsidiary exemption from audit via parent guarantee 62 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 208 5
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 303 9
- Gross Profit Percentage 518 11
- Companies House 435 8
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 978 23
- can a balancing allowance be claimed if 150 4
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 1,037 16
- Tax return to date of death/R27 147 2
- Preparing a consolidated TB 294 7
- does a hybrid car with CO2 92g/km bought April 2014 483 5
- CTA study material 621
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 381
- Employment related securities question 235
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 204
- ATED Penalties 203
- AIM Stocks and IHT 183
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 145
- Expat pension contributions? 139
- Trust for Employee 133
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 125