Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- vat return 235 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 140 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 152 4
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,008 32
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 165 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 279 4
- Value pricing 695 24
- Reregister for VAT 130 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 196 6
- Weely paid employees 243 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 464 11
- Director's tax return 278 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 210 6
- Wrong career 474 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 283 7
- Laptop purchase 1,387 20
- PTP software disaster 274 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 230 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 102 2
- Tricky VAT question 193 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 796
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 550
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 415
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 293
- Free Tax Legislation? 266
- Director Loan account operation 245
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 239
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159