Stopping and re-starting Self Employment
Client's accounts (gardener business with 2 employees) have always been prepared to December, and he has overlap profits of £800.
on 31/12/2011 he moved 200 miles accross the country. he sold his business to one of the employees for £10k but this payment was only for his trading name and customer list, he sold one vehicle to an unrelated 3rd party and kept the other vehicle himself.
In Jan, Feb & Mar 2012 he was claiming JSA whilst looking for employment, and then in April 2012 he gave up looking for employment and started doing some small gardening jobs on a self employed basis.
I don't think that he ever told HMRC that he ceased and re-started self employment.
SO... Do I:
(a) Treat the 2 self employments as separate self employments - draw up accounts to 31/12/2011 which will be to the cessasion of the business, put in a market value of the vehicle he retained to calculate balancing allowance/charge and claim relief for the overlap profits, and then from 2012/13 just treat his small gardening jobs as a new business, or
(b) As both self employments are basically the same trade using the same vehicle should I treat it as a continuous self employment, not claim overlap relief and continue preparing accounts to December each year?
I phoned HMRC and they said it was up to me which way I do it, but I'm worried that there may be reasons why either way would viewed as wrong in the event of an enquiry.
Does anyone know which way is correct or is it really up to me (& the client) to pick one?
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 851 37
- Pension Contributions Relief 383 12
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 426 18
- Furnished lettings criteria 190 2
- Is this fraud? 383 6
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 80 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 778 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,471 31
- Saying goodbye 475 13
- Tax on private fuel for own car 212 5
- Sportman claiming for training kit 1,017 11
- Flat rate scheme 214 3
- Drop box Storage 221 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 286 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,203 413
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 624 4
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 422 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 172 2
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 141 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 206 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,276
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 456
- National Insurance 353
- Non Resident 270
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 262
- Franchise income and costs 242
- Hands on experience of Digita 205
- Employer's Helpline 150
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 148
- employment capital allowances 140