Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Tax relief on accommodation costs 16 1
- Disclosure requirements for Directors Loan Accounts in Credit 503 19
- Director or self-employed 277 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,363 25
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 587 17
- Anybody still doing returns? 1,001 37
- BVI registered 186 4
- Closing a limited company 392 6
- Self assessment for directors 182 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 276 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,616 17
- A little knowledge 416 6
- Digita in the cloud 177 2
- Tax relief when working away 96 1
- Tax relief when working away 208 3
- Designated sole Residence 256 5
- Scratch Head 358 1
- Year end 277 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 334 13
- Clothing 649 19
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 969
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 690
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 633
- Latest phishing scam 615
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 457
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 337
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 269
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 239
- Sabbatical payments 230
- Negligible Value Claim 213