Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 390 16
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 20 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 18 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 461 15
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 121 5
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 726 11
- Sports Sponsorship 67 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 203 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 202 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 137 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,278 14
- Best software for small practice? 569 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,247 21
- HMRC Enquiry 447 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 177 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 282 4
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,441 16
- Long/Short Period of Account 180 3
- Another HMRC Cock Up 772 7
- Directors' advances and credits 350 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 763
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 452
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 222
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 190
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181