Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 99 2
- When do we qualify for state pension? 178 3
- Companies house strike off 65 2
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 89 2
- Moving to the cloud 620 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 151 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 732 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 138 4
- BTC vs Digita 981 29
- Seeking a tax case 276 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 306 4
- See you all on the other side 251 5
- VATABLE Income 301 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 245 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 272 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 496 6
- P11D software 115 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 535 9
- VAT - business splitting 240 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 588 16
- HMRC Joint Filing 525
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 394
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 354
- IRIS and FRS 102 327
- Capitalising Finance Lease 294
- USA help 287
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 248
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 231
- Capital gains on rental property 229
- Sage Coretime 218