Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Added years superannuation 89 3
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 291 8
- RTI 240 6
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 14 1
- RTI Easement Until 2016 21 1
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 62 1
- Write off of former director's loan 610 9
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 771 19
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 305 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,050 64
- Sole trader - bank statements 206 13
- Am i Liable? 520 14
- Childcare vouchers 77 1
- Late registration for VAT 84 1
- Experienced Mentor 106 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 876 14
- which software to use? 305 6
- overdrawn directors loan account 173 4
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 271 11
- audit for 50% associate? 63 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,249
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 616
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 322
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 222
- Alphabet shares 203
- Agent fees to sell business 195
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 192
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 145