Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Can an owner hold company money 295 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 284 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 201 6
- Class 2 NIC 257 5
- Probate services 427 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 376 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,704 37
- Vat payable on van 135 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,829 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 241 7
- Community Faux Pas 931 26
- Cash gift from India 129 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,309 40
- Windows10 181 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 622 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 472 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 234 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 392 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 872 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 795 14
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 305
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 218
- Is the APN valid 196