Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 458 14
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 69 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,276 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,248 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 983 29
- You know its over 395 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 522 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 254 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 203 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 193 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 308 3
- Cocaine anyone? 550 8
- Late Registration for VAT 505 13
- EIS/SEIS 166 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 290 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 438 5
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 745 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 580 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 606 4
- Personal pension 412 9
- Hive up 498
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 466
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 282
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 225
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 212
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 209
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 188
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 185