Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Form 17 Joint tenancy v tenants in common 104 3
- Merger of Two companies 164 9
- Merging 292 4
- Merger of Two companies 374 16
- Why should I retain membership? 3,277 54
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 869 21
- CIC Dividend Cap 273 9
- Setting up direct debit on Clients bank accounts to collect monthly payments 197 8
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 636 20
- NEGLIGIBLE VALUE CLAIMS 179 4
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 1,794 24
- New business - journal entries 547 24
- IFA incorporation problems 291 4
- Coding Notice 319 7
- Auto renewed contract, is this legal/enforceable?? 296 2
- PPR/CGT/Part-Disposal/Land 175 5
- nic class 1 on expenses mechanics 132 3
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 198 1
- Wear and tear allowance 1,512 13
- Residency test 252 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 958
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 739
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 425
- Excuses, excuses!!! 306
- Digita Hosted Software 234
- Social investment tax relief 234
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 228
- Call Centre Data Costs 218
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 198
- Travel costs and contractors 198