Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 259 8
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,117 36
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 32 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 968 24
- CIS Deductions 274 8
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 152 4
- sole trader to ltd company 119 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,096 33
- Spousal transfer and PPR 314 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 246 7
- Dual taxation - usa 186 2
- My house has fallen down 474 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 112 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 286 10
- Inheritance Tax Advice 119 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 126 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 570 8
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 290 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 208 2
- Property sale split between years 162 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 641
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 324
- RTI - duplicate employee record 324
- Using the correct forms 299
- SA penalty proposals 297
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 188