Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 283 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,962 260
- Employment related securities question 547 2
- Shutting down a company with creditors 860 12
- Donations (to a school!) 205 6
- Standard 'email' template system 743 12
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 247 4
- business card address 80 3
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 100 5
- Expenses of overseas employment 83 1
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 74 2
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 168 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 126 5
- VAT Romania - how to register 195 4
- Repairs after a rental business ends 207 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 488 10
- Beaters and allowable exenses 162 2
- Family loan 281 7
- FL Memo - Any Good 492 8
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 344 8
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,095
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 358
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 296
- National Insurance 260
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 232
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 232
- Payments on account coded out?? 218
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 215
- Non Resident 178
- Franchise income and costs 170