Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- Late Filing SA due to property income, individual was also a non dom for 15 years 144 10
- VAT margin scheme 122 11
- Auto-enrolment drivel 736 13
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 130 3
- Unpaid Fee's 537 9
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 327 5
- Company Dividends Received 117 2
- Is Corp tax payable on legacy received by bowls Club? 138 1
- Client information from previous accountant 437 8
- Professional Qualification 213 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 572 29
- Question regarding A1 Form 172 1
- Maternity allowance 70 1
- Freehold Property Depreciation 62 1
- Tax and NI on payment to overseas employee 212 4
- Shares paid - petty cash 111 3
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 530 9
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 899 16
- cold file reviewer needed 276 2
- Property jointly owned by non married joint owners 89 1
- Possible Partnership? 527
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 515
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 472
- New Fangled Penalties 324
- Clubs and Taxable Income 271
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 268
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 263
- Loans to other companies 206
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 185
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 174