Student Loan Repayments
My client is employed under PAYE with no additional income outside of this employment. He had the same employer throughout 2011/12.
The employer has deducted student loan repayments for part of the year, however, as my client paid off his student loan part way through 2011/12 and following the relevant notification from the Student Loans Company and in turn HMRC, the employer ceased deductions in October 2011.
We now come to complete the 2011/12 tax return and, quite correctly we have ticked the box showing that Student Loan Repayments are due and entered the employer deductions made from April - October.
As there is no box to show that the loan was repaid part way through the year, the calculation is calculating the loan repayments based on full years income and therefore showing a balancing payment for my client to make. This is clearly incorrect as the Student Loan was repaid in October 2011.
Is there anyway to avoid this balancing payment or is it a case that he must overpay and then reclaim from the Student Loans Company? In this case my client had a significant bonus after October 2011 and the balancing payment to make is nearly £10,000 which, understandably he does not feel he should have to pay only to reclaim a few months (or possibly longer) later once the Student Loans Company have the information from HMRC!
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 342 8
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 95 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 330 11
- Starting up in practice - safety net 161 3
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 219 4
- Rental property company 109 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 312 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 263 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 384 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 159 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 198 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 148 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 496 5
- Director's tax return 401 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 187 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,140 34
- Flat rate vat 244 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 197 5
- Coming in from the cold 397 3
- Splitting the tax year 195 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 822
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 572
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 439
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 320
- Free Tax Legislation? 294
- Director Loan account operation 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 260
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 239
- Paye procedures for CVA 180