Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 211 10
- Shutting down a company with creditors 823 10
- business card address 53 3
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 76 5
- Expenses of overseas employment 76 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,892 256
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 66 2
- Standard 'email' template system 727 11
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 144 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 118 5
- VAT Romania - how to register 191 4
- Donations (to a school!) 176 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 196 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 484 10
- Beaters and allowable exenses 151 2
- Family loan 275 7
- FL Memo - Any Good 485 8
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 337 8
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 244 4
- Looking for subcontract work! 295 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,093
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 358
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 296
- National Insurance 259
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 231
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 231
- Payments on account coded out?? 218
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 215
- Non Resident 177
- Franchise income and costs 169