Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Accountancy software for an imac 138 3
- Value pricing 1,977 86
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 543 15
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 399 13
- PAYE Coding Notices 448 7
- March RTI Submission 118 1
- LLP members share of profits 328 16
- VT accounts licence key 535 9
- Can UK ACCA Practice prepare accounts for Indian company? 88 1
- SDLT implications on an informal lease 81 1
- SDLT on land 88 2
- Renewable Heat Incentive Income - Taxable? 100 1
- VAT Option to tax 244 1
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 93 2
- Current tax asset 125 2
- Grants 189 5
- Tricky VAT question 421 4
- Audit Required 978 20
- Ex Gratia payment via Payroll 248 5
- 20 hours/week - payroll? 264 9
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 876
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 613
- Free Tax Legislation? 361
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 353
- Director Loan account operation 351
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 311
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 298
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 281
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 271
- Paye procedures for CVA 202