Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 186 9
- JIEB Exams 129 1
- RTI 83 1
- Christmas party 95 1
- Am i Liable? 96 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 737 10
- Checking a contract 289 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 309 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 227 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 156 7
- VAT on garage rent 322 14
- Value-shifting 62 1
- Pattern for CTA 206 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 448 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 83 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 223 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 239 5
- EBT 177 1
- Giving a seminar 528 28
- Joint Filing Help 109 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,207
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 607
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 405
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 313
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 192
- Alphabet shares 188
- Agent fees to sell business 187
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 181
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 173
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 162