Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Not renewing AAT 595 8
- Self-assessment statistics 2,390 56
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,684 51
- New dividend taxation 300 2
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 92 1
- Company car v company allowance 201 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 422 9
- Company formation and bank account 349 9
- Next Move 624 18
- Owning overseas property 294 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 278 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 207 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 678 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 625 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 234 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 407 8
- OneNote is fantastic 559 11
- VAT Direct Debit 380 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 469 8
- Self Assessment Software 701 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 663
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 395
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 390
- 2015 tax year end 388
- FCA regulated company in a small group 344
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 305
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 237
- DTA tie-breaker issue 206
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 203