Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 130 2
- Dress code 589 15
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 368 3
- What would you do in this situation? 738 15
- Dividend 101 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,140 33
- ACCA practice certificates 123 2
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 238 5
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 198 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 541 16
- Project being run jointly 239 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 336 4
- Companies House 631 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 412 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 751 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,477 25
- Help Required 451 10
- directors control and tax problems 361 5
- Fastest Software 819 13
- What's in a name ? 440 5
- CTA study material 721
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 442
- Employment related securities question 281
- AIM Stocks and IHT 258
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 243
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 224
- Expat pension contributions? 211
- Trust for Employee 208
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 193
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 126