Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Overseas bank interest 41 1
- Rental Income Tax Planning 238 4
- Undeclared rental income 1,717 18
- Cash basis 199 7
- Statutory sick pay 75 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,848 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,167 12
- Lorry Drivers 333 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 218 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,477 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 109 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 276 3
- PRR 578 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 206 2
- Partially exempt? 313 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 249 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 565 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 121 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 246 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 211 4
- Skandia using wrong address 526
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 286
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 286
- Employee rewards 277
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 249
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 241
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 231
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 177
- LLP in Construction Industry 139