Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Landing clients 345 15
- What are my legal responsibilities 114 6
- Signed accounts for bank 180 5
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 454 9
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,126 22
- Termination Payment 139 5
- dividend date - whose income is it? 156 3
- CRM / marketing 86 2
- Allocation of income from property 744 26
- Stand alone practice management software 1,852 28
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 309 3
- Opening a Quick books file 90 1
- 64-8 problems 505 8
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 337 10
- Payment on account reminders 223 3
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 94 3
- Hello 512 4
- AIA/Capital Allowances 483 14
- Balancing charge 116 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 287 3