Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Corporation Tax Software 377 11
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 652 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 68 1
- Auto enrolment 105 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 99 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 82 4
- Regular Director bonus 433 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 141 1
- Registration as self-employed 110 1
- BrightPay 1,089 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 520 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 336 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,092 17
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 970 13
- BIK for an electric car 159 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,627 90
- How do I save face? 2,347 14
- Goodie bag 3,089 72
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 116 1
- How many associated companies 195 2
- Possible Partnership? 686
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 534
- Fuming! 512
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 333
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 273
- Moving away from CCH software 264
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 254
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 206