Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Do I need a smartphone? 287 10
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 31 1
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 53 3
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 507 10
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 32 1
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 237 3
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 455 6
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 52 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 160 3
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,793 13
- Deduction from Salary 760 21
- Company struck off 221 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,414 53
- Opening Balances 282 6
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 282 6
- Employment Allowance 405 7
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 361 12
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 380 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 286 1
- West Bromich Albion 372 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 649
- Cancelled 405
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 347
- How not to compose an email 332
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 326
- Probiz 313
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 295
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 226
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 203