Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Comany ceasing to trade 183 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,500 82
- What exchange rates are used when buying and selling shares in a section 104? 75 1
- White van man 647 22
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 209 3
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 158 1
- Mortgage Repayment Sale of Property 212 5
- Backdate C79? 241 5
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 226 3
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 901 33
- Software 379 9
- Company dividends 442 13
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 447 7
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 125 2
- Use of home deduction 554 15
- Copy Wanted 704 3
- Non resident income. 257 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 108 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 241 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 569 21
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 860
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 552
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 517
- Latest phishing scam 410
- Entrepreneurs' relief 380
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 340
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 322
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 307
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 217
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 194