Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Disbursement of recharge 391 3
- When to tick the estimated figures on ct600 63 1
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 312 9
- Mortgage Reference 916 16
- Payroll manager and the cloud 314 1
- CIMA CBA or AAT 118 4
- Rental of property in New Zealand 179 1
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 154 1
- RTI offline? 621 2
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 189 1
- CIS and Xero 280 1
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 275 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 199 2
- property capital gains 415 4
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 171 2
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 961 9
- Tips on meals 574 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,358 15
- S.455 Tax again 457 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 259 3