Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Accountex flash mob 125 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,008 27
- Property sale split between years 195 7
- Direct payment schene 62 3
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,138 37
- Capital introduction 88 1
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 95 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,167 35
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 263 8
- CIS Deductions 281 8
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 183 4
- sole trader to ltd company 157 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 328 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 271 7
- Dual taxation - usa 188 2
- My house has fallen down 534 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 128 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 286 10
- Inheritance Tax Advice 140 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 141 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 642
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 326
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 324
- Using the correct forms 300
- SA penalty proposals 298
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 191