Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 227 2
- Freelance/Employee 101 5
- Moneysoft - technical query 541 17
- Profit split from an investment property 227 7
- VAT - How hard is it? 797 29
- The importance of Grammar 1,408 44
- VAT & Offshore Companies 258 7
- VAT and customer entertaining 259 4
- tax saving on card points 279 7
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 298 6
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,321 11
- Xero Pain Points 572 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 197 2
- Best way to draw a salary? 724 12
- PI cover 257 4
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 978 15
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,485 39
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 282 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 275 9
- Scissors 917 24
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 376
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 335
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 314
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 301
- Electric Car 252
- S222 Charge 220
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 202
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 187