Student rental income
I have a (new) client who bought a property jointly with another unrelated person for the purpose of housing their children (A&B) who were going to University.
The house was big enough for A&B plus three other students.
The three other students paid rent each month and the parents of A&B also paid rent on behalf of their two children.
Is the rental income paid by A&B's parents taxable?
It would seem strange if I bought a house for my child, paid rent into a rental bank account each month and had to be taxed on that money. However if I bought the house jointly with a friend then the money I lodged into the bank would be income for my friend.
So do I treat 50% of A&B's rental as taxable income?
- The stupidity continues 1,290 67
- AML report needed? 117 2
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 133 2
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 379 9
- Marketing and email surprises 443 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 760 26
- What is IRIS World like? 407 10
- Bank request To verify Accounts 141 1
- transactions after account have been closed 298 9
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 316 5
- Mlom bollocks 225 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 96 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 582 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 300 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 276 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 163 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,371 25
- New Employers Helpline 229 4
- Software recommendations 291 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 443
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 442
- WIP Software 306
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 240
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 235
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 215
- Is there anything wrong with this? 210
- Small Part Disposal of Property 196
- Uncommercial property business 186