Sub-contractor expenses. Mileage on job searches - allowable or not?
HMRC made and an enquiry on client's tax return. The client claimed some business mileage travelled to construction sites and back. Also, client was without a job for a few months and done about 4k miles on job searches going to construction sites and giving out his business cards, etc. HMRC inspector says that this expenses was not allowable as a claim cannot be made for motoring expenses incurred in trying to put yourself in a position to obtain work as this fails the "wholly and exclusively" test stipulated in the Taxes Act.
I disagree with their decision as I believe this was client's self-advertising.
HMRC asked me to advise them what legislation and under what "capacity" I am maintaining this should be allowable?
What is your opinion?
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,212 44
- Farm barn lettings 200 4
- Group Audit Thresholds 316 9
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 273 4
- Deduction from Salary 582 14
- Legal title not in the company name 693 21
- inheritance tax 266 8
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 173 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 282 7
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 134 2
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 167 2
- Sole properietor 391 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,501 12
- Pay in Lieu of notice 262 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 222 3
- Capital payments offshore trust 84 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 121 1
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 153 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 216 1
- State pension 218 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 637
- Cancelled 387
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 332
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 303
- Probiz 296
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 271
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 253
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 219
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196