Sub-contractor expenses. Mileage on job searches - allowable or not?
HMRC made and an enquiry on client's tax return. The client claimed some business mileage travelled to construction sites and back. Also, client was without a job for a few months and done about 4k miles on job searches going to construction sites and giving out his business cards, etc. HMRC inspector says that this expenses was not allowable as a claim cannot be made for motoring expenses incurred in trying to put yourself in a position to obtain work as this fails the "wholly and exclusively" test stipulated in the Taxes Act.
I disagree with their decision as I believe this was client's self-advertising.
HMRC asked me to advise them what legislation and under what "capacity" I am maintaining this should be allowable?
What is your opinion?
- Who can I refer leads to? 145 2
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 176 6
- Engagement letter 130 2
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 111 3
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 266 7
- How do you account in the VAT return for 267 4
- Abortive legal fees deductible on sale? 89 2
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 128 3
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 162 2
- Missing accountant! 1,367 6
- ACCA qualified but not enough 1,031 18
- Sage Import Data 151 3
- Australian dividend 89 1
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 481 9
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 97 3
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 572 13
- updating shareholdings on companies house 77 1
- Spanish Tax Return 200 6
- Dividend Vouchers 226 3
- National Insurance. 254 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 420
- CTA study material 386
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 282
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 262
- Pre incorp expenses 237
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 212
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 205
- Slight twist on employment related securities 192
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 136
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 134