Sub-contractor expenses. Mileage on job searches - allowable or not?
HMRC made and an enquiry on client's tax return. The client claimed some business mileage travelled to construction sites and back. Also, client was without a job for a few months and done about 4k miles on job searches going to construction sites and giving out his business cards, etc. HMRC inspector says that this expenses was not allowable as a claim cannot be made for motoring expenses incurred in trying to put yourself in a position to obtain work as this fails the "wholly and exclusively" test stipulated in the Taxes Act.
I disagree with their decision as I believe this was client's self-advertising.
HMRC asked me to advise them what legislation and under what "capacity" I am maintaining this should be allowable?
What is your opinion?
- VAT flat rate scheme 209 3
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 67 2
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 307 4
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,051 102
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 44 3
- Company name change and Final Accounts - Can the Accounts be under new company name? 50 2
- Client's company struck off 91 2
- Error or mistake in CT return 155 1
- Anyone had this problem?? 264 5
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 328 4
- Out of time or not? 267 1
- Solicitor wants to rent room in my office but 277 4
- Statement of Accounts 152 5
- Closing my business down 512 21
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 202 3
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 160 2
- GP's Annual Certificate of Pensionable Profits - Multiple Practices 141 2
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 220 7
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 241 3
- Transfer of Software to sister company 190 2
- QROP pension input amounts 461
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 393
- fraud 315
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 293
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 252
- Construction CIS LLP Company 235
- EPS and CIS deductions 232
- First Choice Final Accounts 186
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 171