Sub-contractor expenses. Mileage on job searches - allowable or not?
HMRC made and an enquiry on client's tax return. The client claimed some business mileage travelled to construction sites and back. Also, client was without a job for a few months and done about 4k miles on job searches going to construction sites and giving out his business cards, etc. HMRC inspector says that this expenses was not allowable as a claim cannot be made for motoring expenses incurred in trying to put yourself in a position to obtain work as this fails the "wholly and exclusively" test stipulated in the Taxes Act.
I disagree with their decision as I believe this was client's self-advertising.
HMRC asked me to advise them what legislation and under what "capacity" I am maintaining this should be allowable?
What is your opinion?
- Tasks for new trainees 182 5
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 95 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,665 47
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 828 19
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 590 16
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 129 2
- Partnership returns software 115 2
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 291 10
- VAT on garage rent 158 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 103 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 172 3
- Property scam victim 331 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 257 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 70 1
- Have i messed up? 763 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 431 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 64 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 128 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 85 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 94 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,102
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 579
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 292
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 191
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157