Sub-contractor expenses. Mileage on job searches - allowable or not?
HMRC made and an enquiry on client's tax return. The client claimed some business mileage travelled to construction sites and back. Also, client was without a job for a few months and done about 4k miles on job searches going to construction sites and giving out his business cards, etc. HMRC inspector says that this expenses was not allowable as a claim cannot be made for motoring expenses incurred in trying to put yourself in a position to obtain work as this fails the "wholly and exclusively" test stipulated in the Taxes Act.
I disagree with their decision as I believe this was client's self-advertising.
HMRC asked me to advise them what legislation and under what "capacity" I am maintaining this should be allowable?
What is your opinion?
- What is IRIS World like? 318 8
- Pension contributions 337 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 82 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,333 18
- The stupidity continues 187 4
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 111 1
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 453 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 144 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 442 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 255 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 244 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 195 1
- Share transfer question 318 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 545 10
- New Employers Helpline 147 3
- Overlap relief 733 19
- Budget 2015 - take two 209 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 201 4
- VAT Query 204 2
- Sacked my first client 699 14
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 431
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 423
- WIP Software 289
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 220
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 192
- Small Part Disposal of Property 173