Sub-contractor expenses. Mileage on job searches - allowable or not?
HMRC made and an enquiry on client's tax return. The client claimed some business mileage travelled to construction sites and back. Also, client was without a job for a few months and done about 4k miles on job searches going to construction sites and giving out his business cards, etc. HMRC inspector says that this expenses was not allowable as a claim cannot be made for motoring expenses incurred in trying to put yourself in a position to obtain work as this fails the "wholly and exclusively" test stipulated in the Taxes Act.
I disagree with their decision as I believe this was client's self-advertising.
HMRC asked me to advise them what legislation and under what "capacity" I am maintaining this should be allowable?
What is your opinion?
- Company formation and bank account 174 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,512 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 469 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 383 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 161 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 389 8
- OneNote is fantastic 448 11
- VAT Direct Debit 348 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 433 8
- Self Assessment Software 676 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 429 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,347 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 226 11
- Owning overseas property 218 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 324 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 278 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 685 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,143 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 423 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 648
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 386
- 2015 tax year end 379
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 379
- FCA regulated company in a small group 338
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 247
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 235
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229