Sub-contractor expenses. Mileage on job searches - allowable or not?
HMRC made and an enquiry on client's tax return. The client claimed some business mileage travelled to construction sites and back. Also, client was without a job for a few months and done about 4k miles on job searches going to construction sites and giving out his business cards, etc. HMRC inspector says that this expenses was not allowable as a claim cannot be made for motoring expenses incurred in trying to put yourself in a position to obtain work as this fails the "wholly and exclusively" test stipulated in the Taxes Act.
I disagree with their decision as I believe this was client's self-advertising.
HMRC asked me to advise them what legislation and under what "capacity" I am maintaining this should be allowable?
What is your opinion?
- S455 424 20
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 75 2
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 741 29
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 987 27
- EIS Relief 143 1
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 148 1
- Gift or Capital Gain? 158 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 555 15
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 61 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 182 6
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 401 8
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 236 3
- Is this a scam? 1,397 25
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 223 5
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 150 4
- Wednesday rant 325 1
- RTI - new employee 75 1
- Profit split on buy-to let 313 5
- Overseas Sales 534 1
- Fax to email providers 394 14
- Benchmarking 462
- Possible Partnership? 408
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 397
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 378
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 319
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 189
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 172
- Income tax on foreign dividends 166
- Agent Registration - How Long? 164
- Clubs and Taxable Income 163