Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Company asserts 92 1
- VAT on unused stock 51 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 125 4
- Can't find a good web address 167 3
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 184 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 207 5
- effective advertising 240 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 190 8
- Software recommendations 313 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 151 3
- Edible spam? 804 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 307 5
- Put fees on website 291 6
- Director resignation 230 4
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,550 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,333 4
- Sigma Red 1,419 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 346 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 114 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 195 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 480
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 466
- WIP Software 338
- No payroll scheme in place 292
- Is there anything wrong with this? 260
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 255
- Small Part Disposal of Property 230
- Uncommercial property business 229
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 194
- SA Penalty 186