Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Unable to access Co House website 23 1
- Late night meals self employed 201 1
- PPR ELECTION 148 5
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,261 15
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 526 10
- VAN Benefit in Kind - Tax Code 115 1
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 433 3
- PAYE variance 163 1
- Partnership VAT reg - also applies to partner's INDIVIDUAL income? 189 4
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 515 11
- Mother and son property ownership 461 1
- Resigning as a director 286 8
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,767 22
- Paper partnership return 149 2
- Repayment of Share Capital 303 4
- Asignment of lease and premium paid 197 3
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 329 2
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 231 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 634 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 509 6
- NHS finance professionals 557
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 371
- Foreign Pension Contribution 335
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 317
- vat gross profit percentage margins 297
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 297
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 273
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 243
- EBT Self Assessment Return 230
- Thinning income 211