Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,970 45
- Love is in the air 200 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,667 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 367 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 393 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 492 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 148 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 641 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 342 7
- HMRC accounting 278 3
- Employers NI allowance 453 6
- Dividend taxation 278 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 188 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 184 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 170 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 450 4
- iris update 11.9.2 453 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 286 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 275
- CGT for NOn UK residents 273
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 262
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 245
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 234
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 187