Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Cocaine anyone? 409 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,624 46
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 365 7
- Does director/largest shareholder's unpaid share capital need to go on a CT600A? 382 8
- Cash basis VAT return 247 4
- CORPORATION TAX ONLINE - BOX 131 311 8
- Tax return for 05/04/13 shows income for year to 31/01/14 356 3
- Wind Farm exclusivity agreement 148 1
- CT Unified Penalties 136 1
- Benefit in Kind 583 12
- Using home as clients registered address 499 7
- Restriction on loss relief from 2013-14 249 1
- Technical reference 302 3
- Director issuing and buying shares in private Co 305 6
- How much tax should I be payng? 923 33
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 192 4
- EIS/SEIS 255 2
- Can S455 tax repaid 316 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 210 2
- Form EIS3 144 2
- The booking.com con 370
- WWOOFers 354
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 346
- Ho Ho Ho 258
- Trade and asset transfers – fair value adjustments 234
- logical office 226
- barclays UK vesus barclays US 205
- Purpose of issuing Holding share capital for s135 share exchange 201
- Associated companies where SCI with only one company in group 195
- VAT on online services 171