Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- When to include value of import in Box 7 63 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 161 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 304 7
- Capital gain? 77 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,246 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 268 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 348 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 414 8
- vat help for catering concession 275 10
- IHT dilemma 1,154 17
- Tax return software for remote working 234 3
- CGT 334 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 320 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 110 2
- Compliance check 513 13
- sole trader accountant 789 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 400 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 604 21
- More AE! 502 11
- How to classify an asset 163 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,079
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 778
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 463
- Digita Hosted Software 280
- Call Centre Data Costs 251
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 226
- Credit where credit's due....... 217
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 206
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 187
- Director phone costs 149