Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Residents Association Corp Tax 210 8
- Vat threshold issues 171 4
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 296 2
- private to company car? 219 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 171 3
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 113 2
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 85 1
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 284 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 143 4
- Partner with an IVA 191 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 338 6
- R&D tax claim 129 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 606 13
- Growing pains 382 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 242 14
- Consequential loss claim 140 3
- ATT Annual Return Problems 130 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 116 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 347 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 969 34
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 420
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 290
- Pre incorp expenses 284
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 247
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 212
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 188
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 179