Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- VAT - Recharge 67 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 340 4
- transitioning payroll 153 4
- Legal title not in the company name 169 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,550 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 151 3
- Deduction from Salary 197 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,740 30
- Car financed by employee 187 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 125 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 622 16
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 157 3
- Dividend payment date 2,193 37
- VAT online filing exemptions 166 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 181 2
- One off meeting new client 1,428 13
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 308 6
- Child tax credits 232 4
- Car leasing scheme 226 1
- 12 Pay Problems 194 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 305
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 267
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 222
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 199
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 169