Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 265 11
- VAT on motor expenses 873 31
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 143 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 172 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 146 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 729 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 379 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 190 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 314 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 95 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 382 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 86 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 315 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 391 9
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 125 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 91 1
- VAT Registration 453 19
- Tax Credit Overpayment 271 9
- Property Expenses - Allowable 144 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 125 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,538
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 845
- International interest certificate 464
- NOVA 323
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 221
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 214
- Bonus Bonds 203
- Management expenses for investment company 199
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 190
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 177