Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- option to tax 181 1
- Share of profits from building society 30 1
- B2B vat in the EU 66 1
- VAT on deposits 179 1
- sage vat journal 58 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,583 44
- Coding Notice 75 1
- Free invoicing software 103 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 296 17
- New business - journal entries 221 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 544 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 244 7
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 159 2
- Capitalised professional fees - with no corresponding asset 403 4
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 666 17
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 348 4
- Trade name 93 1
- Resident Landlord Expenses 185 6
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 126 3
- Employee shareholder contracts 106 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 744
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 700
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 376
- Social investment tax relief 197
- Digita Hosted Software 189
- Call Centre Data Costs 186
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 150
- Travel costs and contractors 140
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 128
- Certificates of tax deposit 124