Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Does AE staging date cease with transfer of business? 49 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 95 4
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 357 9
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 33 1
- Overtime etc for PT employees 61 1
- First Choice Final Accounts 207 1
- Anyone had this problem?? 527 15
- VAT flat rate scheme 295 5
- Complex VAT Group 307 6
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 56 3
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 317 1
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,249 107
- Client's company struck off 303 7
- Sole Trader Cessation 85 1
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 237 2
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 114 4
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 200 5
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 119 1
- Related party disclosures 289 4
- Stamp Duty Land Tax 151 2
- QROP pension input amounts 467
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 408
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 405
- fraud 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 257
- Construction CIS LLP Company 240
- EPS and CIS deductions 239
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 189
- SAGE winforecast 165
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 160