Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Investment from Friend 52 5
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 769 29
- client can't/won't pay 1,574 29
- Capital Gains Relief 98 4
- Identity check problem 1,229 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 148 3
- Business Set up cost 92 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 643 12
- Aged Debtor 56 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 948 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 72 3
- blank - ignore 492 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 80 2
- calculate mortgage interest 350 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 445 9
- Companies House praise 225 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,066 14
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 168 1
- Directors NIC's 184 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 74 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 572
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 535
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 339
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 240
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 231
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163