Submitting accounts to HMRC
I'm feeling a bit like Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who found that the plans for knocking down his house were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".
Having happily sat down before Christmas to do my company's corporation tax return, I have discovered that HMRC's PDF based software cannot cope with a balance sheet which has any reserves other than profit and loss account and revaluation reserve. As my company has a share premium account, the HMRC form won't accept it (although Company's House can cope with no trouble).
So I find myself looking for alternative solutions to produce the accounts in iXBRL, which will no doubt eventually be solved.
What I find odd is that today, as I write this, I am unable to comply with the HMRC's requirements, because I don't have a mechanism for preparing accounts in iXBRL format. Is there no requirement for HMRC, in law, to provide me with such mechanism?
I suppose, in times gone by, there was no requirement to provide me with a pen so I could fill in the form, or paper so I could print my accounts, but this feels rather different.
Looking further ahead will HMRC be able to insist that all taxpayers do their SA return on line, when there may remain some who don't have access to the internet? Could they insist that all tax returns must be printed in gold leaf on the finest vellum parchment? Could they insist that all tax filings should be done by authorised agents, who, no doubt, like St Matthew would be able to charge a fee, based perhaps on the amount of tax collected.
If anyone knows the legal reference or can confirm that there is none, I'd love to hear it.
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,048 29
- directors loan 258 8
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 378 14
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 819 27
- Director registration for SA question 264 11
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 217 3
- New Company reviews please 457 12
- Business only use of company car 605 23
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 339 4
- CIS not deducted 306 5
- Car Capital Contribution 183 2
- cgt quoted shares losses 204 1
- LLP and corporate members - timing differences impact on corp tax 84 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 209 3
- Money Laundering Manual 257 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 356 8
- VAT with Russia 127 1
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 214 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,155 9
- CGT on Let Property 238 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 283
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 236
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 235
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 210
- Any thoughts on Capium? 200
- Expenses Software 189
- auto enrolment 178
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- How to account for investment in JV? 147
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 146