Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 414 18
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 150 3
- Scottish Independance 691 20
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 163 2
- Dress code 1,447 34
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 35 1
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 111 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,327 16
- Limited company buying director's car 140 7
- Entrepeneurs relief 220 11
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 150 1
- Historical figures for WTC 62 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 419 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,169 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 117 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 261 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 429 6
- WC's and capital allowances 109 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 267 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 897 10
- CTA study material 760
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 467
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 364
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 249
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 247
- Trust for Employee 229
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 149
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142