Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 80 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,086 7
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 458 17
- Bereavment payment 47 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 264 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 336 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,289 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 139 2
- Companies House incorporation service 335 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 67 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 143 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 189 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 193 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 254 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 136 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 146 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,594 12
- Share Capital 124 2
- Trading income or not? 185 1
- Charge HMRC 413 3
- Xtuple 545
- Qtac payroll for bureau 374
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 315
- Industrial & Provident Societies 312
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 288
- CIS schemes 220
- Domain name sale and limited company 204
- Investment 184
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 177