Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- Introduction of Goodwill 164 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 143 4
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 256 10
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 136 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 724 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 375 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 187 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 310 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 89 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 375 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 86 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 311 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 383 9
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 125 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 89 1
- VAT Registration 451 19
- Tax Credit Overpayment 271 9
- Property Expenses - Allowable 141 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 122 2
- Tax advice person/business 148 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,536
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 845
- International interest certificate 464
- NOVA 322
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 219
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 214
- Bonus Bonds 203
- Management expenses for investment company 199
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 188
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 175