Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- I do not love you 182 4
- Gift of FHL - subsequent PPR not denied? 174 1
- Limited Company 147 3
- Love is in the air 737 10
- Stamp Duty 330 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 742 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 882 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 392 5
- Paying Son 804 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 404 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 284 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,072 47
- Setting up a practice 637 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 619 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 563 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 484 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 247 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,868 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 458 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 612 13
- Foreign domicile status 308
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 302
- CGT for NOn UK residents 286
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 282
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 262
- Apprenticeship Levy 248
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 245
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 231