Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 147 5
- See you all on the other side 366 6
- 12Pay 133 2
- dividends 139 2
- R&D 148 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,005 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 287 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 190 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 139 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 380 5
- Seeking a tax case 368 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 253 4
- Companies house strike off 195 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 178 2
- Moving to the cloud 643 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 163 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 754 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 152 4
- BTC vs Digita 998 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 339 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 525
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 397
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 355
- IRIS and FRS 102 328
- Capitalising Finance Lease 294
- USA help 291
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 253
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 245
- Capital gains on rental property 231
- Sage Coretime 219