Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- Scottish but not UK 289 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 275 10
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 62 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,195 364
- What is the role of an accountant? 397 13
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 249 1
- P11D Query 143 4
- 100% Xero practice 2,247 40
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 68 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,322 25
- Company Accounts 435 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 86 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 285 7
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 191 4
- VAT on introducer fees 121 2
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 85 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 204 12
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 325 18
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 286 5
- CIS 355 11
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 428
- National Insurance 327
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 321
- Non Resident 252
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 240
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152