Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- Freelance/Employee 384 10
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 572 11
- Freehold management company 132 3
- The importance of Grammar 1,799 54
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 190 3
- 2 companies, one payroll 174 5
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 207 6
- System selection 225 3
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 94 1
- Director Liability 97 2
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 155 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 383 4
- exemptions from CIS 248 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 568 10
- Xero Pain Points 645 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 271 13
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 239 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,699 56
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 401 3
- How much do you pay for Xero? 311 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 354
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 333
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 315
- Electric Car 267
- S222 Charge 230
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 226
- Company Structure 207
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 172
- IP trans to holding company 169