Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,623 23
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 88 6
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 73 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 240 6
- Companies House 282 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 99 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 99 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 328 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 108 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 210 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 665 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 652 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 138 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 672 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 486 5
- SA tax assessments 167 2
- Director self assessment 406 16
- Sage Import Data 179 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 240 2
- Dividend Vouchers 287 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 431
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 289
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 243
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 218
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 211
- Slight twist on employment related securities 197
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 146
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 141