Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 384 11
- recompense capital input 101 4
- Where has Portia gone? 2,138 68
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 624 17
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 70 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 171 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 173 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 204 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 966 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 159 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 235 5
- Merging my businesses 215 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 574 19
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 469 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 358 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 331 1
- Holiday entitlement 589 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 330 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 177 1
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 242 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 792
- RTI - duplicate employee record 559
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Portia ... Where art thou 318
- Sanzar 314
- How do you do it 298
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 179