Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 216 9
- VAT Invoice 168 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 368 6
- General tax book with planning 174 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,243 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 296 11
- Gift of property & improvements 128 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 811 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 134 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 235 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 165 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 467 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 388 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 265 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 201 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 261 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 173 4
- SA302's anyone?? 546 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,653 41
- Renting for military reasons 203 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 512
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 299
- Management expenses for investment company 265
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 175
- tax on apprenticeship income 174
- P11D benefit received by widow 153