Subsistence Expenses for Sole Traders
Am just completing accounts and tax comp for a sole trader decorator client.
I note that s57A ITTOIA 05 refers to allowing a deduction for reasonable expenses for food and drink consumed at the place where the trader travels to.
My client works within the area, about a 25 mile radius, so I have tried to get some understanding of what is meant by "travels to" in the legislation, does it mean in the locality as in the meaning of the ESC for employees travelling to a temporary place of work or does it mean more of an overnight stay scenario.
Do any of you knowledgeable practitioners out there know the answer to this one ?
The other thing unfortunately is that he has not kept any meal receipts and I suspect that this will be where a claim will fail.
Any ideas ?
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 93 8
- Amortisation of Goodwill 235 1
- You know its over 75 2
- Cocaine anyone? 368 7
- TaxCalc Accounts production 372 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 369 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 613 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 495 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 513 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 33 1
- Personal pension 381 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 206 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,187 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 878 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 91 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,498 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 302 4
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 274 1
- Tax return software for remote working 504 4
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 469 9
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 442
- corporate hierarchy 420
- Advice - 257
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 215
- WWOOFers 208
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 197
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 186
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 162
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 161