THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Limited company buying a car 136 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 253 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 456 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 542 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 164 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 106 2
- ACCA practice certificates 492 5
- Limited company buying director's car 286 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 72 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 88 1
- WC's and capital allowances 172 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 300 13
- Dress code 1,545 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 475 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 256 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 376 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 472 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 183 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 105 3
- CTA study material 767
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 477
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 396
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 235
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 174
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147