THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 139 10
- Small Business Payroll 125 6
- Sample wording for fair usage terms 132 1
- RTI - are HMRC picking any numbers? 153 1
- Director resignation 594 13
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 144 4
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 358 3
- CIS Contractor 85 2
- Company oversea and VAT 145 6
- Relevant Life Insurance 155 4
- VAT on unused stock 204 2
- Bank stream and receipt bank advice... 189 2
- Payslip Count in Sage 50 Payroll 163 2
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,610 6
- WIP Software 375 1
- C79 and VAT Paid to Parcelforce 104 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 220 9
- Dividend Waiver 251 5
- effective advertising 522 10
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 405 10
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 498
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 473
- No payroll scheme in place 315
- Is there anything wrong with this? 269
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 261
- Uncommercial property business 234
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 201
- SA Penalty 198
- Registering online CWF1 178
- Accrued income scheme 176