THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 273 2
- Irish Taxation 122 3
- Self assessment tax arrears 495 6
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 117 2
- Error on SA Tax Return 57 1
- Drector renting room to company 53 1
- Off site storage 127 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 569 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 225 7
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,118 44
- Industrial & Provident Societies 344 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 214 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 312 4
- Self assesment losses 303 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 163 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 164 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 112 2
- Joint Property rent 166 3
- Fee protection 896 16
- Overdrawn DLA 286 9
- Xtuple 562
- Qtac payroll for bureau 384
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 339
- Domain name sale and limited company 227
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 209
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 206
- Investment 203
- Tax on damages received 177
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 174
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 142