THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- General tax book with planning 131 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,179 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 265 11
- Gift of property & improvements 101 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 328 5
- VAT Invoice 112 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 793 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 116 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 198 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 162 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 135 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 434 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 359 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 245 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 177 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 157 4
- SA302's anyone?? 530 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,641 41
- Renting for military reasons 189 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 900
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 291
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- tax on apprenticeship income 171
- P11D benefit received by widow 148