THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Capital introduction 190 6
- CIS Deductions 302 9
- Inheritance Tax Advice 208 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 150 8
- Final accounts - procedure 74 1
- Accountex flash mob 254 7
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,153 28
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 230 3
- Property sale split between years 246 9
- Spousal transfer and PPR 352 10
- Group structure - transfer of shares 65 2
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 169 3
- Cycle to work 118 1
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 758 17
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 148 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,277 36
- Direct payment schene 119 4
- Employment Allowance 102 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 238 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,155 37
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 642
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 406
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 330
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 325
- Using the correct forms 300
- SA penalty proposals 298
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 282
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 194