THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Childcare vouchers 351 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 39 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 52 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 46 1
- two business from one premises 173 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 38 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 389 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 318 4
- Merry Christmas 101 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 75 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,074 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 414 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,424 9
- Using home as clients registered address 148 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 539 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 114 2
- How much does the company pay 721 30
- AIA 292 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 182 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 506
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 274
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 247
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 243
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 217
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177