THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- VAT flat rate scheme 15 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 263 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 65 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,435 21
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 83 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 85 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,043 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 384 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 125 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 191 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 116 1
- FPS or EPS 134 2
- Continuity of Practice 189 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 122 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 312 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,208 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 245 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 161 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 298 10
- Online Downtime 337 4
- Moving away from CCH software 948
- QROP pension input amounts 437
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 252
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 223
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 197