THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 213 4
- Sage Depreciation 54 1
- Non sequitur 201 2
- Am i Liable? 838 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 156 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 149 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 52 1
- Boffin of the Year 219 8
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 459 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 57 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 73 2
- Giving a seminar 648 35
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 910 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 355 3
- Sole trader - bank statements 333 14
- Altered PAYE cheque 441 9
- PAYE versus Dividends 131 1
- equipment rental 74 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 384 16
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,201 63
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,285
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 633
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 418
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 326
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 246
- Alphabet shares 216
- Agent fees to sell business 208
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 203
- Office recharges 164
- Tax position on lease extension 160