THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 13 1
- Turnover on a tax return 492 11
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,220 34
- incorrect old p60 537 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 63 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 168 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 107 1
- Special dividends & CGT 183 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 143 1
- Networking 335 5
- VAT refund 276 2
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 267 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 298 4
- Corrupt excel .XLSX file 141 1
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 328 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 268 2
- IT Contractor 281 1
- Sage instant account codes 189 1
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 288 1
- Cashflow forecasting software 329 4