THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Would this save hours of your time? 367 9
- Wrong career 423 18
- Laptop purchase 1,352 20
- PTP software disaster 221 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 156 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 203 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 88 2
- Director's tax return 192 3
- Tricky VAT question 136 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 101 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 229 6
- VT accounts licence key 234 5
- Weely paid employees 211 2
- Splitting the tax year 81 1
- FPS Submission 133 2
- Value pricing 638 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 205 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 127 1
- vat return 221 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 174 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 789
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 545
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 409
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 291
- Free Tax Legislation? 253
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 235
- Director Loan account operation 233
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 230
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 224
- Paye procedures for CVA 159