THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Withdrawal of a quote 168 5
- Company Number 10000000 933 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 332 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 142 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 396 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,806 29
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 538 10
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 405 9
- Support / ticketing software 279 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 194 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 325 5
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 254 2
- Stamp Duty 105 2
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 395 13
- Best software for small practice? 822 24
- Large director's pension contribution 634 10
- Credit for price reduction - Inventory write down effect 137 2
- Car benefit or not? 2,556 26
- substantial shareholding exemption 161 1
- Land Registry 406 5
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 793
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 282
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 214
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 206
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 204
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187