THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 132 5
- See you all on the other side 357 6
- 12Pay 114 2
- dividends 126 2
- R&D 146 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,003 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 285 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 186 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 136 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 378 5
- Seeking a tax case 364 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 246 4
- Companies house strike off 187 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 166 2
- Moving to the cloud 639 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 162 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 754 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 150 4
- BTC vs Digita 996 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 337 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 525
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 396
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 355
- IRIS and FRS 102 328
- Capitalising Finance Lease 294
- USA help 291
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 253
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 245
- Capital gains on rental property 231
- Sage Coretime 219