THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Accounting for stolen van? 113 3
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,067 36
- Disengagement Help! 1,322 20
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,143 21
- Capital losses on foreign property 148 1
- Creative Auto Enrolment 676 10
- self employed losses 137 1
- Unpaid fees 415 9
- Vat payable on van 304 2
- Accounting for corporation tax 566 13
- AccountingWEB survey 308 2
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 598 12
- Change PAYE agent address 143 1
- Account and Taxable Profit 561 22
- Save QCD's 322 6
- Tax Calculations 764 11
- Bankstream 1,211 28
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 143 1
- Probate services 590 18
- Cash gift from India 441 12