THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 428 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 597 12
- More AE! 637 14
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 40 1
- Should I move back home away from my office? 319 6
- IT advisory questions? 82 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 72 4
- Entrepreneurs Relief 745 41
- PAYE 1,553 17
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 468 6
- Scanners 74 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,085 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 108 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 107 3
- Invoice dispute 582 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 256 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 420 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 95 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 128 1
- IHT dilemma 1,336 20
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,138
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 790
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 476
- Digita Hosted Software 313
- Credit where credit's due....... 253
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 218
- Director phone costs 217
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 186
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 160
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 148