THIS TAKES THE ******* BISCUIT...
I have just read this on Accountancy Age. The bolding is mine. For one letter that tried to point out a tax problem - albeit in a way that was not the most professionally adept - I was fined £30,000 and thrown out from the ICAEW and have been refused readmittance on several occasions. This guy tries to MURDER someone and is allowed to remain a member and fined just £2,240!!!
Where the **** is the justice in this:
“Former convict spared sanctions by ICAEW
AN ICAEW MEMBER who was jailed for soliciting to murder will face no sanctions from the institute due to the "exceptional circumstances" of the case.
The member, who is unnamed, was convicted of soliciting to murder in 2001, and sentenced to serve six years in prison.
He resigned his ICAEW membership and told the institute he was going abroad and did not intend to practise. Months later, he informed the ICAEW of his imprisonment, and the institute decided that it would take no further action while he was out of membership.
Now out of prison, he was turned down from re-admittance to the ICAEW in 2006, but successfully re-applied in 2011. His conviction details were then passed onto the ICAEW's investigation division.
A breakdown in family relationships was given as background to the offence.
If aware at the time of his sentencing in 2001, the institute's tribunal would have excluded him from membership and recommended he not be readmitted for ten years.
But in "the exceptional circumstances of this case, the passage of time, the evidence of rehabilitation and that he had been readmitted to membership", no sanction has been imposed. The tribunal noted that the ICAEW's re-admission committee had, on the second occasion, decided he was a fit and proper person to serve as a member.
He has been ordered to pay £2,240.66 in costs.”
- Disclosure requirements for Directors Loan Accounts in Credit 500 19
- Director or self-employed 276 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,362 25
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 584 17
- Anybody still doing returns? 998 37
- BVI registered 183 4
- Closing a limited company 392 6
- Self assessment for directors 179 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 276 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,615 17
- A little knowledge 410 6
- Digita in the cloud 176 2
- Tax relief when working away 95 1
- Tax relief when working away 207 3
- Designated sole Residence 255 5
- Scratch Head 358 1
- Year end 277 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 330 13
- Clothing 649 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 182 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 968
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 690
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 633
- Latest phishing scam 615
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 457
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 337
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 269
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 237
- Sabbatical payments 230
- Negligible Value Claim 212