Tax (and accounts) treatment of tenants property improvements
Client company is taking a five or seven year lease on incomplete shell of one floor of a building. Was originally planned as ground floor offices (or retail) but owner is getting planning change to allow residential (but can't afford to continue the development).
If my client takes the lease and spends £150k on the conversion and fit out to make into a number of apartments and then rents them out to students over the five years of the lease it should make a profit to cover all costs including the conversion costs.
But how do we treat tenants improvements in the accounts?
Client is convinced he gets 100% tax relief on the cost of refurbishment? My thoughts are tax relief at end of lease - but I'm not sure why.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,174 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 301 6
- Go Cardless 361 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 294 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 193 2
- Mehjoo 318 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 82 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 341 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 186 4
- SA302 322 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 286 13
- Bringing money to Uk 281 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 208 4
- Hmrc software 247 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 154 1
- Hosted email exchange 182 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 325 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 324 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 251 7
- Xtuple 514
- Qtac payroll for bureau 354
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 297
- Industrial & Provident Societies 291
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 232
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 200
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 199
- Domain name sale and limited company 176
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 150