Tax (and accounts) treatment of tenants property improvements
Client company is taking a five or seven year lease on incomplete shell of one floor of a building. Was originally planned as ground floor offices (or retail) but owner is getting planning change to allow residential (but can't afford to continue the development).
If my client takes the lease and spends £150k on the conversion and fit out to make into a number of apartments and then rents them out to students over the five years of the lease it should make a profit to cover all costs including the conversion costs.
But how do we treat tenants improvements in the accounts?
Client is convinced he gets 100% tax relief on the cost of refurbishment? My thoughts are tax relief at end of lease - but I'm not sure why.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Small company audit 577 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 455 20
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 429 10
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 539 14
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 682 19
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 209 3
- West Bromich Albion 406 3
- What are options for non CA firm 2,961 63
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 111 3
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 92 2
- registering my UK Ltd in Holland 214 4
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 108 4
- inheritance tax 500 13
- Invoices or receipts from non-vat registered businesses 76 1
- Deduction from Salary 801 22
- Interspouse Relief - Separate Couple 54 1
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,480 54
- 27,000 Really? 1,354 39
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 337 7
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 557 10
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 652
- Cancelled 413
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 409
- How not to compose an email 364
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 357
- Cancelled 350
- Probiz 320
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 305
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 232
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 208