Tax (and accounts) treatment of tenants property improvements
Client company is taking a five or seven year lease on incomplete shell of one floor of a building. Was originally planned as ground floor offices (or retail) but owner is getting planning change to allow residential (but can't afford to continue the development).
If my client takes the lease and spends £150k on the conversion and fit out to make into a number of apartments and then rents them out to students over the five years of the lease it should make a profit to cover all costs including the conversion costs.
But how do we treat tenants improvements in the accounts?
Client is convinced he gets 100% tax relief on the cost of refurbishment? My thoughts are tax relief at end of lease - but I'm not sure why.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 296 9
- Practice management 160 2
- Flat Conversion Allowance 69 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 220 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 90 1
- IHT and cash gifts 86 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 143 7
- Clothing 188 4
- VAT registration transfer 160 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 593 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 91 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 125 2
- Director drawings 408 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 325 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 104 1
- HMRC SA302s 214 3
- What does the "K" signify 440 7
- Director or self-employed 163 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 135 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 144 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 909
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 615
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 581
- Latest phishing scam 536
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 380
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 349
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 283
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 203
- Capital allowances in first basis period 192
- Sabbatical payments 179