Tax (and accounts) treatment of tenants property improvements
Client company is taking a five or seven year lease on incomplete shell of one floor of a building. Was originally planned as ground floor offices (or retail) but owner is getting planning change to allow residential (but can't afford to continue the development).
If my client takes the lease and spends £150k on the conversion and fit out to make into a number of apartments and then rents them out to students over the five years of the lease it should make a profit to cover all costs including the conversion costs.
But how do we treat tenants improvements in the accounts?
Client is convinced he gets 100% tax relief on the cost of refurbishment? My thoughts are tax relief at end of lease - but I'm not sure why.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Gift or Capital Gain? 335 10
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 266 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 887 25
- Abolish the penalty regime 83 3
- IHT Query 139 3
- Statutary sick pay 178 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 258 4
- Director Salary 354 2
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 330 6
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 295 7
- Capital Gain? 426 11
- Reversing out RTI 178 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 304 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 283 6
- BrightPay 628 18
- Classic cars investment 250 7
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 332 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 376 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 282 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 291 2
- Possible Partnership? 449
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 420
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 417
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 363
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 218
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 215
- Clubs and Taxable Income 206
- Income tax on foreign dividends 197
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 192
- New Fangled Penalties 165