Tax (and accounts) treatment of tenants property improvements
Client company is taking a five or seven year lease on incomplete shell of one floor of a building. Was originally planned as ground floor offices (or retail) but owner is getting planning change to allow residential (but can't afford to continue the development).
If my client takes the lease and spends £150k on the conversion and fit out to make into a number of apartments and then rents them out to students over the five years of the lease it should make a profit to cover all costs including the conversion costs.
But how do we treat tenants improvements in the accounts?
Client is convinced he gets 100% tax relief on the cost of refurbishment? My thoughts are tax relief at end of lease - but I'm not sure why.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Capital Allowance & AIA 58 1
- are we that stupid 868 19
- Foster Care 71 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 332 5
- letter of reference 144 1
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 76 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 284 3
- Flat Management Company 199 1
- Share structure questions - close company 177 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 165 4
- Income prior to company formation 338 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 724 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 316 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 127 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 527 5
- Practice software 1,420 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 364 1
- Company leaving VAT group 171 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 611 18
- Staff training 1,553 13
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 329
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 247
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 216
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 214
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 152
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 150
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 150
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148