Tax (and accounts) treatment of tenants property improvements
Client company is taking a five or seven year lease on incomplete shell of one floor of a building. Was originally planned as ground floor offices (or retail) but owner is getting planning change to allow residential (but can't afford to continue the development).
If my client takes the lease and spends £150k on the conversion and fit out to make into a number of apartments and then rents them out to students over the five years of the lease it should make a profit to cover all costs including the conversion costs.
But how do we treat tenants improvements in the accounts?
Client is convinced he gets 100% tax relief on the cost of refurbishment? My thoughts are tax relief at end of lease - but I'm not sure why.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 970 29
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 50 1
- Project being run jointly 167 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 297 4
- Companies House 585 9
- Dress code 349 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 116 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 317 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 720 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,421 25
- What would you do in this situation? 599 13
- Help Required 382 10
- directors control and tax problems 242 5
- Fastest Software 795 13
- What's in a name ? 356 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 274 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 457 15
- Bulk Invoicing 186 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 169 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 255 2
- CTA study material 712
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 433
- Employment related securities question 273
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 207
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 200
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 197
- Trust for Employee 192
- Expat pension contributions? 192
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 164