Tax (and accounts) treatment of tenants property improvements
Client company is taking a five or seven year lease on incomplete shell of one floor of a building. Was originally planned as ground floor offices (or retail) but owner is getting planning change to allow residential (but can't afford to continue the development).
If my client takes the lease and spends £150k on the conversion and fit out to make into a number of apartments and then rents them out to students over the five years of the lease it should make a profit to cover all costs including the conversion costs.
But how do we treat tenants improvements in the accounts?
Client is convinced he gets 100% tax relief on the cost of refurbishment? My thoughts are tax relief at end of lease - but I'm not sure why.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Cloud accounting package 92 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 978 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 766 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 472 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 230 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 137 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 206 6
- Next Move 295 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 388 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 159 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 203 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 330 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 696 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 251 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 140 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,204 34
- Casual Driver 234 4
- Self Assessment Software 629 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 337 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,250 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 393
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 371
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217