Tax (and accounts) treatment of tenants property improvements
Client company is taking a five or seven year lease on incomplete shell of one floor of a building. Was originally planned as ground floor offices (or retail) but owner is getting planning change to allow residential (but can't afford to continue the development).
If my client takes the lease and spends £150k on the conversion and fit out to make into a number of apartments and then rents them out to students over the five years of the lease it should make a profit to cover all costs including the conversion costs.
But how do we treat tenants improvements in the accounts?
Client is convinced he gets 100% tax relief on the cost of refurbishment? My thoughts are tax relief at end of lease - but I'm not sure why.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- How to explain this to someone 308 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 37 2
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 151 4
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 295 3
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 41 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 695 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 274 4
- Old CGT loss 342 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 279 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 169 6
- Start up allowance? 482 13
- New Starter Checklist 338 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 451 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 832 22
- Goodwill complications 356 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 609 21
- HMRC Distraint 259 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 217 2
- Will I need to resign? 714 9
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 147 3
- TheTax Donut 1,074
- Follower cases 512
- Hive up 447
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 414
- corporate hierarchy 405
- LIVE chat, starting now 390
- Advice - 225
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 198
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 183