Tax Determination & Time Limits
One man band plumber..... hasn't done a tax return for the year to 5 April 2009 and HMRC have now raised a Determination of Tax Due for £6,000 - being estimated income tax and class 4 NIC.
Having looked at the plumbers records - I estimate the true amount of tax to be due for the year to be around £15k.
My opinion is he has two options:
1. Submit a tax return showing the true amounts of tax & NIC due prior to 31/01/2013 - being three years after the original filing deadline; or
2. Pay the £6k tax per the determination and after 31/01/2013 HMRC are out of time to amend it.
Does that sound right? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 40 1
- 27,000 Really? 1,015 30
- This is getting boring 575 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 227 7
- pension paid by company? 72 3
- inheritance tax 392 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 310 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 208 4
- State pension 279 3
- Accountancy Career 96 1
- CIC Company 652 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,810 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,269 66
- Deduction from Salary 636 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 426 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,683 16
- Legal title not in the company name 757 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 293 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 537 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 306
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 240
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221