Tax Determination & Time Limits
One man band plumber..... hasn't done a tax return for the year to 5 April 2009 and HMRC have now raised a Determination of Tax Due for £6,000 - being estimated income tax and class 4 NIC.
Having looked at the plumbers records - I estimate the true amount of tax to be due for the year to be around £15k.
My opinion is he has two options:
1. Submit a tax return showing the true amounts of tax & NIC due prior to 31/01/2013 - being three years after the original filing deadline; or
2. Pay the £6k tax per the determination and after 31/01/2013 HMRC are out of time to amend it.
Does that sound right? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 179 1
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 130 3
- Using Xero with Barclays & Lloyds and multi company usage 347 3
- How to network with other Accountants? 89 1
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,412 52
- Option to tax by two individuals "together" not as a Ltd company 112 2
- Directors exempt from AE? 436 8
- Cut-off accounting question 300 7
- Freehold management company 69 1
- account in joint names - gift? 170 3
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 501 10
- HMRC site down ? 427 7
- exemptions from CIS 119 2
- Depreciation on purchase of software 428 7
- Class of Shares 191 4
- Contact at HMRC for agents 144 1
- Offshore bond assigned to UK discretionary trust 135 5
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 514 10
- What would you do? 597 5
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 608 23
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 388
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 343
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 325
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 307
- Electric Car 261
- S222 Charge 226
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 224
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 208
- Company Structure 202
- IP trans to holding company 162