Tax Determination & Time Limits
One man band plumber..... hasn't done a tax return for the year to 5 April 2009 and HMRC have now raised a Determination of Tax Due for £6,000 - being estimated income tax and class 4 NIC.
Having looked at the plumbers records - I estimate the true amount of tax to be due for the year to be around £15k.
My opinion is he has two options:
1. Submit a tax return showing the true amounts of tax & NIC due prior to 31/01/2013 - being three years after the original filing deadline; or
2. Pay the £6k tax per the determination and after 31/01/2013 HMRC are out of time to amend it.
Does that sound right? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 186 4
- SA302 279 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 234 4
- Go Cardless 327 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 211 3
- Hmrc software 223 3
- Mehjoo 266 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 110 1
- Hosted email exchange 173 5
- South African Government Pension 180 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 166 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 288 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 309 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 245 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 149 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 286 7
- New Email Extensions 200 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 318 2
- Dental practice incorpration 156 1
- Audit rules 182 4
- Xtuple 510
- Qtac payroll for bureau 349
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 293
- Industrial & Provident Societies 284
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 226
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 175
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 173
- Domain name sale and limited company 171
- CIS schemes 162
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 144