Tax Determination & Time Limits
One man band plumber..... hasn't done a tax return for the year to 5 April 2009 and HMRC have now raised a Determination of Tax Due for £6,000 - being estimated income tax and class 4 NIC.
Having looked at the plumbers records - I estimate the true amount of tax to be due for the year to be around £15k.
My opinion is he has two options:
1. Submit a tax return showing the true amounts of tax & NIC due prior to 31/01/2013 - being three years after the original filing deadline; or
2. Pay the £6k tax per the determination and after 31/01/2013 HMRC are out of time to amend it.
Does that sound right? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
- The stupidity continues 408 16
- transactions after account have been closed 74 2
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,306 25
- New Employers Helpline 177 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 155 3
- Software recommendations 239 1
- Share transfer question 354 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 292 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 154 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,400 19
- Overlap relief 749 19
- What is IRIS World like? 347 8
- Pension contributions 364 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 147 4
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 479 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 169 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 474 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 265 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 205 1
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 565 10
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 434
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 429
- WIP Software 293
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- No payroll scheme in place 230
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 205
- Is there anything wrong with this? 196
- Small Part Disposal of Property 181
- Uncommercial property business 175