Tax Determination & Time Limits
One man band plumber..... hasn't done a tax return for the year to 5 April 2009 and HMRC have now raised a Determination of Tax Due for £6,000 - being estimated income tax and class 4 NIC.
Having looked at the plumbers records - I estimate the true amount of tax to be due for the year to be around £15k.
My opinion is he has two options:
1. Submit a tax return showing the true amounts of tax & NIC due prior to 31/01/2013 - being three years after the original filing deadline; or
2. Pay the £6k tax per the determination and after 31/01/2013 HMRC are out of time to amend it.
Does that sound right? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
- Capital Gain? 407 11
- IHT Query 63 2
- Reversing out RTI 114 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 297 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 847 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 300 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 271 6
- BrightPay 612 18
- Classic cars investment 241 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 232 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 322 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 346 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 272 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 272 2
- H&W company 251 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 205 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 173 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 186 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 810 32
- VAT silly question 2,416 56
- Benchmarking 496
- Possible Partnership? 439
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 414
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 414
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 359
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 214
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 211
- Clubs and Taxable Income 203
- Income tax on foreign dividends 194
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 188