Tax Determination & Time Limits
One man band plumber..... hasn't done a tax return for the year to 5 April 2009 and HMRC have now raised a Determination of Tax Due for £6,000 - being estimated income tax and class 4 NIC.
Having looked at the plumbers records - I estimate the true amount of tax to be due for the year to be around £15k.
My opinion is he has two options:
1. Submit a tax return showing the true amounts of tax & NIC due prior to 31/01/2013 - being three years after the original filing deadline; or
2. Pay the £6k tax per the determination and after 31/01/2013 HMRC are out of time to amend it.
Does that sound right? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 564 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,230 36
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 183 3
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,454 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 159 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 820 33
- VAT flat rate scheme 61 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 276 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 77 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 179 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,065 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 395 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 138 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 205 3
- FPS or EPS 154 2
- Continuity of Practice 207 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 133 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 316 10
- Financial statements accounting policies 249 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 173 3
- Moving away from CCH software 951
- QROP pension input amounts 438
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 255
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 225
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 197