Tax Determination & Time Limits
One man band plumber..... hasn't done a tax return for the year to 5 April 2009 and HMRC have now raised a Determination of Tax Due for £6,000 - being estimated income tax and class 4 NIC.
Having looked at the plumbers records - I estimate the true amount of tax to be due for the year to be around £15k.
My opinion is he has two options:
1. Submit a tax return showing the true amounts of tax & NIC due prior to 31/01/2013 - being three years after the original filing deadline; or
2. Pay the £6k tax per the determination and after 31/01/2013 HMRC are out of time to amend it.
Does that sound right? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,473 22
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 833 26
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 274 4
- Cocaine anyone? 157 2
- ACCA - still making me laugh 458 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 254 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 329 11
- Tax return software for remote working 479 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 551 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 444 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 450 9
- How to purchase business premises? 171 2
- Will I need to resign? 830 10
- Childcare vouchers 191 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 276 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 300 6
- VAT avoidance? 239 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 193 3
- PAYE coding out 208 3
- Follower cases 578 2
- Hive up 476
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 438
- corporate hierarchy 416
- Advice - 249
- Amortisation of Goodwill 224
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 209
- WWOOFers 205
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 191
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 184
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 179