Tax Determination & Time Limits
One man band plumber..... hasn't done a tax return for the year to 5 April 2009 and HMRC have now raised a Determination of Tax Due for £6,000 - being estimated income tax and class 4 NIC.
Having looked at the plumbers records - I estimate the true amount of tax to be due for the year to be around £15k.
My opinion is he has two options:
1. Submit a tax return showing the true amounts of tax & NIC due prior to 31/01/2013 - being three years after the original filing deadline; or
2. Pay the £6k tax per the determination and after 31/01/2013 HMRC are out of time to amend it.
Does that sound right? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
- Online Back Up 71 3
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 392 6
- Self-employed 176 8
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 436 11
- Personal Service Company and Isle of Man 165 1
- Microsoft One Drive 507 18
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 988 19
- VAT commercial property TOGC 98 2
- Audacity 1,414 24
- minority interest discount 198 6
- Seeking advice: Need some help with Company Accounts 619 9
- Not a question but made my day 1,259 24
- Software Sales 137 2
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 361 10
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 348 5
- vat gross margins 141 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,616 13
- A rant - Debt Management units vs PAYE office response times 207 1
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 220 4
- On to a loser here? 1,211 4
- NHS finance professionals 607
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 391
- Foreign Pension Contribution 367
- vat gross profit percentage margins 338
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 333
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 311
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 277
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 269
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 238
- IFA income recognition & reporting 202