tax enquiry advice needed
A new client (taxi driver) has lost all his not very well kept records for the last few years. His explanation was a difficult relationship breakdown and family issues with moving from one place to the next.
The tax returns for the last 6 years have not been prepared nor submitted by the ex-accountants. He now has received a letter from HMRC requesting Income & expenditure schedules for the past 6 years.
I am stuck as the client has no records at all apart from a letter from the taxi office confirming the base rent. No figures for fuel, mileage, repairs, insurance, or sales.
He has however provided a single set of accounts from a few years ago but without any supporting data. I am not sure of what i can possibly. I can't even get intouch with licensing authority as he has changed a number of vehicles over the period and does'nt have any records!
Is it advisable to send through the single set of accounts of a few years ago prepared by the other accountant and prepare draft I&E for the remainder years with exactly the same figs and explain to the inspector that there is no other option and he should consider that as the best estimate?
Apologies for the rambling, i've never seen a case as bad as this one. Thanks for your comments.
- Xmas party 173 2
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 400 8
- Fixed asset registers 325 10
- Tech Champion of the Year 277 6
- Just because it's Friday 343 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,373 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 182 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 112 4
- Capital Allowances 173 4
- equipment rental 225 10
- Acquisition by company 144 5
- Non sequitur 549 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,528 23
- R&D on products not sold 107 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 953 13
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 205 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 656 9
- Transfer of land to family members 118 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 603 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 237 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,371
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 437
- Alphabet shares 243
- Agent fees to sell business 231
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 230
- Charge out rates in London 187
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 170
- which entity 151
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 141