tax enquiry advice needed
A new client (taxi driver) has lost all his not very well kept records for the last few years. His explanation was a difficult relationship breakdown and family issues with moving from one place to the next.
The tax returns for the last 6 years have not been prepared nor submitted by the ex-accountants. He now has received a letter from HMRC requesting Income & expenditure schedules for the past 6 years.
I am stuck as the client has no records at all apart from a letter from the taxi office confirming the base rent. No figures for fuel, mileage, repairs, insurance, or sales.
He has however provided a single set of accounts from a few years ago but without any supporting data. I am not sure of what i can possibly. I can't even get intouch with licensing authority as he has changed a number of vehicles over the period and does'nt have any records!
Is it advisable to send through the single set of accounts of a few years ago prepared by the other accountant and prepare draft I&E for the remainder years with exactly the same figs and explain to the inspector that there is no other option and he should consider that as the best estimate?
Apologies for the rambling, i've never seen a case as bad as this one. Thanks for your comments.
- Giving a seminar 532 29
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 199 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 191 9
- JIEB Exams 131 1
- RTI 89 1
- Christmas party 104 1
- Am i Liable? 114 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 739 10
- Checking a contract 294 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 311 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 230 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 161 7
- VAT on garage rent 325 14
- Value-shifting 68 1
- Pattern for CTA 208 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 452 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 84 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 233 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 243 5
- EBT 179 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,211
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 608
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 407
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 315
- Agent fees to sell business 189
- Alphabet shares 189
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 182
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 176
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 164
- Office recharges 147