Tax enquiry: "Why is ltd co director not an employee of end client?"
Strange tax enquiry question. The client is a typical contractor/consultant -not IT, but does get work via an agency usually on 6 month contracts. The first enquiry letter asked for a breakdown of sales invoices, which for the year in question were all for the same contract (6 months in middle of year with no work before and after that year). I answered and expected a reply asking why IR35 hasn't been applied etc - i.e. the usual stuff re IR35.
But, no, the inspector has asked "why he is not considered an employee of that company" meaning the end client. This has thrown me. He can't be an employee of the end client because the work is being done via two intermediaries, the agency and his own limited company. I don't know if the inspector is trying to be clever/devious or whether it's simply a new inspector who doesn't really know about limited companies. Should I respond with the full arguments about employment versus self employment (i.e. IR35 etc), or should I respond to say that he can't be an employee because of the two intermediaries?
Other questions asked by the inspector tend to suggest he is relatively new and experienced (i.e. referring to "proprietor" and "self employment" in a question about training costs which are only relevant to a sole trader, not a limited company director).
- Professional coaching claimable? 89 1
- Sage instant account codes 123 1
- Networking 137 1
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 265 4
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 180 1
- Turnover on a tax return 307 8
- incorrect old p60 451 11
- Cashflow forecasting software 304 4
- Letter to HMRC over 3 months ago, still no reply 1,933 19
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 294 4
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 252 3
- VAT refund 190 1
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 264 1
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 270 3
- Missing tax return 397 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,128 30
- Inflation and fees 1,410 24
- Sage Priority Support 193 3
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 847 24
- Micro-entity accounts 318 1