Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Recharge for private use of a company car 603 18
- Community awards 2014 - first category 217 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 346 18
- Payment plans for clients 293 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 109 4
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 484 14
- Employee steeling client data 149 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,374 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 195 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 137 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 94 1
- CT600 282 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 225 4
- signature required 924 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 214 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 349 4
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 182 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 95 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 163 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 108 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,312
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 861
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 560
- Credit where credit's due....... 344
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 264
- TheTax Donut 237
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 196
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 188
- Director's business mileage 159
- Sole trader CPD 149