Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- blank - ignore 403 7
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 35 1
- Close Ltd and be taxed as a sole trader 32 1
- foreign income 148 3
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 143 5
- Company Van taxable benefit 83 3
- Non resident income. 356 18
- White van man 779 26
- Should i tell HMRC 1,221 12
- How to value a business asset? 102 4
- Companies House praise 167 1
- EIS reinvestment relief 159 12
- Do we have to register for VAT? 345 6
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 540 18
- Unbelievable!! 645 4
- Identity check problem 1,105 11
- Declaration of interest 115 3
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 331 16
- Tax Penalty overreaction 1,852 13
- Entrepreneurs relief 110 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 868
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 565
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 531
- Latest phishing scam 453
- Entrepreneurs' relief 405
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 354
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 332
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 314
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 236
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 215