Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,182 46
- Practical experience 858 16
- Xerocon 2016 823 13
- Personal Tax 214 3
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,867 41
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 243 2
- Mortgage Reference 186 2
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 169 3
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 436 9
- VAT 308 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 231 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 201 1
- last minute request 306 3
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 81 1
- Cash gift from India 504 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 87 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 472 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 136 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 287 6
- Maternity and claining expenses 674 6