Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 374 17
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 68 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 772 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,469 31
- Is this fraud? 317 5
- Saying goodbye 434 13
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 823 36
- Tax on private fuel for own car 200 5
- Sportman claiming for training kit 995 11
- Flat rate scheme 182 3
- Drop box Storage 201 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 275 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,192 413
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 621 4
- Furnished lettings criteria 152 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 416 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 149 2
- Pension Contributions Relief 369 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 126 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 204 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,271
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 455
- National Insurance 352
- Non Resident 267
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 261
- Franchise income and costs 240
- Hands on experience of Digita 198
- Employer's Helpline 146
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 140
- employment capital allowances 137