Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Missing C79 148 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 482 16
- VAT margin scheme 263 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 293 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,722 17
- IHT Query 422 9
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 95 1
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 121 2
- Get it off your chest 244 4
- Directors bonus 151 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 102 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 277 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 252 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 169 3
- break even point 1,119 33
- The return 792 27
- Sell business after leaving country 333 6
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 94 2
- Charity accounting 89 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 1,017 44
- Possible Partnership? 555
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 552
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 481
- New Fangled Penalties 354
- Clubs and Taxable Income 292
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 273
- Loans to other companies 219
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 211
- Outsource Data Entry 176
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 176