Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 468 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 87 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,100 7
- Bereavment payment 64 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 268 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 341 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,291 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 142 2
- Companies House incorporation service 342 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 73 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 146 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 191 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 199 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 259 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 139 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 148 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,598 12
- Share Capital 128 2
- Trading income or not? 191 1
- Charge HMRC 421 3
- Xtuple 547
- Qtac payroll for bureau 375
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 316
- Industrial & Provident Societies 313
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 290
- CIS schemes 221
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Investment 185
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 184
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 178