Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,319 17
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 117 3
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 246 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 290 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 142 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 145 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 184 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,252 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 130 2
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 115 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 384 7
- Wear and tear allowance 451 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 199 6
- Residency test 199 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 246 3
- VAT Turnover 141 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 147 1
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 135 4
- Company purchase of shares 291 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 144 2
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 690
- Auto enrolment excuses 665
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 366
- Social investment tax relief 181
- Call Centre Data Costs 178
- Digita Hosted Software 177
- option to tax 161
- VAT on deposits 148
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 136
- Travel costs and contractors 132