Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 396 8
- NED remuneration for a Swiss national 84 2
- effective advertising 338 7
- Multiple director loans (Full amount or pro rated) 60 1
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,446 5
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 312 7
- Company asserts 176 3
- Can't find a good web address 256 4
- Bank stream and receipt bank advice... 113 1
- Example accounts 147 1
- Director resignation 344 6
- VAT on unused stock 122 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 166 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 200 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 216 5
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 201 8
- Software recommendations 326 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 183 3
- Edible spam? 842 16
- Put fees on website 354 6
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 484
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 470
- WIP Software 341
- No payroll scheme in place 297
- Is there anything wrong with this? 260
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 257
- Small Part Disposal of Property 232
- Uncommercial property business 231
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 195
- SA Penalty 190