Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 918 20
- Moneysoft Payroll 160 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 73 1
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 243 9
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 242 4
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 923 14
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 469 7
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 160 4
- Client right to working papers 1,540 11
- vat gross margins 186 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 203 4
- e mail 181 1
- Auto enrolment 580 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,354 6
- VAT on new build property 156 2
- Auto enrolment 299 9
- SAGE 50 2011 154 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,631 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,878 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 216 2
- NHS finance professionals 669
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 411
- Foreign Pension Contribution 378
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 368
- vat gross profit percentage margins 358
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 351
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 310
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 276
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 239
- IFA income recognition & reporting 212