Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 704 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 806 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 347 5
- Paying Son 771 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 397 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 280 10
- Love is in the air 646 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,065 47
- Setting up a practice 591 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 576 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 524 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 447 1
- Stamp Duty 308 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 243 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,841 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 425 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 601 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 594 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 436 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 406 9
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 297
- Foreign domicile status 287
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 244
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 232
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 227