Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Tax Allowance on University Course 22 1
- Gift to employee 339 9
- Transfer of a business 92 1
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 421 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,096 22
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 61 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 393 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 96 2
- Sage Import Data 284 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 234 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 74 2
- Best time software for small practice? 195 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 308 13
- private to company car? 354 9
- Which address 993 11
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 96 1
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 256 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 954 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 255 6
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 468 17
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 471
- CTA study material 450
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 324
- Pre incorp expenses 301
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 260
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 248
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 149
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 133
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 128