Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 193 2
- Employment Allowance 238 3
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 158 4
- CIC Company 524 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,344 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 292 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 870 18
- NALS Accountants Report 120 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,482 35
- Legal title not in the company name 292 10
- Dividend dates 573 10
- Sole properietor 201 4
- transitioning payroll 251 8
- dividend proposals 132 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 249 2
- Deduction from Salary 309 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 209 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,748 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 95 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 441 10
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 625
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 313
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 284
- Probiz 274
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 235
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 231
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 205
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 177