Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Cash basis 435 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 124 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 255 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 277 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 145 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 284 6
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 148 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,836 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 315 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 222 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 78 1
- Investor exit 186 3
- Partially exempt? 362 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 133 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 396 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,246 22
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 375 4
- Statutory sick pay 243 3
- Overseas bank interest 227 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 168 1
- Skandia using wrong address 559
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 303
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 300
- Employee rewards 283
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 237
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 221
- Etax Australian 181
- LLP in Construction Industry 146
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 127
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 125