Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 934 29
- You know its over 295 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 479 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 201 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 153 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 139 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 206 3
- Cocaine anyone? 492 8
- Late Registration for VAT 476 13
- EIS/SEIS 134 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 267 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 408 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 414 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 701 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 549 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 579 4
- Personal pension 396 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,212 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 160 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 452
- corporate hierarchy 432
- Advice - 269
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 222
- WWOOFers 215
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 172
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171