Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Market Value/Connected Persons 272 10
- Online Downtime 324 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 305 3
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 185 3
- FPS or EPS 54 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 760 31
- Personal allowance 657 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 152 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,919 16
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 113 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 427 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,109 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 305 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 383 10
- VAT on employee loan 300 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 960 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 170 2
- Accountants website 404 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 175 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 497 8
- Moving away from CCH software 941
- QROP pension input amounts 434
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 376
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 351
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 315
- fraud 274
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 244
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 216
- Construction CIS LLP Company 202
- EPS and CIS deductions 189