Tax equilisation gone wrong
Any assistance or experience in getting the right result here.
Client worked for international company in many jurisidictions and they operated a tax equilisation scheme to ensure he was no better/worse off from other tax regimes. Fairly common occurrence.
UK tax returns were complied by a Big 4 firm (to save blushes I wont say which).
Client left this employment in 2005/06. Return done and filed. But crucially and my client didnt notice the P60 relating to the equilisation was omitted. He was also not removed from SA system.
He continued to work abroad and returned to UK last year. HMRC raised their heads and demanding payment for 2005/06 and 4 o/s returns. This is where we came in.
Problem is 2005/06 is out of time and HMRC wont accept amendment, they say debt is technically due and as client signed return, tough cheese.
I have tried asking debt collection to waive collection but am getting pretty much nowhere.
Further ideas of who to lean on as this money isnt due.
BTW I dont think a PI claim against one of the worlds biggest firms as going to be the most practical route.
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 116 2
- Industry Reports 33 1
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 55 1
- recompense capital input 221 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 748 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,159 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 709 31
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 282 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 108 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 240 2
- CT losses carry back 127 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 551 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 204 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 812 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 423 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,325 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 166 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 192 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 244 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 1,007 22
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 801
- RTI - duplicate employee record 567
- Pensions Regulator 458
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 416
- Portia ... Where art thou 344
- Sanzar 318
- How do you do it 307
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 275
- new investor structure 186