Tax free or not
I have read HMRC 6 Residence, domicile and the remittance basis and I have come to the conclusion that the income is exempt from UK tax, but I would appreciate the views of others, to ensure I have not missed or misinterpreted anything.
Notice to file a 2011/2012 tax return issued.
Client unsure if P85 completed will let me know tomorrow.
Client has never previously worked outside of UK, therefore domiciled, resident and ordinarily resident in UK
Facts - in Feb 2011 Electrician began working for an American contractor in Afghanistan. Contract states "duration - long term - 12 months" and then within the contract it states "employment is for an unspecified time period and can be terminated by either party at any time"
Salary, allowances and reimbursed expenses are all paid in dollars and the funds where paid direct into a UK bank account.
Client left UK for Croatia for training on 8/2/2011, then on 15/2/2011 flew to Dubai for onward flight to Afghanistan on 16/2/2011
Visits to UK where as follows:-
Arrived 19/5/2011 returned to Afghanistan 7/6/2011
Arrived 11/9/2011, went Rep of Ireland to get married on14/9/2011 returned to UK 20/9/2011 went to Portugal for honeymoon 21/9/2011 returned to UK 28/9/2011, returned to Afghanistan 1/10/2011.
Arrived 21/12/2011 went to Rep of Ireland 23/12/2011 returned to UK 2/1/2012 returned to Afghanistan 10/1/2012
Returned to UK 6/4/2012 after contract ceased.
I have calculated that total days home where 62 including trips to Rep of Ireland and honeymoon in Portugal.
I have based my conclusion on Ch 8.5 "leaving UK to work abroad as an employee" and based on this the client is not resident and not ordinarily resident for 2011/2012, then based on table 10.10.1 duties performed wholly outside the UK - not liable to UK Tax.
Have I missed anything? or been to simplistic in my approve?
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 94 4
- Related Parties Note 142 4
- Matching of tax return to P60 82 2
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,026 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,211 53
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 774 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 198 7
- what time is it ? 328 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 91 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 435 24
- VAT on disbursement 170 2
- tax credits 222 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,054 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 91 1
- LLP - Member leaving 203 6
- Year end 272 3
- Foreign income for self employed 177 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 320 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 339 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,175 14
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 922
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 532
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 340
- How to format a stock book 326
- Tax efficient holding company structure 261
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 252
- Investment property company accounts template 235
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 199
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 192
- Charge out rates in London? 160