Tax free or not
I have read HMRC 6 Residence, domicile and the remittance basis and I have come to the conclusion that the income is exempt from UK tax, but I would appreciate the views of others, to ensure I have not missed or misinterpreted anything.
Notice to file a 2011/2012 tax return issued.
Client unsure if P85 completed will let me know tomorrow.
Client has never previously worked outside of UK, therefore domiciled, resident and ordinarily resident in UK
Facts - in Feb 2011 Electrician began working for an American contractor in Afghanistan. Contract states "duration - long term - 12 months" and then within the contract it states "employment is for an unspecified time period and can be terminated by either party at any time"
Salary, allowances and reimbursed expenses are all paid in dollars and the funds where paid direct into a UK bank account.
Client left UK for Croatia for training on 8/2/2011, then on 15/2/2011 flew to Dubai for onward flight to Afghanistan on 16/2/2011
Visits to UK where as follows:-
Arrived 19/5/2011 returned to Afghanistan 7/6/2011
Arrived 11/9/2011, went Rep of Ireland to get married on14/9/2011 returned to UK 20/9/2011 went to Portugal for honeymoon 21/9/2011 returned to UK 28/9/2011, returned to Afghanistan 1/10/2011.
Arrived 21/12/2011 went to Rep of Ireland 23/12/2011 returned to UK 2/1/2012 returned to Afghanistan 10/1/2012
Returned to UK 6/4/2012 after contract ceased.
I have calculated that total days home where 62 including trips to Rep of Ireland and honeymoon in Portugal.
I have based my conclusion on Ch 8.5 "leaving UK to work abroad as an employee" and based on this the client is not resident and not ordinarily resident for 2011/2012, then based on table 10.10.1 duties performed wholly outside the UK - not liable to UK Tax.
Have I missed anything? or been to simplistic in my approve?
- Capital Gain? 408 11
- IHT Query 66 2
- Reversing out RTI 116 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 297 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 847 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 302 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 271 6
- BrightPay 614 18
- Classic cars investment 243 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 234 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 324 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 349 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 273 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 273 2
- H&W company 252 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 209 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 174 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 191 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 811 32
- VAT silly question 2,417 56
- Benchmarking 497
- Possible Partnership? 441
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 415
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 415
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 361
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 215
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 212
- Clubs and Taxable Income 204
- Income tax on foreign dividends 195
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 189