Tax free or not
I have read HMRC 6 Residence, domicile and the remittance basis and I have come to the conclusion that the income is exempt from UK tax, but I would appreciate the views of others, to ensure I have not missed or misinterpreted anything.
Notice to file a 2011/2012 tax return issued.
Client unsure if P85 completed will let me know tomorrow.
Client has never previously worked outside of UK, therefore domiciled, resident and ordinarily resident in UK
Facts - in Feb 2011 Electrician began working for an American contractor in Afghanistan. Contract states "duration - long term - 12 months" and then within the contract it states "employment is for an unspecified time period and can be terminated by either party at any time"
Salary, allowances and reimbursed expenses are all paid in dollars and the funds where paid direct into a UK bank account.
Client left UK for Croatia for training on 8/2/2011, then on 15/2/2011 flew to Dubai for onward flight to Afghanistan on 16/2/2011
Visits to UK where as follows:-
Arrived 19/5/2011 returned to Afghanistan 7/6/2011
Arrived 11/9/2011, went Rep of Ireland to get married on14/9/2011 returned to UK 20/9/2011 went to Portugal for honeymoon 21/9/2011 returned to UK 28/9/2011, returned to Afghanistan 1/10/2011.
Arrived 21/12/2011 went to Rep of Ireland 23/12/2011 returned to UK 2/1/2012 returned to Afghanistan 10/1/2012
Returned to UK 6/4/2012 after contract ceased.
I have calculated that total days home where 62 including trips to Rep of Ireland and honeymoon in Portugal.
I have based my conclusion on Ch 8.5 "leaving UK to work abroad as an employee" and based on this the client is not resident and not ordinarily resident for 2011/2012, then based on table 10.10.1 duties performed wholly outside the UK - not liable to UK Tax.
Have I missed anything? or been to simplistic in my approve?
- What does it mean?? 334 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 284 13
- VAT on motor expenses 887 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 80 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 60 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,705 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,299 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 91 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 137 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 160 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 189 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 154 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 741 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 386 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 204 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 330 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 112 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 391 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 93 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 327 15
- Skandia using wrong address 1,547
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 471
- NOVA 328
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 230
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 219
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Management expenses for investment company 207
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 202
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 190