Tax free or not
I have read HMRC 6 Residence, domicile and the remittance basis and I have come to the conclusion that the income is exempt from UK tax, but I would appreciate the views of others, to ensure I have not missed or misinterpreted anything.
Notice to file a 2011/2012 tax return issued.
Client unsure if P85 completed will let me know tomorrow.
Client has never previously worked outside of UK, therefore domiciled, resident and ordinarily resident in UK
Facts - in Feb 2011 Electrician began working for an American contractor in Afghanistan. Contract states "duration - long term - 12 months" and then within the contract it states "employment is for an unspecified time period and can be terminated by either party at any time"
Salary, allowances and reimbursed expenses are all paid in dollars and the funds where paid direct into a UK bank account.
Client left UK for Croatia for training on 8/2/2011, then on 15/2/2011 flew to Dubai for onward flight to Afghanistan on 16/2/2011
Visits to UK where as follows:-
Arrived 19/5/2011 returned to Afghanistan 7/6/2011
Arrived 11/9/2011, went Rep of Ireland to get married on14/9/2011 returned to UK 20/9/2011 went to Portugal for honeymoon 21/9/2011 returned to UK 28/9/2011, returned to Afghanistan 1/10/2011.
Arrived 21/12/2011 went to Rep of Ireland 23/12/2011 returned to UK 2/1/2012 returned to Afghanistan 10/1/2012
Returned to UK 6/4/2012 after contract ceased.
I have calculated that total days home where 62 including trips to Rep of Ireland and honeymoon in Portugal.
I have based my conclusion on Ch 8.5 "leaving UK to work abroad as an employee" and based on this the client is not resident and not ordinarily resident for 2011/2012, then based on table 10.10.1 duties performed wholly outside the UK - not liable to UK Tax.
Have I missed anything? or been to simplistic in my approve?
- What is Tronk System of payroll ? 39 1
- Writing down allowance / AIA 145 5
- Company name change question... 145 2
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 426 14
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 257 4
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,309 23
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 159 5
- Consolidation IFRS 70 1
- White van man 433 20
- Worried over stock value 220 4
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 119 1
- foreign income 125 2
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 199 9
- Window Comb Binder Cover 306 5
- STUDENT LOAN 105 1
- Bookkeeping question 601 6
- wave software 230 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 359 8
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 253 3
- Backdate C79? 171 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 830
- Copy Wanted 555
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 511
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 489
- Latest phishing scam 349
- Entrepreneurs' relief 323
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 296
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 284
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 281
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 185