Tax free or not
I have read HMRC 6 Residence, domicile and the remittance basis and I have come to the conclusion that the income is exempt from UK tax, but I would appreciate the views of others, to ensure I have not missed or misinterpreted anything.
Notice to file a 2011/2012 tax return issued.
Client unsure if P85 completed will let me know tomorrow.
Client has never previously worked outside of UK, therefore domiciled, resident and ordinarily resident in UK
Facts - in Feb 2011 Electrician began working for an American contractor in Afghanistan. Contract states "duration - long term - 12 months" and then within the contract it states "employment is for an unspecified time period and can be terminated by either party at any time"
Salary, allowances and reimbursed expenses are all paid in dollars and the funds where paid direct into a UK bank account.
Client left UK for Croatia for training on 8/2/2011, then on 15/2/2011 flew to Dubai for onward flight to Afghanistan on 16/2/2011
Visits to UK where as follows:-
Arrived 19/5/2011 returned to Afghanistan 7/6/2011
Arrived 11/9/2011, went Rep of Ireland to get married on14/9/2011 returned to UK 20/9/2011 went to Portugal for honeymoon 21/9/2011 returned to UK 28/9/2011, returned to Afghanistan 1/10/2011.
Arrived 21/12/2011 went to Rep of Ireland 23/12/2011 returned to UK 2/1/2012 returned to Afghanistan 10/1/2012
Returned to UK 6/4/2012 after contract ceased.
I have calculated that total days home where 62 including trips to Rep of Ireland and honeymoon in Portugal.
I have based my conclusion on Ch 8.5 "leaving UK to work abroad as an employee" and based on this the client is not resident and not ordinarily resident for 2011/2012, then based on table 10.10.1 duties performed wholly outside the UK - not liable to UK Tax.
Have I missed anything? or been to simplistic in my approve?
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,048 38
- Farm barn lettings 94 2
- 27,000 Really? 571 23
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,977 62
- West Bromich Albion 142 1
- accounting entries for over payments 88 2
- EYU adjustment to 13/14 PAYE 91 1
- This is getting boring 337 9
- Legal title not in the company name 514 18
- Child tax credits 309 5
- VAT on printing when being a third party 68 1
- NALS Accountants Report 244 3
- VAT - Recharge 195 6
- Employment Allowance 330 5
- CIC Company 594 10
- transitioning payroll 327 9
- dividend proposals 243 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 297 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,580 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 233 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 629
- Cancelled 368
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 319
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 293
- Probiz 278
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 248
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 238
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 212
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 180