Tax free or not
I have read HMRC 6 Residence, domicile and the remittance basis and I have come to the conclusion that the income is exempt from UK tax, but I would appreciate the views of others, to ensure I have not missed or misinterpreted anything.
Notice to file a 2011/2012 tax return issued.
Client unsure if P85 completed will let me know tomorrow.
Client has never previously worked outside of UK, therefore domiciled, resident and ordinarily resident in UK
Facts - in Feb 2011 Electrician began working for an American contractor in Afghanistan. Contract states "duration - long term - 12 months" and then within the contract it states "employment is for an unspecified time period and can be terminated by either party at any time"
Salary, allowances and reimbursed expenses are all paid in dollars and the funds where paid direct into a UK bank account.
Client left UK for Croatia for training on 8/2/2011, then on 15/2/2011 flew to Dubai for onward flight to Afghanistan on 16/2/2011
Visits to UK where as follows:-
Arrived 19/5/2011 returned to Afghanistan 7/6/2011
Arrived 11/9/2011, went Rep of Ireland to get married on14/9/2011 returned to UK 20/9/2011 went to Portugal for honeymoon 21/9/2011 returned to UK 28/9/2011, returned to Afghanistan 1/10/2011.
Arrived 21/12/2011 went to Rep of Ireland 23/12/2011 returned to UK 2/1/2012 returned to Afghanistan 10/1/2012
Returned to UK 6/4/2012 after contract ceased.
I have calculated that total days home where 62 including trips to Rep of Ireland and honeymoon in Portugal.
I have based my conclusion on Ch 8.5 "leaving UK to work abroad as an employee" and based on this the client is not resident and not ordinarily resident for 2011/2012, then based on table 10.10.1 duties performed wholly outside the UK - not liable to UK Tax.
Have I missed anything? or been to simplistic in my approve?
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 129 3
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,463 40
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 76 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 236 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 228 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,229 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 361 6
- Go Cardless 378 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 324 3
- Mehjoo 332 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 147 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 404 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 193 4
- SA302 342 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 292 13
- Bringing money to Uk 297 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 218 4
- Hmrc software 258 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 191 1
- Hosted email exchange 191 5
- Xtuple 517
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 210
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 209
- Domain name sale and limited company 181
- CIS schemes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151