Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 148 6
- VAT Option to tax 452 17
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 187 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 124 2
- Director leaving in month 1 107 2
- Ex Gratia payments 65 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 248 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 147 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 185 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 180 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 166 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 93 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 240 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 53 1
- CIS and Close Company 92 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 227 4
- Secondment expenses 153 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 124 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 139 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 906
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 637
- Free Tax Legislation? 401
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 333
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 287
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 182