Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,990 98
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 209 6
- Self assesment online 304 6
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 973 32
- What sectors to target? 298 11
- Refusing to complete a tax return 363 10
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 33 2
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 410 15
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 109 7
- Practice management 225 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 443 6
- More NI or same 136 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 242 4
- Repayment of maternity pay 64 1
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 160 1
- Year end 103 1
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 155 2
- IHT and cash gifts 180 4
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 750 32
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 369 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 624
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 586
- Latest phishing scam 553
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 287
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 208
- Capital allowances in first basis period 196
- Sabbatical payments 182
- Scratch Head 177