Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Assets requested back from supplier ? 285 4
- What is your favourite font? 371 11
- Opening Balances with very little info... 68 1
- CGT on Let Property 351 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 296 4
- Strike off 217 7
- Franchise affiliations 105 1
- Company investment 154 4
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 89 1
- Gift to son by parents 343 3
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,200 35
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 155 4
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 459 7
- New CASC rules 151 2
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 275 2
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 148 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 252 6
- valuation of vehicles 533 20
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 133 1
- RTI Mess 611 10
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 339
- Any thoughts on Capium? 291
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 270
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 240
- auto enrolment 217
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 198
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 191
- How to account for investment in JV? 175
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 167