Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 342 15
- Accounting software integration with self assessment 86 2
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 159 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 287 8
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 120 5
- Excel query 177 3
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,070 15
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 174 3
- Agent authorisation for RTI filing 51 1
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,349 14
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 570 9
- Payment on account penalties 174 4
- How much did you pay for your website 1,709 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 116 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 124 1
- Does IR35 apply? 123 1
- Sage data 120 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 428 9
- Limited company buying a car 368 6
- Funding Circle experience 178 3
- CTA study material 810
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 500
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 465
- Employment related securities question 327
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 287
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 244
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162