Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Busines software 40 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 283 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 126 5
- Buy to let and capitak gain 89 2
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 281 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 447 10
- are receipts needed? 592 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 249 3
- Bookkeping software 699 7
- Clogged Losses 273 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 250 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 647 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 306 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 256 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 114 1
- General tax book with planning 247 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 186 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 199 1
- Gift of property & improvements 156 3
- VAT Invoice 212 6
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 906
- International interest certificate 518
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 316
- Management expenses for investment company 272
- Bonus Bonds 264
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 179
- P11D benefit received by widow 156
- EXACT ONLINE 151
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 149