Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 67 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,254 19
- Scanners 165 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 76 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 155 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 232 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 400 9
- Payment plans for clients 114 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 224 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 237 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 444 9
- P60 or payslips? 93 1
- Property income in different capacities 106 1
- IHT dilemma 1,382 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 190 1
- IT advisory questions? 177 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 793 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 144 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,158
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 798
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 487
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 271
- Director phone costs 233
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 226
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 198
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 152
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 136