Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 266 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 384 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 162 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,115 13
- Really?! 817 10
- CIS 213 5
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,176 16
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,375 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 649 15
- VAT 701/49 query 227 2
- backpack 302 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 166 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 250 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 350 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 198 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 167 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 197 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 138 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 256 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 468 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 705
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 416
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 357
- Costly Accounting Software contract 314
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 255
- Directors' advances and credits 255
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 222
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203