Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Fees for Property Tax Return 551 17
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 129 2
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 216 5
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 444 10
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 251 16
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 332 13
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 40 1
- Can't read my handwriting 669 16
- Corp Tax Refund 207 3
- corp tax software 1,059 14
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 390 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 434 6
- PRR 477 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 140 1
- Working from home - time apportionment 313 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 219 2
- cross border vat 120 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,962 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 806 17
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,678 74
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,375
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 521
- National Insurance 421
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 232
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 152