Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Charging VAT to a Swedish Company 71 4
- proposed dividends 504 20
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 210 1
- HMRC repayment has gone to wrong bank account - quickest way to resolve? 298 5
- Valuing Famiy Shareholding 75 1
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 238 4
- Tax credits and Concentrix 124 3
- Capital gains on tax return - attachments 171 5
- Estate Agent - Advertising/WIP 82 1
- Missing PAYE codes 211 4
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 671 14
- FPS responses ... 369 12
- Nominal Codes 158 7
- How far back can a direct debit be claimed back by client? 521 4
- DLA Write Off Tax Implications 433 8
- Do I need to revise VAT returns 124 1
- Option to Tax 90 1
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 1,150 23
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 123 1
- CGT on transfer of shares to Holding company 207 7
- Sanzar 479
- Digital marketing focus group 392
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 369
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 314
- Continuity Agreement 313
- Sainsbury's mangement 311
- Avanti Accounts 308
- Buyback 280
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 227
- Aggresive sales from Iris 173