Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 621 9
- Property gift to sister 207 6
- Who gets the CGT deduction 257 3
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,565 27
- VAT training 333 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 276 7
- 31st october deadline 384 6
- RTI Late Registration query 147 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 261 2
- Payroll software 183 1
- Accounting for display stands 274 7
- Companies House Search 317 3
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 325 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,533 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 329 3
- A Friday Funny. 370 5
- Something for the weekend? 346 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 575 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,261 19
- Coming out of flat rate 177 1
- NHS finance professionals 711
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 403
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 388
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 384
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 338
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 302
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 283
- IFA income recognition & reporting 224
- Incorporating doctors 223