Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Company asserts 90 1
- VAT on unused stock 49 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 123 4
- Can't find a good web address 167 3
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 184 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 207 5
- effective advertising 239 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 190 8
- Software recommendations 313 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 151 3
- Edible spam? 804 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 307 5
- Put fees on website 291 6
- Director resignation 230 4
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,547 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,330 4
- Sigma Red 1,418 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 346 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 114 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 193 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 480
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 466
- WIP Software 338
- No payroll scheme in place 291
- Is there anything wrong with this? 260
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 255
- Small Part Disposal of Property 230
- Uncommercial property business 229
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 194
- SA Penalty 183