Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Estate agents - shared commission 92 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,407 68
- MAAT vs ACCA 256 3
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 703 21
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 109 3
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 583 15
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 81 1
- Accountancy Career 254 3
- pension paid by company? 199 4
- How not to compose an email 438 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 518 17
- Managing Employee Expenses 51 1
- Tax credit deadline extended by a week 92 1
- What are options for non CA firm 3,002 64
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 73 1
- Small company audit 668 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 508 20
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 266 3
- West Bromich Albion 421 3
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 124 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 658
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 443
- Cancelled 415
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 356
- Probiz 324
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 306
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 235
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 209
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 174