Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 109 6
- client can't/won't pay 1,735 33
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 59 2
- how much to charge 221 6
- Carrying forward self employment losses 125 5
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 322 16
- Charities and VAT 126 11
- Rental losses 78 2
- EIS reinvestment relief 188 13
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 159 3
- HMRC SA system 83 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,488 53
- Company dividends 859 36
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 174 5
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 75 2
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 86 2
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 840 23
- White van man 995 30
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,388 16
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 764 28
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 897
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 594
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 563
- Latest phishing scam 517
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 368
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 336
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 274
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 193
- Capital allowances in first basis period 173
- Sabbatical payments 167