Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Redundancy pay 280 8
- Servicing AE fees 136 2
- VAT Receipts 234 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 76 2
- P800 problems again 62 1
- Company accounts for £350 931 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 387 12
- Flat Rate VAT 149 5
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,135 40
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 127 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 193 5
- Software for Accounts layout 250 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 212 6
- Debt management unit HMRC 139 1
- How to report under-declaration on next VAT100? 127 1
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 186 4
- Mandatory Capitalisation 224 3
- Practice software 1,152 16
- A different accounts production software request 200 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,551 16
- FRS 101 Software 328
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 301
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 292
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 271
- French ConnectionUK 235
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 206
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 201
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 198
- APN's 183
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 179