Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Coming in from the cold 301 3
- Splitting the tax year 150 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 181 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 159 4
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 146 2
- Submitting tax return 105 1
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 200 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 254 8
- Director's tax return 328 7
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 106 1
- Sage Payroll 313 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 206 6
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,066 33
- vat return 262 3
- Flat rate vat 151 1
- Value pricing 732 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 164 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 241 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 293 4
- Reregister for VAT 163 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 425
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 303
- Free Tax Legislation? 272
- Director Loan account operation 253
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 251
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 245
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 231
- Paye procedures for CVA 168