Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 501 19
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,605 13
- Bereavment payment 107 3
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 104 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,122 7
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 277 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 352 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,299 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 158 2
- Companies House incorporation service 355 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 83 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 156 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 197 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 215 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 275 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 146 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 157 3
- Share Capital 139 2
- Trading income or not? 204 1
- Charge HMRC 435 3
- Xtuple 550
- Qtac payroll for bureau 377
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 321
- Industrial & Provident Societies 315
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 297
- CIS schemes 225
- Domain name sale and limited company 206
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 191
- Investment 188
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 180