Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 136 3
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 123 3
- error on companies house accounts 173 5
- ACCA Accountants Report 128 1
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 197 5
- Newly Started Practice 247 6
- Commission on holiday accrual 85 1
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 164 2
- HMRC computer behind the times 215 3
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 355 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 250 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 179 2
- Generic Notification Notices 137 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 455 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 120 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 442 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 103 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 251 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 152 1
- fraud 425 1
- QROP pension input amounts 477
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 444
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 422
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 270
- EPS and CIS deductions 262
- Construction CIS LLP Company 248
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 215
- SAGE winforecast 181
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166