Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Which address 1,039 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 563 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 70 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,468 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,056 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,200 44
- R&D tax claim 248 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 523 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 178 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 129 2
- Gift to employee 373 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 163 1
- Transfer of a business 126 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,138 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 415 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 117 2
- Sage Import Data 312 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 245 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 134 2
- Best time software for small practice? 238 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 482
- CTA study material 456
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 335
- Pre incorp expenses 313
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 256
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 208
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 161
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 143
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 135