Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 93 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 477 8
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,617 16
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 225 2
- Corporation tax - group relief on 75% subsidiary 103 2
- Unpaid company directors and self employment 163 2
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 395 2
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 156 2
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 430 13
- Real names 978 32
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 283 7
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,664 10
- Best apps for clients 181 2
- Theatre as charitable company 137 3
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 299 2
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 428 12
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 339 1
- Fixed Assets 186 2
- CGT on Sale of shop 175 2
- Dividend payment date 2,050 36
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 574
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 443
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 349
- IFA incorporation 330
- Sorry ignore me 288
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 268
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 256
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 250
- Cancelled 192
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 160