Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 228 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,436 386
- P11D Query 177 5
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 167 6
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 153 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 106 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,262 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 539 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 267 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,285 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 134 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 181 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 112 1
- Scottish but not UK 331 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 294 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 265 1
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 113 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 447 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 114 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 432
- National Insurance 332
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 329
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 248
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 153