Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 391 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 126 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 83 1
- Registered Office 139 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,479 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 311 5
- Partnership Registration 100 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 902 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 104 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 682 12
- Audit Required 1,182 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 303 9
- Residential Management Companies 88 2
- Value pricing 2,852 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 396 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 391 11
- Payroll software for Mac 119 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 114 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 215 5
- CIS and Close Company 207 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 944
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 660
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 397
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 331
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 259
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 250
- Paye procedures for CVA 249
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 196
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 192
- Pension Fixed Protection 188