Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Am i Liable? 597 16
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 30 2
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 186 6
- Compensation payment and child benefit 47 2
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 180 2
- Accommodation allowance - emergency workers 77 1
- RTI 267 7
- HMRC - Generic Notification Notice 40 1
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 162 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 432 4
- RTI Easement Until 2016 98 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 379 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 364 9
- Write off of former director's loan 699 10
- Added years superannuation 101 3
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 47 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 799 19
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 338 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,079 64
- Sole trader - bank statements 258 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,255
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 619
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 322
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 231
- Alphabet shares 206
- Agent fees to sell business 197
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 196
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 146