Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Share transfer question 264 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 404 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 193 5
- New Employers Helpline 123 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 214 5
- Overlap relief 718 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,284 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 185 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 186 4
- VAT Query 180 2
- Sacked my first client 647 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 414 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 223 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,267 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 620 11
- Trades and deadlines 140 3
- How to pay national insurance 648 18
- New Website Look 1,077 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 272 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 233 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 421
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187