Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 442 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 232 5
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 44 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 152 3
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,767 13
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 34 2
- Deduction from Salary 749 21
- Company struck off 207 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,403 53
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 219 2
- Opening Balances 278 6
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 270 6
- Employment Allowance 401 7
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 361 12
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 485 9
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 370 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 282 1
- West Bromich Albion 361 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,919 61
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 446 10
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 648
- Cancelled 402
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 347
- How not to compose an email 326
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 324
- Probiz 311
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 291
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 226
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 203