Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- I do not love you 168 4
- Gift of FHL - subsequent PPR not denied? 173 1
- Limited Company 137 3
- Love is in the air 733 10
- Stamp Duty 330 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 741 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 877 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 389 5
- Paying Son 802 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 403 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 284 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,071 47
- Setting up a practice 635 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 617 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 561 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 482 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 247 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,868 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 457 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 612 13
- Foreign domicile status 307
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 302
- CGT for NOn UK residents 286
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 282
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 262
- Apprenticeship Levy 248
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 245
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 231