Tax position on Share Distribution
A Client of mine has a number of shareholders, one of which owned 200 shares (out of 1040 issued) and was no longer involved in the business. After nearly 10 years they managed to buy these shares back for £8000, which was paid by the Company.
They want to give these shares to the sole Director who currently owns 20 shares.
The share's have a nominal value of £1.00 each.
My understanding is that this gift of shares would be the equivalent of a cash payment of "net" £8000 and PAYE and NI would be payable on a grossed up figure.
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve this expensive route? We did look at cancelling and then reissuing new shares but again, my understanding is that there would be PAYE/NI liable on the difference between purchase and real value so no benifit there.
Thanks in advance
- Non VAT invoices 165 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 174 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 251 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 158 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 287 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,372 32
- Fees 187 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 246 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 206 2
- Form 17 Download 123 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 545 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 372 4
- HMRC Information notice 988 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 273 3
- Accountant Specialization. 379 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,753 42
- Sage Line 50 174 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 195 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 456 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 402 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 364
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 205
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 184
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178