Friend of mine used to run a fried chicken takeaway had a inspection of his book for the pasy year.
His staff used to buy stuff from his supplier contacts using his account number, as he never used to receive statements from them (although he was aware of this) he did not know how much were these private purchases, the HMRC now claims that all the purchases were his business use and therefore uplifted the sales and therefore would lead to potential VAT liability.
but he is determined to stick to that these purchases were not for his business (he obtained letters from his previous staff, admitting that they were used but stuff from suppliers using his name to take advantage of the special offers etc.
Will HMRC accept this?
any comments will be appreciated.
thanks for your time
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 482 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 508 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 26 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 82 7
- Personal pension 378 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 202 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,183 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 871 27
- Cocaine anyone? 347 5
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 86 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,492 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 300 4
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 272 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 356 11
- Tax return software for remote working 500 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 602 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 467 9
- How to purchase business premises? 200 2
- Will I need to resign? 874 10
- Childcare vouchers 216 3
- Hive up 478
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 441
- corporate hierarchy 419
- Advice - 253
- Amortisation of Goodwill 228
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 214
- WWOOFers 207
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 196
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 185
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 161