My friend came over from the US during the tax year 2007-08 and left the UK for the US in the tax year 2008-08. Unfortunately, in 2007/08 he was put on the wrong tax code and overpaid around 5K in tax.
He left the UK suddenly after being accused of misconduct and resigned with immediate affect. The next two years he went into depression related to his experience in the UK and was not working.
He was unaware of a tax refund until a chance call with myself back in April this year. He subsequently sent a letter to HMRC asking for a refund but HMRC refused saying it was outside the time limits. He did not explain the circumstances on why he did not claim the refund which was partly due to his state of mind and ignorance.
Have you come accross any cases where HMRC has granted a refund even though it had passed the time limits. I would appreciate any advice
- Creative Auto Enrolment 659 10
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,007 33
- self employed losses 65 1
- Unpaid fees 365 9
- Vat payable on van 283 2
- Accounting for corporation tax 534 13
- AccountingWEB survey 284 2
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 578 12
- Change PAYE agent address 121 1
- Account and Taxable Profit 539 22
- Save QCD's 310 6
- Tax Calculations 746 11
- Bankstream 1,204 28
- Disengagement Help! 1,248 19
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 121 1
- Probate services 583 18
- Cash gift from India 427 12
- Corporation Tax releif for stolen "Bond" 135 1
- Stamp Duty Land Tax changes 129 2
- loan for one of the associated companies 185 9