I am a Spanish lawyer based in Marbella hence Spanish tax resident. I am also a UK Solicitor and since August 2010 a UK Notary Public. Only since July 2012 I have started practicing as a a sole practitioner Notary and have started invoicing (modest amounts as it is just the beginning).
I tried to apply for a NI number in September 2012 but my application was refused as they said I had not demonstrated my activity. Obviously as a sole practitioner, I have no employment contract.
I spend in Spain most of my time and my main source of income is in Spain, my wife and children also live in Spain but I fly to the UK approximately one week every month to attend my UK clients and I do not envisaging spending more time in the UK.
I am unsure whether according to the UK-Spain Double Tax Treaty, I effectively need to declare my UK income in the UK and eventually pay taxes there ,which may however be the case (section 14).
Just in case, I have booked another appointment on 11th February to be assigned an NI number as I understand the financial year ends 31st March and I trust that I will now have more evidence to prove my activity and albeit modest, some income.
I would be thankful if you would can help me out with this case :)
VAT - Is Non Established UK business rule will be applied to me and do i have to register for VAT in UK?
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 132 4
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 158 2
- Next Move 694 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 136 2
- Self-assessment statistics 2,451 58
- Not renewing AAT 663 9
- CGT of shares gifted 373 6
- New dividend taxation 455 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,778 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 141 1
- Company car v company allowance 263 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 436 9
- Company formation and bank account 416 9
- Owning overseas property 327 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 289 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 261 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 706 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 702 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 262 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 432 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 666
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 397
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 393
- 2015 tax year end 392
- FCA regulated company in a small group 346
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 318
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 239
- DTA tie-breaker issue 210
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204