I am a Spanish lawyer based in Marbella hence Spanish tax resident. I am also a UK Solicitor and since August 2010 a UK Notary Public. Only since July 2012 I have started practicing as a a sole practitioner Notary and have started invoicing (modest amounts as it is just the beginning).
I tried to apply for a NI number in September 2012 but my application was refused as they said I had not demonstrated my activity. Obviously as a sole practitioner, I have no employment contract.
I spend in Spain most of my time and my main source of income is in Spain, my wife and children also live in Spain but I fly to the UK approximately one week every month to attend my UK clients and I do not envisaging spending more time in the UK.
I am unsure whether according to the UK-Spain Double Tax Treaty, I effectively need to declare my UK income in the UK and eventually pay taxes there ,which may however be the case (section 14).
Just in case, I have booked another appointment on 11th February to be assigned an NI number as I understand the financial year ends 31st March and I trust that I will now have more evidence to prove my activity and albeit modest, some income.
I would be thankful if you would can help me out with this case :)
VAT - Is Non Established UK business rule will be applied to me and do i have to register for VAT in UK?
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 408 14
- Paper tax return 43 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,317 41
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 216 3
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 144 1
- AIA or IFA 407 7
- Surely not? 405 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 619 9
- Start up allowance? 319 10
- Running two businesses from the same premises 343 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 343 7
- Late Registration for VAT 344 11
- Old CGT loss 165 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 255 5
- Nominal Ledger 330 10
- Share structures 131 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,138 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 334 5
- Business rates consultancy 212 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 175 4
- TheTax Donut 1,049
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 687
- Follower cases 494
- Limited company purchase of property 434
- Hive up 430
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 398
- corporate hierarchy 390
- LIVE chat, starting now 348
- Advice - 197
- Amortisation of Goodwill 184