I am a Spanish lawyer based in Marbella hence Spanish tax resident. I am also a UK Solicitor and since August 2010 a UK Notary Public. Only since July 2012 I have started practicing as a a sole practitioner Notary and have started invoicing (modest amounts as it is just the beginning).
I tried to apply for a NI number in September 2012 but my application was refused as they said I had not demonstrated my activity. Obviously as a sole practitioner, I have no employment contract.
I spend in Spain most of my time and my main source of income is in Spain, my wife and children also live in Spain but I fly to the UK approximately one week every month to attend my UK clients and I do not envisaging spending more time in the UK.
I am unsure whether according to the UK-Spain Double Tax Treaty, I effectively need to declare my UK income in the UK and eventually pay taxes there ,which may however be the case (section 14).
Just in case, I have booked another appointment on 11th February to be assigned an NI number as I understand the financial year ends 31st March and I trust that I will now have more evidence to prove my activity and albeit modest, some income.
I would be thankful if you would can help me out with this case :)
VAT - Is Non Established UK business rule will be applied to me and do i have to register for VAT in UK?
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 157 8
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 182 3
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 23 1
- Income tax exemption on woodlands 114 4
- Samadian what does it mean 460 9
- Excessive Security 697 30
- R & D 57 2
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 447 9
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 122 2
- Tax rebate under PAYE, no p60? 144 5
- Tax return 161 4
- Associations tax regime for Saturday school 516 6
- Fee protection 284 9
- Long Term Contracts 136 3
- Standard P&L format - Companies Act 2006 84 2
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 668 15
- Generic PAYE notices 247 6
- Ltd company or sole trader 285 9
- Cross Border VAT Reclaims 199 5
- LLP classification of division of profit 150 4
- Xtuple 483
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 264
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 205
- Mehjoo 204
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 172
- New strategic report 161
- Domain name sale and limited company 144
- South African Government Pension 141