I am a Spanish lawyer based in Marbella hence Spanish tax resident. I am also a UK Solicitor and since August 2010 a UK Notary Public. Only since July 2012 I have started practicing as a a sole practitioner Notary and have started invoicing (modest amounts as it is just the beginning).
I tried to apply for a NI number in September 2012 but my application was refused as they said I had not demonstrated my activity. Obviously as a sole practitioner, I have no employment contract.
I spend in Spain most of my time and my main source of income is in Spain, my wife and children also live in Spain but I fly to the UK approximately one week every month to attend my UK clients and I do not envisaging spending more time in the UK.
I am unsure whether according to the UK-Spain Double Tax Treaty, I effectively need to declare my UK income in the UK and eventually pay taxes there ,which may however be the case (section 14).
Just in case, I have booked another appointment on 11th February to be assigned an NI number as I understand the financial year ends 31st March and I trust that I will now have more evidence to prove my activity and albeit modest, some income.
I would be thankful if you would can help me out with this case :)
VAT - Is Non Established UK business rule will be applied to me and do i have to register for VAT in UK?
- Accountants' Error 816 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 321 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 210 6
- Shareholder agreement 216 5
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 147 3
- VAT - time of supply 65 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 322 3
- Top slicing relief question 104 1
- Let Property Campaign & DO2 100 1
- Regaining my qualification 300 3
- Scoot 253 5
- Remittances 126 1
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 117 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 228 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 148 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,532 21
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 175 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 180 3
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 183 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 244 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,461
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 779
- Any views 710
- HMRC Employers Diary 528
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 266
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 257