I am a Spanish lawyer based in Marbella hence Spanish tax resident. I am also a UK Solicitor and since August 2010 a UK Notary Public. Only since July 2012 I have started practicing as a a sole practitioner Notary and have started invoicing (modest amounts as it is just the beginning).
I tried to apply for a NI number in September 2012 but my application was refused as they said I had not demonstrated my activity. Obviously as a sole practitioner, I have no employment contract.
I spend in Spain most of my time and my main source of income is in Spain, my wife and children also live in Spain but I fly to the UK approximately one week every month to attend my UK clients and I do not envisaging spending more time in the UK.
I am unsure whether according to the UK-Spain Double Tax Treaty, I effectively need to declare my UK income in the UK and eventually pay taxes there ,which may however be the case (section 14).
Just in case, I have booked another appointment on 11th February to be assigned an NI number as I understand the financial year ends 31st March and I trust that I will now have more evidence to prove my activity and albeit modest, some income.
I would be thankful if you would can help me out with this case :)
VAT - Is Non Established UK business rule will be applied to me and do i have to register for VAT in UK?
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 61 2
- Help 112 9
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 190 9
- Where has Portia gone? 5,017 109
- Overlap profit 289 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 314 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,057 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 110 1
- Payments on account 169 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 62 1
- What do your junior staff do? 520 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 642 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 408 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 531 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 127 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,936 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 342 3
- On the high seas 111 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 145 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 856 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 852
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 444
- Sanzar 339
- How do you do it 336
- Digital marketing focus group 310
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 295
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 206
- Fit for purpose 202
- new investor structure 197
- VAT Registration 180