Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Commission on holiday accrual 60 1
- error on companies house accounts 107 4
- Newly Started Practice 173 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 155 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 181 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 187 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 82 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 92 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 346 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 225 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 167 2
- Generic Notification Notices 123 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 445 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 113 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 435 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 91 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 243 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 144 1
- fraud 416 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 240 3
- QROP pension input amounts 475
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 416
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 266
- EPS and CIS deductions 260
- Construction CIS LLP Company 246
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 213
- SAGE winforecast 179
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166