Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Class of Shares 162 4
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,207 48
- Contact at HMRC for agents 47 1
- Offshore bond assigned to UK discretionary trust 107 6
- Cut-off accounting question 207 9
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 448 10
- What would you do? 548 5
- Depreciation on purchase of software 348 5
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 587 23
- exemptions from CIS 45 1
- Auto Enrolment 171 4
- account in joint names - gift? 74 1
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 219 8
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 101 2
- statutory maternity pay 124 3
- VAT & Offshore Companies 285 8
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 438 9
- Freelance/Employee 247 7
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,222 12
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 219 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 385
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 339
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 321
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 304
- Electric Car 258
- S222 Charge 224
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 218
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 208
- Company Structure 199
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 166