Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 520 17
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 322 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 745 9
- No Contact From Client - When to Disengage? 372 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 826 12
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 257 6
- Car benefit or not? 1,442 17
- Associate Dentist SD86 much higher than deductions 145 1
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 456 9
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 474 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 234 6
- Auto Enrolment 134 1
- Not renewing AAT 887 11
- Company ceased trading 159 4
- Questions from Liquidator 2,142 22
- Casual Driver 421 6
- Email encryption 1,475 16
- New dividend taxation 760 4
- Another question on trusts and settlements 92 1
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,327 25
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 688
- Property letting & CAs 417
- 2015 tax year end 414
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 401
- FCA regulated company in a small group 356
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 332
- Costly Accounting Software contract 272
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 245
- Directors' advances and credits 231
- DTA tie-breaker issue 231