Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Mehjoo 305 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 57 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 322 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 183 4
- SA302 314 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 284 13
- Bringing money to Uk 275 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 279 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 205 4
- Go Cardless 351 9
- Hmrc software 242 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 145 1
- Hosted email exchange 182 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 313 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 315 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 250 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 156 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 301 7
- New Email Extensions 219 1
- Xtuple 514
- Qtac payroll for bureau 354
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 297
- Industrial & Provident Societies 290
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 229
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 197
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 194
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 172
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 148