Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- VAT on Pub purchase 96 1
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 216 7
- Clever way to split cells? 104 4
- Legal fees for revalued asset 30 1
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 217 9
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 178 3
- VAT Option to tax 528 19
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 155 4
- Director Loan account operation 436 2
- Giving advice to friends / family 224 3
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 500 16
- Tax implications of soletrader gifting money 81 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 239 5
- Business travel apps 193 4
- Clarify the tax position 135 2
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 378 5
- Free Tax Legislation? 436 1
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 377 3
- Foreign national, UK resident 139 1
- Director leaving in month 1 263 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 919
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 646
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 358
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 325
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 225
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 202
- Pension Fixed Protection 164
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 163
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 162