Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Sole trader hid directorships. 283 5
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,292 43
- Regional Development Grant 55 3
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,221 21
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 40 1
- Company car without a salary 150 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 347 10
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 243 9
- Charity donations 1,006 21
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 316 13
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 547 11
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 122 2
- VAT on finance leases 179 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 571 10
- CONVERSION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 284 6
- Second Incomes Campaign 251 3
- Goods Purchased for Rental 697 34
- Professional Clearance 1,622 24
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 313 4
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 476 6
- NOVA 502
- Bonus Bonds 386
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 373
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 283
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 253
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 178
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 163
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 145