Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Online filing 20 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 265 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 95 4
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 124 6
- Auto enrolment 357 6
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 307 3
- Share swap 250 6
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 90 1
- Threshold for RTI submission 53 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 163 2
- Was I rude 562 16
- Top slicing relief question no 2 134 3
- Maternity Pay 137 2
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 577 14
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 626 10
- Recording VAT refund and payment on Sage 50 59 1
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,722 27
- Director's minimum wage? 239 4
- Advertising services? 307 1
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 312 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,472
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 801
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 438
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 410
- Sale of business 377
- NOVA 276
- IRIS Open Books problem 272
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 187
- Expenses claim for non employee 177