Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Dividend in specie 340 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 191 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 153 3
- Cash basis 456 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 130 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 261 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 285 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 148 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 316 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,842 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 320 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 230 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 87 1
- Investor exit 188 3
- Partially exempt? 364 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 147 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 406 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,283 22
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 396 4
- Statutory sick pay 256 3
- Skandia using wrong address 560
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 304
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 301
- Employee rewards 283
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 239
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 222
- Etax Australian 181
- LLP in Construction Industry 146
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 128
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 126