Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 36 2
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,073 45
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 61 2
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 385 19
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 532 16
- Employing a carer 179 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,150 496
- Non resident client -employed in the Cayman Islands 98 1
- "Please be advised that one or more Generic Notification Notices have been issued." 80 3
- Which profit figure to use 61 1
- rti 112 4
- Drop box Storage 374 5
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 154 2
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 248 7
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 135 4
- RTI -Late registration -any penalties 130 1
- Another goodwill question ....... 156 1
- Can't read my handwriting 727 18
- Fees for Property Tax Return 599 21
- Sole trader &/or Limited company 102 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,380
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 526
- National Insurance 428
- Non Resident 323
- Hands on experience of Digita 248
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 234
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Employer's Helpline 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 154
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 153