Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 491 5
- See you all on the other side 625 6
- 12Pay 349 2
- dividends 480 2
- R&D 270 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,134 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 412 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 350 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 298 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 510 5
- Seeking a tax case 583 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 442 4
- Companies house strike off 429 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 342 2
- Moving to the cloud 708 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 204 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 860 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 190 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,072 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 458 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 544
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 411
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 342
- Capitalising Finance Lease 308
- USA help 305
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 279
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 273
- Capital gains on rental property 251
- Sage Coretime 228