Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Wrong career 445 18
- Would this save hours of your time? 399 10
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 182 4
- Value pricing 652 21
- Director's tax return 215 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 126 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 253 7
- Laptop purchase 1,370 20
- PTP software disaster 243 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 168 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 214 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 94 2
- Tricky VAT question 165 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 107 2
- VT accounts licence key 252 5
- Weely paid employees 217 2
- Splitting the tax year 94 1
- FPS Submission 147 2
- non resident receiving UK dividends 210 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 140 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 792
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 546
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 412
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 259
- Director Loan account operation 239
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159