Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Director Drawings 98 5
- Accounts Software 50 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,663 38
- Help with HMRC investigation 176 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 246 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 198 7
- HMRC Agents Line 164 3
- Collection or business assets 81 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 241 8
- Company Director In Prison 406 10
- Tax position re this lease? 360 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 698 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 92 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,647 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 79 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 332 5
- AWeb - download file 136 2
- pension paid by company? 329 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 749 17
- Late annual return 129 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 509
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 199