Tax Return for 2011 just received
I wonder if anyone can advise me on what is happening with the HMRC. For info I haven't need to do complete a tax return for the past 7 years due to be a lower rate taxpayer.
Early last year I received 2 P800 notices for the years 2008/09 and 2009/10. These were raised due to my work related expenses being included on my P11D's by my employer who didn't have the necessary dispensations to exclude them.
I wrote to HMRC explaining the amounts in the P800s were for airfares/hotel bills etc which I incurred wholly in respect of my job and there was therefore a corresponding expense for these. In this letter I also asked them to let me know what I needed to do to have the P800s amended or withdrawn. This letter was sent by registered post last April 2011 time and I checked the tracking at the time to make sure it had been received. Further to my letter I had no reply to HMRC, so sent a follow up letter around June 2011 to which I also had no reply.
Two weeks ago I received a letter from HMRC (the first since their letter from April last year) stating that I hadn't replied to them re the P800s and owed them the amounts specified on them, payment to be made by 24 September.
I again wrote to them last pretty much stating what the previous 2 letter from me had said and also including copes of those letters for there info.
Today I received a paper copy of a blank self assessment tax return for 2011, it is just the form with my name, address, reference etc manually completed, together with a blank employment notes form. There was no cover letter or explanation included with the forms.
Can anyone throw some light on what is happening? I assume the tax return has been sent due my letter of last week but I don't understand why I have been sent a tax return to complete for 2011 when the P800s relate to 2009 and 2010. Also is it normal for HMRC to send a tax return for completion 18 months after the relevant year end?
Thanks in advance
- Tech Champion of the Year 78 3
- equipment rental 150 7
- Separate trades advice for sole trader 49 1
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 764 5
- What is wrong with HMRC? 422 5
- Non-resident employer & employee 51 2
- Entrepeneurs Relief 120 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,300 65
- Boffin of the Year 547 17
- Non sequitur 423 5
- Glass-half-full member of the year? 369 13
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 699 3
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 114 3
- Vat on digital download of music 58 1
- Help needed.... 146 2
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 111 1
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 469 7
- Freight Forwarders - VAT 131 4
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 387 6
- HMRC website error 193 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,337
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 428
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 345
- Alphabet shares 229
- Agent fees to sell business 224
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 217
- Office recharges 175
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 160
- Charge out rates in London 154
- which entity 145