Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 34 1
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,144 10
- flat rate scheme 423 9
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,377 39
- Rental Expenses 216 7
- Defer,Accrue & Wip 227 7
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 216 7
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 345 2
- UK tax exposure 262 4
- regulated mortgage work? 145 2
- any help? 266 4
- HMRC turning post around in 11 - 12 weeks? 343 8
- Companies House? 266 3
- Echosign mail merge? 297 1
- Before I call employers helpline 259 1
- VAT refund 423 4
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 245 3
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 229 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 585 6
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 305 2