Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Cafe Question 29 1
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 57 2
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 69 4
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,121 44
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 382 13
- Company dividends 577 16
- UK LTD Company to start working in Norway 56 1
- Adding shop sales to sage 86 4
- What does the "K" signify 254 6
- Self assesment online 97 1
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 312 2
- Dividend amount for company where tax year doesnt go to 31st March 121 3
- Interest Relief 113 3
- Entrepreneurs' relief 454 1
- Amend tax return? 163 3
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 717 26
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 362 7
- Tax on devidend in my company who is employee in other company 180 4
- client can't/won't pay 1,669 30
- calculate mortgage interest 394 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 888
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 587
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 550
- Latest phishing scam 486
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 361
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 330
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 256
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 253
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 177
- Capital allowances in first basis period 163