Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 704 21
- Year end 201 3
- tax credits 173 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 979 16
- Foreign income for self employed 150 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 276 9
- LLP - Member leaving 163 6
- what time is it ? 139 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 278 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,074 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 232 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 585 21
- How would you account for warranty? 167 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 407 22
- Sweet Tooth 208 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 188 2
- trading or dormant 127 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 144 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 577 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 281 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 883
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 520
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 247
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 243
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 170