Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,541 89
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 789 7
- HMRC Summons for £14k 205 2
- BrightPay 977 28
- Goodie bag 2,804 72
- Corporation Tax Software 312 9
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 68 1
- How many associated companies 134 2
- How do I save face? 1,876 14
- BIK for an electric car 95 1
- Signed accounts for a lender 389 17
- can I approach clients ? 825 11
- Regular Director bonus 271 5
- Secure document exchange 573 6
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 125 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 566 9
- FreeAgent question 313 8
- Mortgage interest 102 1
- Practising options 492 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 452 10
- Possible Partnership? 678
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 530
- Fuming! 470
- New Fangled Penalties 463
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 329
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 271
- Moving away from CCH software 254
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 249
- Outsource Data Entry 249
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 199