Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Recommendations for online payroll software 180 1
- . 165 1
- Accountant Specialization. 248 2
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 225 4
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 157 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 158 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 435 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 83 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 592 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 675 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 117 2
- Freelance/Employee 633 15
- Agent Authorisation Issue 179 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 324 6
- Is it just me ... 275 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 281 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 113 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 344 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 222 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,531 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 745
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 353
- Electric Car 288
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 183
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 171
- AIA 166
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 163