Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Very large share capital by mistake 222 2
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 274 2
- Client Paperwork Retention? 517 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 546 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 286 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 311 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 366 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 414 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,977 45
- Love is in the air 337 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,703 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 241 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 408 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 251 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 522 1
- Paying Son 664 18
- HMRC accounting 396 3
- Employers NI allowance 467 6
- Dividend taxation 399 3
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 189 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 278
- CGT for NOn UK residents 276
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 269
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 210
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 189