Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 774 19
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 934 53
- Go Cardless 244 8
- business entertaining deductibility 98 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 92 2
- R & D 93 3
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 214 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 62 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 100 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 133 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 118 1
- New Business Registration 206 5
- Audit rules 132 3
- Hosted email exchange 119 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 137 1
- G P life time allowance 107 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 364 11
- Bringing money to Uk 209 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 123 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 107 2
- Xtuple 499
- Qtac payroll for bureau 332
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 276
- Industrial & Provident Societies 273
- Mehjoo 217
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 215
- New strategic report 168
- Domain name sale and limited company 154
- South African Government Pension 148
- CIS schemes 143