Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 405 14
- Paper tax return 39 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,317 41
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 214 3
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 141 1
- AIA or IFA 407 7
- Surely not? 404 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 619 9
- Start up allowance? 319 10
- Running two businesses from the same premises 342 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 342 7
- Late Registration for VAT 343 11
- Old CGT loss 165 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 254 5
- Nominal Ledger 330 10
- Share structures 131 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,138 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 333 5
- Business rates consultancy 212 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 175 4