Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Feedback on Kashflow and VAT 32 1
- Sage reporting 35 2
- CGT on second home? 17 1
- Myfirmsapp 672 16
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 58 2
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 834 29
- BTC Software 107 4
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 475 12
- Taxfiler V's BTC 661 25
- Directors loan accounts 120 4
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,156 17
- New Practice 242 14
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 143 3
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 261 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 540 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 103 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,999 25
- Valuation of business 316 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 173 7
- Dividend Payments 429 10
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 589
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 516
- NOVA 472
- Bonus Bonds 357
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 337
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 230
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 224
- Quickbooks 2015 152