Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 67 5
- Payroo Employer allowance query 224 7
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 400 9
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 192 6
- Enforcing A CCJ 341 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 83 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 163 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 285 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 117 2
- Director's tax return 379 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 169 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,109 34
- Flat rate vat 204 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 185 5
- Coming in from the cold 362 3
- Splitting the tax year 176 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 212 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 182 4
- Submitting tax return 209 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 273 8
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 810
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 559
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 428
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 310
- Free Tax Legislation? 283
- Director Loan account operation 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 251
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 171