Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Residential Management Companies 39 2
- Value pricing 2,821 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 365 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 352 11
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 811 34
- Payroll software for Mac 100 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 76 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 205 5
- CIS and Close Company 188 6
- LLP members share of profits 618 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 414 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 127 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 82 1
- Registered Office 78 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 99 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 286 7
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 533 17
- 64-8 on paper or online? 100 2
- Management fees agreement 158 4
- Marginal rate relief not given on loss carry back 81 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 932
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 657
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 384
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 252
- Paye procedures for CVA 241
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 238
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 183
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 179
- Pension Fixed Protection 179