Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Pre- trading Expenses 66 1
- IRIS Practice Management 122 1
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 225 7
- Was I rude 763 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 173 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 162 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 295 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 234 1
- Top slicing relief question 228 2
- Valuation of PET on death 107 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 262 6
- Share swap 289 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 86 1
- Online filing 152 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 328 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,708 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 105 2
- Converting a barn for business use 97 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 239 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 125 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,477
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 810
- Any views 728
- International interest certificate 445
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 418
- Sale of business 388
- NOVA 282
- IRIS Open Books problem 280
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 197
- Expenses claim for non employee 187