Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,345 421
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 27 3
- corp tax software 272 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 162 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 99 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 539 24
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 959 48
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 331 16
- Is this fraud? 538 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 78 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 269 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 75 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 157 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 149 1
- Naming new company 312 6
- Saying goodbye 552 14
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 199 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 652 5
- Pension Contributions Relief 398 12
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 94 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,285
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 457
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 267
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 159
- Employer's Helpline 153
- employment capital allowances 144