Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- are we that stupid 928 21
- rental property, pre letting costs 116 1
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 108 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 736 13
- letter of reference 177 3
- Software for Accounts layout 364 7
- Non-resident company director 80 1
- Can this be done? 174 1
- Staff 87 2
- Capital Allowance & AIA 104 1
- Foster Care 109 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 345 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 95 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 299 3
- Flat Management Company 207 1
- Share structure questions - close company 187 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 176 4
- Income prior to company formation 341 9
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 341 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 137 1
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 330
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 250
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 217
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 217
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 159
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 152
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 152
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148