Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 424 12
- CGT history of shares 177 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 141 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 178 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 335 6
- CGT on sale of let property 116 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 181 2
- how do i get UTR 145 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 90 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 238 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 135 1
- Your comments please 314 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 193 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 130 2
- EIS 198 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 132 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 115 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 128 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 728 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 207 1
- Moving away from CCH software 969
- QROP pension input amounts 453
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 398
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 383
- fraud 306
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 283
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 246
- Construction CIS LLP Company 231
- EPS and CIS deductions 224
- Out of time or not? 211