Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Cash gift from India 323 11
- Claiming for breach of contract 84 2
- loan for one of the associated companies 81 7
- US resident trading in UK 103 2
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,057 19
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 472 8
- Probate services 472 11
- CIMA CBA or AAT 46 2
- Account and Taxable Profit 431 20
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 236 6
- Stamp Duty Land Tax changes 61 1
- Class 2 NIC 361 6
- Windows10 284 6
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 182 1
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,795 39
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,867 43
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 282 4
- Accounting for corporation tax 363 8
- Sole trader registering for the first time 361 1
- Creative Auto Enrolment 615 8