Is a tax return needed for this small amount?
My mum used to be PAYE. She is now retired & jointly owns a property with my dad.
Her state pension is taxed at source.
The only other income she has is from the property, which I have worked out would be £257 tax owed in the 2011/12 tax year.
Does she need to register for SA and complete a tax return for this small amount? I have read the HMRC guidance which states you only need to do SA if your income from property is £2500 after allowable expenses (her share of the property income is £1285.32).
I can't believe that HMRC wouldn't want the £257 tax owed???! Can anyone enlighten me?
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 178 12
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 436 9
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 87 6
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 269 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 93 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 518 5
- Limited company buying a car 104 3
- ACCA practice certificates 478 5
- Limited company buying director's car 273 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 58 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 62 1
- WC's and capital allowances 166 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 292 13
- Dress code 1,532 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 473 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 247 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 366 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 466 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 165 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 98 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 475
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 387
- Employment related securities question 306
- AIM Stocks and IHT 278
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 256
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 166
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 146