Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- letter of reference 216 4
- Staff 203 4
- Software for Accounts layout 396 8
- Income prior to company formation 367 10
- rental property, pre letting costs 171 4
- VAT on farm machinery sold 369 7
- Non-resident company director 116 2
- are we that stupid 971 21
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 168 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 746 13
- Can this be done? 201 1
- Capital Allowance & AIA 138 1
- Foster Care 141 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 355 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 110 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 313 3
- Flat Management Company 222 1
- Share structure questions - close company 198 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 184 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 353 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 331
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 268
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 252
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 218
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 218
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 163
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 156
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 155
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 149