Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- Providing registered office address to clients 131 2
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 128 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 765 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 411 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,457 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 188 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 477 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 142 3
- What would you do in this situation? 230 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 159 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 630 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 660 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 120 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 358 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 258 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 225 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 430 6
- NOVA 560 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 291 10
- Regional Development Grant 139 4
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 387
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 300
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 263
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 198
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 191
- Company Car Lease 170
- Finance Lease 161
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 135