Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 267 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 392 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 165 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,117 13
- Really?! 825 10
- CIS 221 5
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,182 16
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,375 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 650 15
- VAT 701/49 query 227 2
- backpack 312 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 175 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 258 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 350 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 199 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 177 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 197 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 144 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 257 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 468 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 706
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 416
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 358
- Costly Accounting Software contract 314
- Directors' advances and credits 255
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 255
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 222
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203