Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- Property sale split between years 251 10
- Capital introduction 203 6
- CIS Deductions 309 9
- Inheritance Tax Advice 217 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 162 8
- Final accounts - procedure 96 1
- Accountex flash mob 266 7
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,204 28
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 234 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 356 10
- Group structure - transfer of shares 67 2
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 173 3
- Cycle to work 123 1
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 759 17
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 150 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,288 36
- Direct payment schene 124 4
- Employment Allowance 104 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 239 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,156 37
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 644
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 407
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 330
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 325
- Using the correct forms 300
- SA penalty proposals 298
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 282
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 194