Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- AWeb - download file 148 3
- Charity work 223 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 218 6
- Director Drawings 123 5
- Accounts Software 79 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,669 38
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 253 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 215 7
- HMRC Agents Line 175 3
- Collection or business assets 91 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 257 8
- Company Director In Prison 420 10
- Tax position re this lease? 366 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 713 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 98 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,665 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 87 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 342 5
- pension paid by company? 331 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 758 17
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 512
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 201