Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- Employee steeling client data 79 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,348 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 188 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 126 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 88 1
- CT600 268 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 205 4
- signature required 909 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 177 1
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 462 13
- Community awards 2014 - first category 175 6
- Can you help me spot errors? 330 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 328 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 132 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 85 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 147 2
- Payment plans for clients 273 3
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 91 1
- Lease 145 4
- Free invoicing software 506 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,307
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 547
- Credit where credit's due....... 339
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 261
- TheTax Donut 229
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 187
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 180
- Director's business mileage 149
- Sole trader CPD 145