Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- Xerocon 2016 1,011 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,188 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 218 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 228 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 585 12
- Personal Tax 484 11
- USA Tax Query 157 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,659 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 944 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 277 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 597 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 348 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 404 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 167 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 320 4
- last minute request 507 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,253 46