Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- Directors bonus 83 1
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 161 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 117 3
- break even point 1,094 33
- The return 711 27
- Sell business after leaving country 317 6
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 63 1
- IHT Query 389 8
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 86 2
- Charity accounting 61 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 990 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 146 2
- Get it off your chest 152 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 135 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 351 2
- Limited Company trading status. 325 8
- Payroll 179 6
- Classic cars investment 509 14
- Vat registration 172 5
- VAT ON MAINTENANCE PROVIDED TO ESTATE AGENT 104 3
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 545
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 346
- Clubs and Taxable Income 286
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 269
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 205
- Outsource Data Entry 172
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172