Tax return for a taxi driver
I volunteered to help a taxi driver with his tax return. It has been a while since i did an incomplete records job so I am looking for help.
He started in feb this year and prior to that he was employed as a courier.
I foresee the following potential problems
- he didn't get a p45 or p60 from his previous employer and they keep saying they have sent it. He has only some pay slips. Can he get a copy from hmrc?
- all his takings are cash, he says he has records but I am not sure how good they will be. How best to calculate his income?
- he has receipts for petrol, car and radio hire but not things like parking, mobile phone and car wash. Is it ok to put reasonable estimates in for those items with no receipts?
Any advice and tips on how to deal with a client with incomplete records would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- Unpaid share capital 145 2
- 64-8 problems 190 3
- Allocation of income from property 479 13
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 260 7
- Bad debt receipt for dissolved company 88 1
- flat rate scheme 1,637 36
- Private company division 238 3
- VAT Refunds 100 2
- Company van paid by director 272 3
- Hello 272 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,787 51
- Inputting previous months data into PAYE tools 190 4
- Employer reference not recognised? 169 2
- Business trips - director and family 289 2
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 445 10
- Networking 750 6
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 803 10
- VAT refund for DIY house builders 159 1
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 1,135 22
- bookkeeping system 397 5