Tax on trust property
In 2004 a client and his daughter (A) loaned a friend (B) £110,000 to buy a property which cost £120,000.Shortly afterwards A and B drew up a Declaration of Trust. it stated that B as trustee should hold the property for life. He lived there and was resposible for all running costs of the property. He spent about £40,000 on improvements.He paid no rent or interest to A. B also agreed that on his death to leave his share in the net proceeds of the property to A . His Will included this. The trust deed further stated that B would hold the property upon trust to sell the same and stand possessed of the net proceeds of sale upon trust and for himself and A as tenants in common in the following shares - A 70% and B 30%. B has now died and A has taken full ownership of the property and wishes to sell it for about £220,000. .Does anyone have any thoughts on the tax implications for my client?
I think he has received 30% X £220,000 under the Will so free of tax. The 70% X £220,000 = £154,000 could be treated as a disposal with £110,000 as a deductible cost giving a gain of £44,000. However would it be my client or the trust that is taxable?
any comments would be appreciated.
- Xerocon 2016 1,013 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,188 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 223 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 234 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 589 12
- Personal Tax 488 11
- USA Tax Query 163 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,660 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 944 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 283 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 600 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 349 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 408 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 172 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 326 4
- last minute request 512 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,254 46