Taxed twice? Incorporation
Hi - farming partnership considering incorporating fully or maybe just putting in the plant & machinery to form a company that would do the 'farm work'.
The sale of the plant & machinery would crystallise a gain for CGT albeit at 10% re entrepreneur's relief and as is usually the case the 'purchase' price would become a directors loan in the company.
Am I right in thinking that if any of the directors then dies fairly soon into the formation of the company then IHT becomes due on the 'directors loan'? - Effectively surely the same money being taxed twice?
Suppose you would cover this potential libility off by buying some term / reducing term assurance on each of the director's lives (altho age / health of 1 of the directors could make cost of policy prohibitive.
Also - if the land is held outside the company presume that a formal tenancy req'd to maintain APR relief.
But again looking at IHT if one of the directors were to die within the 7 years that the company should have 'ownership' of the land & or the 2 years 'occupation' of the land then would there be implications for APR - suppose I am asking here the wisdom in doing anything which may involve IHT ivo the health of 1 of 'them' not being particularly robust.
Many thanks in advance for comments!
- equipment rental 111 4
- Boffin of the Year 391 14
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 208 5
- Fixed asset registers 46 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 234 4
- Self Assessment requirements for lady from Canada 108 1
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 122 2
- Non sequitur 311 3
- Pattern for CTA 261 6
- PAYE versus Dividends 201 4
- Employee or partner 84 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 193 5
- The Cotter Case 208 2
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 202 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 953 16
- Sole Trader business 159 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 163 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 151 1
- Giving a seminar 692 36
- Tax position on lease extension 185 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,311
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 646
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 336
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 266
- Alphabet shares 224
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 157