We have a client who runs a taxi operation. They own the cars and pay for all running costs.
They pay the drivers a share of the takings.
Say, the driver earns £1000 a week. They would say give the driver £400 and keep £600.
Now, as the drivers are not VAT registered they are taking that £600 and applying 20% VAT to it and paying the £120 over to the treasury.
Is this right or should the money be treated as received gross and then they should divide it by 6.
If it's 20% then it seems to be they are being unfairly penalised as they've never received the VAT.
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 22 1
- New Business Registration 186 5
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 36 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 763 46
- Audit rules 118 3
- Hosted email exchange 96 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 107 1
- Go Cardless 181 5
- G P life time allowance 86 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 342 11
- Bringing money to Uk 186 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 91 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 100 2
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 183 5
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 552 11
- SA302 124 2
- Can customer claim VAT on contractor cash purchases. 141 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 107 2
- VAT REGISTRATION TRANSFER 86 2
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 183 6
- Xtuple 490
- Qtac payroll for bureau 330
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 274
- Industrial & Provident Societies 268
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 212
- Mehjoo 210
- New strategic report 166
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 154
- Domain name sale and limited company 149
- South African Government Pension 145