Taxpayers address - IT Contractor
I have an IT contractor client whose primary residence is at his house outside of London but he rents a flat in London purely for business purposes and claims the expenses through his Limited Company. As he spends his working week at the London flat, is it okay to change his personal address for SA purposes with HMRC to the London one without causing any potential problem or query from HMRC?
The same applies for the company in respect of VAT and PAYE, the address registered with HMRC is his home address but would be far easier if it was London.
I don't want HMRC turning round and saying that London is now his permanent base solely because of that.
On a related note, he spends the working 5 day week in London and the weekend at home. It's been suggested that he should only claim 5/7ths of the London flat costs, however I intend to argue that as the company can't sign a 5 day week lease with the landlord the full 7 day cost should be a company expense, regardless of whether the client stays on in London at the weekend or not. He still after all has his computer and office space set up in London whether its sitting idle or not.
Any thoughts on either issue would be appreciated.
- do I have to pay NI? 26 1
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,224 15
- Website - Any guess on their business ... 59 1
- what time is it ? 428 5
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 153 6
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 447 25
- VAT chargeable or not? 114 3
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,265 55
- find-accountants.com 253 3
- Matching of tax return to P60 182 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 108 3
- trading or dormant 163 3
- Funds introduced by company secretary... 284 5
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 210 8
- Related Parties Note 202 4
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,071 20
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 805 22
- VAT on disbursement 182 2
- tax credits 239 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,085 17
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 937
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 533
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 343
- How to format a stock book 330
- Tax efficient holding company structure 263
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 253
- Investment property company accounts template 236
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 200
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 195
- Charge out rates in London? 166