Tenants In Common And CGT
I own a let property jointly with my husband, as joint tenants. We wish to become tenants in common with my parents, because we owe them a sum of money, which we are not in a position to repay at the present time. My queries are as follows:
1. As we understand it, we would be liable to pay CGT on the transfer of the property to my parents. When would this become payable, at the time of transfer, or when the property was eventually sold? If at the time of transfer, when would the bill become payable?
2. Would we only owe CGT on the percentage of the property we transferred, or on the value of the whole property?
3. Could we transfer various percentages to my parents in different tax years to maximise our personal CGT allowances?
4. When the property is eventually sold, would all 4 people be able to use their personal CGT allowances?
5. If we had already paid CGT when we transferred the property to my parents, would we also have to pay it when the property is sold?
6. The property is mortgaged, on a buy to let. Would this be a problem?
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 34 1
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 875 18
- CGT on transfer of property 289 17
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 194 8
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 56 1
- The stupidity continues 2,330 100
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 141 2
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 44 1
- Excel file Corrupted 136 3
- Benefit in kind but no salary 167 2
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 116 1
- Marketing and email surprises 508 10
- Cis refund for company 173 3
- 45p mileage - stupid question 425 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 138 1
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 229 8
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,484 27
- PRR and Letting relief 130 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 177 2
- Capital Event? 157 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 458
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 451
- WIP Software 317
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 301
- No payroll scheme in place 258
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 252
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 234
- Is there anything wrong with this? 230
- Small Part Disposal of Property 209
- Uncommercial property business 203