Tenants In Common And CGT
I own a let property jointly with my husband, as joint tenants. We wish to become tenants in common with my parents, because we owe them a sum of money, which we are not in a position to repay at the present time. My queries are as follows:
1. As we understand it, we would be liable to pay CGT on the transfer of the property to my parents. When would this become payable, at the time of transfer, or when the property was eventually sold? If at the time of transfer, when would the bill become payable?
2. Would we only owe CGT on the percentage of the property we transferred, or on the value of the whole property?
3. Could we transfer various percentages to my parents in different tax years to maximise our personal CGT allowances?
4. When the property is eventually sold, would all 4 people be able to use their personal CGT allowances?
5. If we had already paid CGT when we transferred the property to my parents, would we also have to pay it when the property is sold?
6. The property is mortgaged, on a buy to let. Would this be a problem?
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 178 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 179 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 590 15
- When to top-up pensions? 133 2
- Support / ticketing software 316 11
- Withdrawal of a quote 322 6
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 307 3
- Imported goods and VAT 118 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 428 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 578 11
- Stamp Duty 159 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,845 22
- Company Number 10000000 976 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 361 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 215 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 458 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,828 29
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 444 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 224 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 336 5
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 795
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 285
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 216
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 213
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 208
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187