Tenants In Common And CGT
I own a let property jointly with my husband, as joint tenants. We wish to become tenants in common with my parents, because we owe them a sum of money, which we are not in a position to repay at the present time. My queries are as follows:
1. As we understand it, we would be liable to pay CGT on the transfer of the property to my parents. When would this become payable, at the time of transfer, or when the property was eventually sold? If at the time of transfer, when would the bill become payable?
2. Would we only owe CGT on the percentage of the property we transferred, or on the value of the whole property?
3. Could we transfer various percentages to my parents in different tax years to maximise our personal CGT allowances?
4. When the property is eventually sold, would all 4 people be able to use their personal CGT allowances?
5. If we had already paid CGT when we transferred the property to my parents, would we also have to pay it when the property is sold?
6. The property is mortgaged, on a buy to let. Would this be a problem?
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,240 28
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,659 42
- Sage Line 50 143 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 90 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 357 6
- Accountant Specialization. 300 4
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 365 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 132 1
- Freelance/Employee 677 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 204 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 176 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 182 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 483 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 119 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 607 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 702 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 151 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 210 2
- Is it just me ... 331 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 308 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 749
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 407
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 357
- Electric Car 291
- S222 Charge 240
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 197
- IP trans to holding company 191
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 176
- AIA 170
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 169