Tenants In Common And CGT
I own a let property jointly with my husband, as joint tenants. We wish to become tenants in common with my parents, because we owe them a sum of money, which we are not in a position to repay at the present time. My queries are as follows:
1. As we understand it, we would be liable to pay CGT on the transfer of the property to my parents. When would this become payable, at the time of transfer, or when the property was eventually sold? If at the time of transfer, when would the bill become payable?
2. Would we only owe CGT on the percentage of the property we transferred, or on the value of the whole property?
3. Could we transfer various percentages to my parents in different tax years to maximise our personal CGT allowances?
4. When the property is eventually sold, would all 4 people be able to use their personal CGT allowances?
5. If we had already paid CGT when we transferred the property to my parents, would we also have to pay it when the property is sold?
6. The property is mortgaged, on a buy to let. Would this be a problem?
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 135 3
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 345 14
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 196 2
- Easy way to not pay tax 109 4
- Builder using cash labour 105 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 212 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 435 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 267 10
- Was I rude 814 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 320 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 217 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 294 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 302 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 209 6
- Non-compete agreement 189 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 205 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 155 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 115 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 116 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 299
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 210
- Bonus Bonds 180
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172