Tenants In Common And CGT
I own a let property jointly with my husband, as joint tenants. We wish to become tenants in common with my parents, because we owe them a sum of money, which we are not in a position to repay at the present time. My queries are as follows:
1. As we understand it, we would be liable to pay CGT on the transfer of the property to my parents. When would this become payable, at the time of transfer, or when the property was eventually sold? If at the time of transfer, when would the bill become payable?
2. Would we only owe CGT on the percentage of the property we transferred, or on the value of the whole property?
3. Could we transfer various percentages to my parents in different tax years to maximise our personal CGT allowances?
4. When the property is eventually sold, would all 4 people be able to use their personal CGT allowances?
5. If we had already paid CGT when we transferred the property to my parents, would we also have to pay it when the property is sold?
6. The property is mortgaged, on a buy to let. Would this be a problem?
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,172 132
- How do I account for trees?! 73 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 476 17
- P11d Van - no private use 364 11
- Expanding To UK From USA 73 1
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 222 5
- Shadow director or alternative? 149 1
- Abbreviated Accounts 302 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 490 6
- Employee who reports their PAYE themselves to HMRC - Am i liable for Employer NI 272 1
- SSP recovered on directors salary 249 5
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 363 2
- Computerised Accountancy Software 254 1
- Standard 'email' template system 296 5
- HMRC Enquiry re interest paid 412 7
- Being Tax relevant 210 2
- Help with Mortgage Application? 362 5
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 468 12
- 10% Wear & Tear Allowance - Limited Company 286 3
- Can an EU biz register an LLC in UK, but operate from the local country? 183 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 981
- Employment related securities question 501
- Looking for a qualified accountant 312
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 301
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 274
- National Insurance 211
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 200
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 193
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 185
- Payments on account coded out?? 144