Tenants In Common And CGT
I own a let property jointly with my husband, as joint tenants. We wish to become tenants in common with my parents, because we owe them a sum of money, which we are not in a position to repay at the present time. My queries are as follows:
1. As we understand it, we would be liable to pay CGT on the transfer of the property to my parents. When would this become payable, at the time of transfer, or when the property was eventually sold? If at the time of transfer, when would the bill become payable?
2. Would we only owe CGT on the percentage of the property we transferred, or on the value of the whole property?
3. Could we transfer various percentages to my parents in different tax years to maximise our personal CGT allowances?
4. When the property is eventually sold, would all 4 people be able to use their personal CGT allowances?
5. If we had already paid CGT when we transferred the property to my parents, would we also have to pay it when the property is sold?
6. The property is mortgaged, on a buy to let. Would this be a problem?
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 266 8
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 395 23
- Withholding of tax 56 1
- Working out a daily rate 22 1
- Payroll dates 49 4
- Auto enrolment 1,176 12
- missing 895 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 115 3
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 64 1
- are receipts needed? 110 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 503 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 181 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 129 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,781 61
- Partnership merger 79 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 705 25
- Know it alls (who don't) 833 19
- VAT on motor expenses 995 36
- Incorporation with pending court case 173 3
- Reposted question 153 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,568
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 867
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 335
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 245
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 223
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 215
- Help with tax codes on Sage 167
- Capital reduction 158