Is there any way back for this client?
Background - I've very recently taken on a new client who is in a mess. I don't really want to get into arguments over whether I should have taken them on - maybe I'll start a separate thread for that. The client is a care business - i.e.: they provide carers to go to old/ill/disabled peoples' homes to administer care, medication, etc, etc. In short, they are a long way behind with the PAYE. Again, I don't want this thread to turn into a series of comments that the PAYE is not their money and there's no excuse for paying it over, etc. The situation is what it is. They got behind in 2010/11 and had a time to pay arrangement. They kept to this but fell behind with 2011/12. They are now a long way behind - far more than is affordable in the short term.
This client has been taking on additional business recently and has had a nod and a wink from the local authority that when the tri-annual contracts are up for renewal in December, because they now have certain accreditations they didn't have previously, they will be awarded substantial amounts of work.
We've done some forecasts this week and proposed a time to pay arrangement with HMRC and they have rejected it although I am waiting on a call from a director there next week. My hopes that they will show leniency are low.
So, the question is, what is the best way out of this mess? HMRC told me today that if we can't come up with a 6 month time to pay arrangement they will move to liquidate. There are no assets to speak of other than the DLA (I know - the PAYE should have been paid rather than funds drawn out to pay household bills but it's happened).
Firstly, if HMRC move to liquidate I assume they'll want the DLA repaid. If the sole director has no cash to pay this can they move to sell assets (e.g.: the family home) to recover the amount owed by the director?
Secondly, how quickly would they move? Could they simply order the company to cease trading immediately? Given the nature of the business an immediate cessation could, quite literally, be a matter of life and death.
We are meeting an IP on Monday morning. Is pheonixing possible (notwithstanding whether the local authority would transfer work to the newco)? My main worry with pheonixing is that HMRC might demand a security bond against future PAYE. The director couldn't come up with this so if required pheonixing is a non starter. However I assume we wouldn't find out that a bond was required until AFTER the newco was set up - how do we get around that?
If we assume that paying the debt in 6 months or a pheonix are not possible, are HMRC likely to give us a short time to try to find investment and/or a buyer for the business? They make a healthy gross margin. The issues have arisen from naivety and poor financial management, not because the underlying business cannot work. I have no idea whether we could find investment or a buyer or not, but would HMRC grant a short timeframe to look?
Finally is there a possibility, due to the nature of the business, that HMRC might show a little more leniancy with regard to the time to pay? I have no doubt that with better financial controls (i.e.: actually getting monthly accounts for a start) and understanding of the finances, coupled with the new contract and existing organic growth, that this business can succeed and pay down the HMRC debt and, ultimately, clear the DLA with dividends and/or bonus.
So, after all that, is there any hope?
Thanks in advance
- Declined for business bank account 239 5
- Help with Mortgage Application? 479 7
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 176 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,623 283
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 212 10
- Standard 'email' template system 881 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 460 9
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,029 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 216 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 95 1
- Circular shareholding 234 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 190 6
- business card address 305 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 213 2
- Loan to a related company 105 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 661 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 333 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 273 8
- property rental income split 131 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 137 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,115
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 367
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 239
- Payments on account coded out?? 229
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 222
- Non Resident 187
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 182
- Franchise income and costs 177