Time limits for income tax determination
Our client's income tax return for the year to 5th April 2008 was filed late by paper on 28th May 2012. This client appointed us in December 2011 and only gave us the records on 26th April 2012 for us to prepare the 2007/08 accounts and tax. To my knowledge there are no extenuating circumstances for the client to be late in getting the accounts ready .
HMRC issued a determination of tax in May 2009 and determined the tax liability at £120,100. The 2008 tax return prepared showed the actual liability to be £78,569, so the tax was overcharged by £41,531.
HMRC's guidance & Section S28C(5) and (6) state that a determination can only be replaced by an actual self assessment made within three years from the filing date for the 2007/08 tax return,. The deadline therefore seems to be 31st January 2012 for replacing the £120,100 determination. As the 2008 return was actually filed on 28th May 2012, it seems that we were out of time and HMRC will NOT process the 2008 return submitted and replace the tax determination with the actual figures of £78,569. This means that our client will be £41,531 worse off by not attending to his tax return within the 3 year period.
Does anyone have any experience of this ? Is there any other way or any other tax provisions to allow us to extend the three year deadline or to allow us to have the 2008 tax determination replaced with actual tax return figures ?
Any comment would be appreciated.
- Member meet up 1 October in London 326 8
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 178 7
- Identify cost savings 207 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 436 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 114 2
- Capital gains tax and PPR 97 1
- Jobs after completing ACCA 135 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 590 11
- are these allowable deductions? 131 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,659 20
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 570 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 87 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 139 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 418 7
- Schedule A losses 153 1
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 201 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 834 1
- Fees 796 8
- P11D & tax return 289 10
- Freelance/Employee 932 22
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 333
- S222 Charge 269
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 241
- AIA 216
- IP trans to holding company 210
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 205
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 171
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 162