Time limits for income tax determination
Our client's income tax return for the year to 5th April 2008 was filed late by paper on 28th May 2012. This client appointed us in December 2011 and only gave us the records on 26th April 2012 for us to prepare the 2007/08 accounts and tax. To my knowledge there are no extenuating circumstances for the client to be late in getting the accounts ready .
HMRC issued a determination of tax in May 2009 and determined the tax liability at £120,100. The 2008 tax return prepared showed the actual liability to be £78,569, so the tax was overcharged by £41,531.
HMRC's guidance & Section S28C(5) and (6) state that a determination can only be replaced by an actual self assessment made within three years from the filing date for the 2007/08 tax return,. The deadline therefore seems to be 31st January 2012 for replacing the £120,100 determination. As the 2008 return was actually filed on 28th May 2012, it seems that we were out of time and HMRC will NOT process the 2008 return submitted and replace the tax determination with the actual figures of £78,569. This means that our client will be £41,531 worse off by not attending to his tax return within the 3 year period.
Does anyone have any experience of this ? Is there any other way or any other tax provisions to allow us to extend the three year deadline or to allow us to have the 2008 tax determination replaced with actual tax return figures ?
Any comment would be appreciated.
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 360 10
- VAT on employee loan 279 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 940 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 93 2
- Accountants website 364 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 216 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 674 29
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 162 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 446 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 87 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 108 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,405 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 217 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 169 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 218 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 200 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 717 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 151 1
- Purchased Goodwill 161 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 93 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,082
- Moving away from CCH software 936
- QROP pension input amounts 428
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 372
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 344
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 312
- fraud 270
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 240
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 213
- Construction CIS LLP Company 192