Time limits for income tax determination
Our client's income tax return for the year to 5th April 2008 was filed late by paper on 28th May 2012. This client appointed us in December 2011 and only gave us the records on 26th April 2012 for us to prepare the 2007/08 accounts and tax. To my knowledge there are no extenuating circumstances for the client to be late in getting the accounts ready .
HMRC issued a determination of tax in May 2009 and determined the tax liability at £120,100. The 2008 tax return prepared showed the actual liability to be £78,569, so the tax was overcharged by £41,531.
HMRC's guidance & Section S28C(5) and (6) state that a determination can only be replaced by an actual self assessment made within three years from the filing date for the 2007/08 tax return,. The deadline therefore seems to be 31st January 2012 for replacing the £120,100 determination. As the 2008 return was actually filed on 28th May 2012, it seems that we were out of time and HMRC will NOT process the 2008 return submitted and replace the tax determination with the actual figures of £78,569. This means that our client will be £41,531 worse off by not attending to his tax return within the 3 year period.
Does anyone have any experience of this ? Is there any other way or any other tax provisions to allow us to extend the three year deadline or to allow us to have the 2008 tax determination replaced with actual tax return figures ?
Any comment would be appreciated.
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 385 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,574 32
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 78 1
- Renting property to yourself 286 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 376 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 88 4
- register as self employed? 97 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 101 1
- VAT enquiry 66 1
- Write off of former director's loan 207 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 235 4
- Capital gain or not? 124 3
- EC VAT 154 5
- Accountant software 247 3
- Forecasting Software 194 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,831 21
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 391 5
- Which software for practice books? 284 5
- Employer wishes to meet the cost of a number of employees childcare costs 111 3
- LTD company late penalties 255 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 626
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 480
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 448
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 274
- How to format a stock book 228
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 192
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 180
- Tax efficient holding company structure 167
- Investment property company accounts template 159
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 149