Time limits for income tax determination
Our client's income tax return for the year to 5th April 2008 was filed late by paper on 28th May 2012. This client appointed us in December 2011 and only gave us the records on 26th April 2012 for us to prepare the 2007/08 accounts and tax. To my knowledge there are no extenuating circumstances for the client to be late in getting the accounts ready .
HMRC issued a determination of tax in May 2009 and determined the tax liability at £120,100. The 2008 tax return prepared showed the actual liability to be £78,569, so the tax was overcharged by £41,531.
HMRC's guidance & Section S28C(5) and (6) state that a determination can only be replaced by an actual self assessment made within three years from the filing date for the 2007/08 tax return,. The deadline therefore seems to be 31st January 2012 for replacing the £120,100 determination. As the 2008 return was actually filed on 28th May 2012, it seems that we were out of time and HMRC will NOT process the 2008 return submitted and replace the tax determination with the actual figures of £78,569. This means that our client will be £41,531 worse off by not attending to his tax return within the 3 year period.
Does anyone have any experience of this ? Is there any other way or any other tax provisions to allow us to extend the three year deadline or to allow us to have the 2008 tax determination replaced with actual tax return figures ?
Any comment would be appreciated.
- Deduction from Salary 930 28
- Yorkshire Day 189 11
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 749 16
- Accounts Software 306 11
- Group Audit Thresholds 372 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 847 25
- Collection or business assets 158 4
- Incorporated when they should not have 418 13
- Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33 193 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,798 42
- VAT for client based in Thailand 51 1
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 840 22
- Doctor and Locum Work 336 5
- Deleted question? 122 1
- Accountancy Career 439 8
- Flat rate allowed but not used. 74 1
- Employee and subcontractor 198 4
- Help with HMRC investigation 402 7
- SMP reclaimable by employer 193 4
- calculation DTR restriction 129 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 693
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 545
- Cancelled 432
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 364
- Probiz 339
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 338
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 210