Time limits for income tax determination
Our client's income tax return for the year to 5th April 2008 was filed late by paper on 28th May 2012. This client appointed us in December 2011 and only gave us the records on 26th April 2012 for us to prepare the 2007/08 accounts and tax. To my knowledge there are no extenuating circumstances for the client to be late in getting the accounts ready .
HMRC issued a determination of tax in May 2009 and determined the tax liability at £120,100. The 2008 tax return prepared showed the actual liability to be £78,569, so the tax was overcharged by £41,531.
HMRC's guidance & Section S28C(5) and (6) state that a determination can only be replaced by an actual self assessment made within three years from the filing date for the 2007/08 tax return,. The deadline therefore seems to be 31st January 2012 for replacing the £120,100 determination. As the 2008 return was actually filed on 28th May 2012, it seems that we were out of time and HMRC will NOT process the 2008 return submitted and replace the tax determination with the actual figures of £78,569. This means that our client will be £41,531 worse off by not attending to his tax return within the 3 year period.
Does anyone have any experience of this ? Is there any other way or any other tax provisions to allow us to extend the three year deadline or to allow us to have the 2008 tax determination replaced with actual tax return figures ?
Any comment would be appreciated.
- Stamp duty or SDLT payable on admission to a partnership? 63 2
- What do do about VAT? 157 4
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 171 6
- Accounts Package 540 14
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 603 7
- Share issue and transfer 54 3
- Payroll got out of synch 276 9
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 808 17
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 571 7
- Old payroll 207 5
- HMRC Debt collectors 250 4
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 187 5
- Special Puprose Vehicle (SPV) company 156 4
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,318 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,006 22
- Not a question but made my day 1,044 21
- VAT Caravan Residential Letting Income 108 1
- Exempt supplies and VAT registration 196 6
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 525 6
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,976 27
- NHS finance professionals 589
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 387
- Foreign Pension Contribution 361
- vat gross profit percentage margins 325
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 318
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 302
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 262
- Thinning income 253
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 218
- IFA income recognition & reporting 196