Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- The stupidity continues 259 9
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 128 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,357 19
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 85 1
- Overlap relief 742 19
- What is IRIS World like? 336 8
- Pension contributions 348 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 109 4
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 468 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 151 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 445 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 262 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 253 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 201 1
- Share transfer question 327 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 553 10
- New Employers Helpline 152 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 216 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 208 4
- VAT Query 213 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 426
- WIP Software 291
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 224
- No payroll scheme in place 223
- Software recommendations 212
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 202
- Is there anything wrong with this? 195
- Small Part Disposal of Property 176