Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 134 2
- Cash basis 405 11
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,830 27
- Fee base v staff ratio 230 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 302 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 206 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 70 1
- Investor exit 182 3
- Partially exempt? 358 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 115 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 391 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,200 22
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 371 4
- Statutory sick pay 234 3
- Overseas bank interest 222 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 164 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 362 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 224 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 316 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,957 589
- Skandia using wrong address 554
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 302
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 298
- Employee rewards 282
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 259
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 247
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 235
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 218
- Etax Australian 180
- LLP in Construction Industry 144