Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Director leaving in month 1 49 1
- S162 and Capital Allowances 98 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 105 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 159 3
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 184 2
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 157 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 145 4
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 167 6
- IHT - clawback of BPR 31 1
- EIS - connection through employment 82 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 222 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 29 1
- CIS and Close Company 68 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 217 4
- Secondment expenses 146 3
- VAT Option to tax 436 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 109 4
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 100 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 135 3
- VAT Registration 323 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 904
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 635
- Free Tax Legislation? 397
- Director Loan account operation 394
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 323
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 316
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 180