Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 89 6
- Payroo Employer allowance query 224 7
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 193 6
- Enforcing A CCJ 343 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 95 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 163 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 286 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 119 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 415 5
- Director's tax return 380 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 169 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,110 34
- Flat rate vat 206 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 186 5
- Coming in from the cold 363 3
- Splitting the tax year 176 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 212 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 183 4
- Submitting tax return 213 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 273 8
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 811
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 559
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 428
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 310
- Free Tax Legislation? 283
- Director Loan account operation 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 252
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 171