Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 350 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 120 1
- Accountant Specialization. 267 3
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 285 5
- . 215 2
- Freelance/Employee 658 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 199 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 170 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 172 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 459 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 106 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 597 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 688 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 135 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 197 2
- Is it just me ... 304 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 302 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 125 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 354 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 226 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 289
- S222 Charge 237
- IP trans to holding company 188
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 186
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 172
- AIA 167
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 165