Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,326 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 173 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 194 2
- "Audit Report" 93 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 490 13
- Coding Notice 235 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 256 6
- New business - journal entries 420 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 229 3
- Payroll software 655 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 284 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 403 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 739 18
- B2B vat in the EU 197 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 206 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 239 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 205 4
- LLP as member of LLP 146 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,855 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 882
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 724
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 417
- Social investment tax relief 223
- Digita Hosted Software 217
- Call Centre Data Costs 205
- accounting for this transaction 204
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 178
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 176
- Travel costs and contractors 176