Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Scanners 133 3
- Payment plans for clients 35 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 204 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 187 7
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 64 1
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 376 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 422 9
- P60 or payslips? 51 1
- Property income in different capacities 81 1
- IHT dilemma 1,367 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 175 1
- IT advisory questions? 155 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 788 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 113 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 510 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 457 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 625 12
- More AE! 647 14
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 134 4
- PAYE 1,642 17
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,152
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 794
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 482
- Digita Hosted Software 316
- Credit where credit's due....... 265
- Director phone costs 225
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 224
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 183
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 147
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 132