Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 936 29
- You know its over 298 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 481 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 201 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 155 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 141 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 210 3
- Cocaine anyone? 493 8
- Late Registration for VAT 477 13
- EIS/SEIS 134 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 267 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 408 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 414 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 702 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 549 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 580 4
- Personal pension 396 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,212 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 162 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 452
- corporate hierarchy 432
- Advice - 269
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 222
- WWOOFers 215
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 173
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171