Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 893 43
- Tier One Tribunal 103 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 806 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 109 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 70 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 245 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 126 2
- Another transfer of property 122 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 209 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 102 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 565 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 95 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 167 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 180 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 556 14
- SA316s 222 3
- Swiching tax 544 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 533 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 395 11
- Start-up cost recognition 130 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 612
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 595
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 357
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 294
- Using the correct forms 268
- RTI - duplicate employee record 264
- SA penalty proposals 258
- Accelerated payment notices 238
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 235