Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 428 7
- private to company car? 125 3
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 201 13
- Buy to let allowable interest 76 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 91 1
- Partner with an IVA 137 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 895 33
- Your fondest calculator memories 528 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 402 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 222 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 205 6
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 296 4
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 327 13
- Consequential loss claim 64 1
- Does anyone do payrolling of benefits? 129 1
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 237 8
- Sale of an investment between group companies 107 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 402 12
- RTI - EPS - ??? 274 4
- That old chestnut 610 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 449
- CTA study material 412
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 299
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 274
- Pre incorp expenses 265
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 234
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 228
- Slight twist on employment related securities 204
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 176
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 174