Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Corporation Tax Software 392 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 81 1
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 42 1
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,010 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 665 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 83 1
- Auto enrolment 126 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 130 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 94 4
- Regular Director bonus 446 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 146 1
- Registration as self-employed 128 1
- BrightPay 1,091 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 532 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 349 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,109 17
- BIK for an electric car 164 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,630 90
- How do I save face? 2,369 14
- Goodie bag 3,103 72
- Possible Partnership? 689
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 534
- Fuming! 513
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 334
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 275
- Moving away from CCH software 265
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 255
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 207