Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,422 39
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 51 2
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 219 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,217 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 348 6
- Go Cardless 372 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 313 3
- Mehjoo 328 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 117 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 377 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 191 4
- SA302 333 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 288 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 215 4
- Hmrc software 252 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 179 1
- Hosted email exchange 188 5
- South African Government Pension 184 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 385 4
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 208
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 205
- Domain name sale and limited company 178
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151