Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Xerocon 2016 1,018 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,190 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 235 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 249 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 597 12
- Personal Tax 497 11
- USA Tax Query 174 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,661 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 946 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 298 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 602 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 353 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 414 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 179 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 343 4
- last minute request 520 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,254 46