Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,194 17
- Clothing 525 14
- Anybody still doing returns? 745 31
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 157 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 173 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 95 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 349 16
- Designated sole Residence 149 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 723 15
- Anyone know what this is? 254 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 901 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 523 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 269 9
- no utr 296 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,128 49
- Director drawings 609 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 296 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 91 1
- Capital Loss 136 3
- LLP formed in 2013 107 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 954
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 677
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 623
- Latest phishing scam 598
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 437
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 326
- Scratch Head 265
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 256
- Sabbatical payments 218
- Negligible Value Claim 197