Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,243 32
- Married woman dies owning marital home 451 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,428 28
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,254 25
- Dividend dates 433 7
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 180 5
- Not a good start no broadband 453 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 130 2
- is this fraud? 704 12
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 698 14
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 196 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 68 1
- Intrastat triangulation 63 1
- CGT 147 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 186 4
- Question regarding gym training 376 6
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 168 3
- CIS Deductions 234 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 422 8
- Property initial recognition 166 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 585
- Cancelled 343
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 280
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 250
- Probiz 234
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 174
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 173
- Car leasing scheme 165
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 150