Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 6 1
- Sage 50 174 2
- New accountant 164 5
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 42 1
- sole trader - operating under cis 216 7
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 448 26
- are receipts needed? 190 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,930 65
- Tax case refeence request 92 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 779 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 220 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,901 29
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 240 5
- Working out a daily rate 155 5
- Auto enrolment 1,236 13
- Payroll dates 133 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 282 8
- Withholding of tax 102 1
- missing 955 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 170 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,575
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 872
- International interest certificate 481
- NOVA 338
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 258
- Management expenses for investment company 230
- Bonus Bonds 228
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 223
- Help with tax codes on Sage 172
- Capital reduction 163