Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Flat Rate VAT 154 6
- Redundancy pay 282 8
- Servicing AE fees 140 2
- VAT Receipts 240 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 82 2
- P800 problems again 67 1
- Company accounts for £350 933 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 390 12
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,137 40
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 127 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 193 5
- Software for Accounts layout 251 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 213 6
- Debt management unit HMRC 141 1
- How to report under-declaration on next VAT100? 128 1
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 186 4
- Mandatory Capitalisation 224 3
- Practice software 1,152 16
- A different accounts production software request 203 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,551 16
- FRS 101 Software 329
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 301
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 292
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 271
- French ConnectionUK 235
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 206
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 201
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 198
- APN's 183
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 179