Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 203 3
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 601 13
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 230 4
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 310 4
- Closing my business down 96 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 851 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 306 6
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 192 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 119 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,243 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,472 21
- VAT flat rate scheme 117 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 295 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 92 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,098 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 417 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 160 1
- FPS or EPS 176 2
- Continuity of Practice 229 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 148 2
- Moving away from CCH software 956
- QROP pension input amounts 442
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 385
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 359
- fraud 287
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 262
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 230
- Construction CIS LLP Company 215
- EPS and CIS deductions 202
- Out of time or not? 183