Total lack of understanding
Just in case you haven't noticed, over the years I've had some discussions with various members about Value Pricing (VP).
The members who disagree with me seem to think VP is about ripping clients off. They prefer a "time/cost plus notional profit" approach to pricing, sometimes using timesheets sometime not.
I come at this from the position that time/cost pricing is selfish/self-centred and effectively makes the profession unethical. Continuing with time/cost pricing will make the accounting profession irrelevant. The conclusion is that accountants will just do is more accounts/tax returns as they gradually become more efficient forced by prices falling.
Many existing practitioners may get out before they experience too much pain, but what about the future?
When you understand VP you appreciate it is the only approach to pricing that:
- Puts the client first
- Fully aligns the accountant and client
- Encourage and rewards innovation
- Drives down costs on low value work
- Maximises value for everyone (clients, practice owners, employees and society)
Pricing is fundamental to strategy so it seems sensible to me to understand as much as possible about such an important topic. At the end of the day being an accountant in practice requires much more that technical knowledge of accounts/tax. But, there is another reason to fully understand VP.
Business owners expect/need this extra knowledge (especially now) and an accountant who does not understand VP and just prices with cost/plus will probably only be able to talk to their client about things like job costing.
Over the years I have invested time and energy to build my knowledge of VP through:
- Reading books
- Attending seminars and Webinars
- Accountants (and other professional) who have adopted VP
- Using VP
I'm interested to know where you have gained your understanding. What have you actually done to build your knowledge of VP?
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 57 3
- Matching of tax return to P60 44 1
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,014 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,197 53
- Related Parties Note 117 3
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 767 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 192 7
- what time is it ? 312 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 89 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 434 24
- VAT on disbursement 168 2
- tax credits 213 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,046 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 89 1
- LLP - Member leaving 199 6
- Year end 267 3
- Foreign income for self employed 174 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 311 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 330 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,152 14
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 914
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 529
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 336
- How to format a stock book 323
- Tax efficient holding company structure 258
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 248
- Investment property company accounts template 234
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 197
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 185
- Charge out rates in London? 159