Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- TaxCalc Accounts production 129 2
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 372 8
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 214 3
- Running two businesses from the same premises 408 5
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 97 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,365 42
- How much of your work is admin? 628 5
- Nominal Ledger 391 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 585 20
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 191 2
- Old CGT loss 215 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 200 3
- Paper tax return 166 4
- Start up allowance? 385 12
- Will I need to resign? 221 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 253 3
- AIA or IFA 460 7
- Surely not? 470 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 647 9
- Late Registration for VAT 371 11