Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,388 63
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 335 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 579 11
- calculate mortgage interest 120 1
- Auto enrolment 1,645 27
- AIA 206 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 588 27
- Depreciation 165 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 137 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 225 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 184 3
- client can't/won't pay 453 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 206 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 258 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 271 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,195 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 279 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 221 5
- HMRC SA software error? 192 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 180 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 793
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 465
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 457
- Latest phishing scam 296
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 277
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 243