Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 25 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 76 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 54 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 32 1
- New Business Registration 187 5
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 771 46
- Audit rules 119 3
- Hosted email exchange 98 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 107 1
- Go Cardless 182 5
- G P life time allowance 86 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 344 11
- Bringing money to Uk 188 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 93 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 100 2
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 185 5
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 553 11
- SA302 126 2
- Can customer claim VAT on contractor cash purchases. 144 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 107 2
- Xtuple 490
- Qtac payroll for bureau 330
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 274
- Industrial & Provident Societies 268
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 212
- Mehjoo 210
- New strategic report 166
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 158
- Domain name sale and limited company 150
- South African Government Pension 146