Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 101 4
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 167 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 42 1
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 507 2
- Research expenses for authors 185 3
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 67 2
- Late VAT registration penalty 106 3
- HMRC website 86 1
- VAT 59 1
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 370 18
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 114 1
- Pricing 224 8
- Sage error message 60 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 211 8
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 218 3
- Auto-Enrolment 3,178 158
- Money laundering POCA 223 4
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 113 1
- P11d mistake 131 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 199 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 502
- Skandia using wrong address 450
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 242
- Employee rewards 238
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 209
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 187
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 183
- Etax Australian 153