Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 58 1
- What is IRIS World like? 327 8
- Pension contributions 343 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 95 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,340 18
- The stupidity continues 199 4
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 114 1
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 457 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 147 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 444 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 257 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 246 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 197 1
- Share transfer question 321 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 549 10
- New Employers Helpline 150 3
- Overlap relief 736 19
- Budget 2015 - take two 214 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 203 4
- VAT Query 209 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 426
- WIP Software 291
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- No payroll scheme in place 222
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 222
- Software recommendations 207
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 201
- Is there anything wrong with this? 194
- Small Part Disposal of Property 175