Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 270 11
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 648 21
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 139 1
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 555 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 635 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,249 45
- practice planning 175 3
- Accounts Software 721 19
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 502 14
- Dividend Vouchers 387 5
- Gift to employee 420 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 173 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 171 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,126 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 193 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 164 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,680 10
- Which address 1,089 12
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,544 17
- R&D tax claim 272 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 491
- CTA study material 470
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 341
- Pre incorp expenses 328
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 278
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 267
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 216
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 171
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 145
- Employment related securities question 130