Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- Late leaver notification 307 6
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 100 1
- CGT on transfer of shares to Holding company 74 2
- How does one compete? 364 7
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 862 15
- Self explanatory? I hope so! 131 1
- Should small companies be audited? 1,075 44
- semi retirement 247 4
- ATT Exam Question 226 6
- FPS responses ... 152 4
- shareholder remuneration 244 9
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 314 3
- Where has Portia gone? 9,070 144
- proposed dividends 330 16
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,481 28
- Dividend and pension with no salary 433 4
- NICs and director salary if receiving pension 112 1
- Vat on solicitors charges 339 7
- What does PITA mean? 718 17
- VATable supplies 148 3
- Sanzar 472
- Digital marketing focus group 389
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 363
- Continuity Agreement 308
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 298
- Sainsbury's mangement 296
- Avanti Accounts 291
- Buyback 276
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 219
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 191