Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,137 10
- flat rate scheme 419 9
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,376 39
- Rental Expenses 212 7
- Defer,Accrue & Wip 224 7
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 216 7
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 343 2
- UK tax exposure 259 4
- regulated mortgage work? 144 2
- any help? 260 4
- HMRC turning post around in 11 - 12 weeks? 342 8
- Companies House? 263 3
- Echosign mail merge? 294 1
- Before I call employers helpline 257 1
- VAT refund 423 4
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 244 3
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 229 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 583 6
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 304 2
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 199 3