Trading in America
I'm currently researching the optimal business structure for a client seeking to break America. They have been in touch with a legal advisor over there and have had several suggestions put to them.
In general, the advisor has pushed the idea of an "LLC" (for all intent and purposes, it is an LLP equivalent). Under an LLC business profits are taxed on Partners as individuals. Individuals enjoy considerably lower tax rates than "alien" owned Corporations.
I agree with his suggestion. However, I have delved deeper. As may have already assumed, the individuals concerned will remain UK Resident. CTA taught me that, simply, UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide income; thus making the current LLC proposal inefficient as the individuals would be HRTP and possibly ARTP.
However, on reading the Double Tax Convention applicable between UK/US, Art. 7 suggests that Business Profits will be taxable ONLY in the Contracting State in which they arise. This is of course at odds with my previous paragraph stating UK Res. should be taxable on worldwide profits?
Can I rely on the statements contained in Art.7 of the DTC?
Would disclosure of the reliance on the exemption to double taxation be required on the UK SA100?
Some other points which may be of relevance:
- The trade is an extension of one undertaken through a UK Ltd. There
- The UK Ltd is currently a UK Marginal CT payer.
Any other points, recommendations, or cautions would be welcome.
Thanks for reading,
- VAT & Landlords 160 3
- Auto enrolment and husband & Wife companies 387 2
- Extraction of Factory from Trading Company and Leaseback 56 1
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 24 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 490 16
- Share swap 352 11
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 26 1
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 234 10
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 309 6
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 144 2
- Residential leeting and repairs 79 2
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 227 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 157 4
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 234 11
- Late P45 78 1
- VAT on motor expenses 936 34
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 512 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,759 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,210 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 143 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,554
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 240
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- Management expenses for investment company 220
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 198
- Check my logic on this please? 166