Transfer of Equity
Take an investor in property who has an income of £160,000 and a number of flats bought in the late 1990’s typically worth three to four times their original cost.
The investor wishes to make ongoing payments of £20k to charity,
Some of these flats have a higher rental yield than others and they wish to sell one of the lower yielding ones.
Take one property that cost £50k and is now worth about £190k.
Could they transfer a third of the equity in the flat they wish to sell each year to a charity?
Ideally to a body like the Charaties Aid foundation. It is possible to transfer shares to this body which sells them and the giver receives tax relief . They can then use the proceeds to make payments to a charity of their choice.
Say the giver gave the flat to the charaties aid foundation in three steps.
So say transferring a third in March 2013 . Then a third March 2014 and finally a third in April 2014.
So for this tax year and the following two tax years taxable income would be reduce by about £60k each.
In April 2014 the property would be wholly owned by the Charaties Aid Founation and the giver would be able to use the sales proceeds to give to charaties of their choice.
The goal beeing to use the sales proceeds of the flat to give to charity whilst getting income tax relief and avoiding CGT.
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 131 4
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 548 15
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 324 18
- New Starter Checklist 46 2
- Charges for VAT MOSS 209 1
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 354 6
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 272 7
- Limited company purchase of property 496 4
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,006 15
- Goodwill complications 284 6
- Tax relief for VAT assessment 44 1
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 150 1
- How much of your work is admin? 729 9
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 222 4
- Will I need to resign? 472 7
- Trade creditor journal 125 2
- The declaration on the VAT return is wrong ??? 197 1
- Old CGT loss 246 4
- Bulk submissions to Companies House 486 2
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 417 9
- TheTax Donut 1,064
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 710
- Follower cases 508
- Hive up 444
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 410
- corporate hierarchy 402
- LIVE chat, starting now 380
- Advice - 217
- Amortisation of Goodwill 189
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 183