Transfer of Equity
Take an investor in property who has an income of £160,000 and a number of flats bought in the late 1990’s typically worth three to four times their original cost.
The investor wishes to make ongoing payments of £20k to charity,
Some of these flats have a higher rental yield than others and they wish to sell one of the lower yielding ones.
Take one property that cost £50k and is now worth about £190k.
Could they transfer a third of the equity in the flat they wish to sell each year to a charity?
Ideally to a body like the Charaties Aid foundation. It is possible to transfer shares to this body which sells them and the giver receives tax relief . They can then use the proceeds to make payments to a charity of their choice.
Say the giver gave the flat to the charaties aid foundation in three steps.
So say transferring a third in March 2013 . Then a third March 2014 and finally a third in April 2014.
So for this tax year and the following two tax years taxable income would be reduce by about £60k each.
In April 2014 the property would be wholly owned by the Charaties Aid Founation and the giver would be able to use the sales proceeds to give to charaties of their choice.
The goal beeing to use the sales proceeds of the flat to give to charity whilst getting income tax relief and avoiding CGT.
- Gift or Capital Gain? 233 6
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 71 1
- Federation Accounts 342 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 518 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 265 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 97 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 183 4
- Late reply from HMRC 238 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 280 6
- VAT silly question 2,347 55
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,640 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,412 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,787 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 498 11
- Classic cars investment 192 5
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 205 3
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 229 8
- RTI - new employee 191 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 604 22
- H&W company 138 2
- Benchmarking 482
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 400
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 345
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 203
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 198
- Income tax on foreign dividends 184
- Clubs and Taxable Income 182
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 179