Transfer of Equity
Take an investor in property who has an income of £160,000 and a number of flats bought in the late 1990’s typically worth three to four times their original cost.
The investor wishes to make ongoing payments of £20k to charity,
Some of these flats have a higher rental yield than others and they wish to sell one of the lower yielding ones.
Take one property that cost £50k and is now worth about £190k.
Could they transfer a third of the equity in the flat they wish to sell each year to a charity?
Ideally to a body like the Charaties Aid foundation. It is possible to transfer shares to this body which sells them and the giver receives tax relief . They can then use the proceeds to make payments to a charity of their choice.
Say the giver gave the flat to the charaties aid foundation in three steps.
So say transferring a third in March 2013 . Then a third March 2014 and finally a third in April 2014.
So for this tax year and the following two tax years taxable income would be reduce by about £60k each.
In April 2014 the property would be wholly owned by the Charaties Aid Founation and the giver would be able to use the sales proceeds to give to charaties of their choice.
The goal beeing to use the sales proceeds of the flat to give to charity whilst getting income tax relief and avoiding CGT.
- Am i Liable? 812 20
- Boffin of the Year 189 8
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 452 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 33 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 42 2
- Giving a seminar 644 35
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 896 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 340 3
- Sole trader - bank statements 322 14
- PAYE versus Dividends 120 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 438 9
- equipment rental 72 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 382 16
- Non sequitur 174 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,196 63
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 577 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 129 3
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 265 9
- Joint Filing Help 167 3
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 246 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,282
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 633
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 418
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 326
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 244
- Alphabet shares 216
- Agent fees to sell business 206
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 202
- Office recharges 162
- Tax position on lease extension 157