Transfer of Equity
Take an investor in property who has an income of £160,000 and a number of flats bought in the late 1990’s typically worth three to four times their original cost.
The investor wishes to make ongoing payments of £20k to charity,
Some of these flats have a higher rental yield than others and they wish to sell one of the lower yielding ones.
Take one property that cost £50k and is now worth about £190k.
Could they transfer a third of the equity in the flat they wish to sell each year to a charity?
Ideally to a body like the Charaties Aid foundation. It is possible to transfer shares to this body which sells them and the giver receives tax relief . They can then use the proceeds to make payments to a charity of their choice.
Say the giver gave the flat to the charaties aid foundation in three steps.
So say transferring a third in March 2013 . Then a third March 2014 and finally a third in April 2014.
So for this tax year and the following two tax years taxable income would be reduce by about £60k each.
In April 2014 the property would be wholly owned by the Charaties Aid Founation and the giver would be able to use the sales proceeds to give to charaties of their choice.
The goal beeing to use the sales proceeds of the flat to give to charity whilst getting income tax relief and avoiding CGT.
- VAT on motor expenses 881 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 44 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 47 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,699 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,292 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 81 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 275 12
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 132 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 154 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 181 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 152 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 736 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 382 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 199 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 323 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 105 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 388 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 91 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 322 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 401 9
- Skandia using wrong address 1,542
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 848
- International interest certificate 467
- NOVA 325
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 225
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 216
- Bonus Bonds 206
- Management expenses for investment company 202
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 195
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 181