Transfer of Equity
Take an investor in property who has an income of £160,000 and a number of flats bought in the late 1990’s typically worth three to four times their original cost.
The investor wishes to make ongoing payments of £20k to charity,
Some of these flats have a higher rental yield than others and they wish to sell one of the lower yielding ones.
Take one property that cost £50k and is now worth about £190k.
Could they transfer a third of the equity in the flat they wish to sell each year to a charity?
Ideally to a body like the Charaties Aid foundation. It is possible to transfer shares to this body which sells them and the giver receives tax relief . They can then use the proceeds to make payments to a charity of their choice.
Say the giver gave the flat to the charaties aid foundation in three steps.
So say transferring a third in March 2013 . Then a third March 2014 and finally a third in April 2014.
So for this tax year and the following two tax years taxable income would be reduce by about £60k each.
In April 2014 the property would be wholly owned by the Charaties Aid Founation and the giver would be able to use the sales proceeds to give to charaties of their choice.
The goal beeing to use the sales proceeds of the flat to give to charity whilst getting income tax relief and avoiding CGT.
- Outsourcing Payroll 143 2
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 143 1
- sage 159 4
- R&D tax credits 45 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 172 6
- Improvements to leasehold property and Capital Allowances 44 1
- Annual Report - How to? 376 14
- Double entry 213 5
- FBI2 210 4
- Companies House 177 3
- Interprise software 96 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 517 19
- Charity accounting 269 6
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 157 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,077 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 228 3
- Clients 934 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 303 12
- Accountants not providing all required information 303 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 314 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 546
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 304
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 299
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 267
- Overdrawn director account 222
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 204