Transfer of Equity
Take an investor in property who has an income of £160,000 and a number of flats bought in the late 1990’s typically worth three to four times their original cost.
The investor wishes to make ongoing payments of £20k to charity,
Some of these flats have a higher rental yield than others and they wish to sell one of the lower yielding ones.
Take one property that cost £50k and is now worth about £190k.
Could they transfer a third of the equity in the flat they wish to sell each year to a charity?
Ideally to a body like the Charaties Aid foundation. It is possible to transfer shares to this body which sells them and the giver receives tax relief . They can then use the proceeds to make payments to a charity of their choice.
Say the giver gave the flat to the charaties aid foundation in three steps.
So say transferring a third in March 2013 . Then a third March 2014 and finally a third in April 2014.
So for this tax year and the following two tax years taxable income would be reduce by about £60k each.
In April 2014 the property would be wholly owned by the Charaties Aid Founation and the giver would be able to use the sales proceeds to give to charaties of their choice.
The goal beeing to use the sales proceeds of the flat to give to charity whilst getting income tax relief and avoiding CGT.
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,358 422
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 289 7
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 66 1
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 53 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 274 1
- References for clients 84 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 977 49
- corp tax software 282 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 175 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 138 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 547 24
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 339 16
- Is this fraud? 553 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 90 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 277 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 97 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 161 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 158 1
- Naming new company 324 6
- Saying goodbye 562 14
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,288
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 458
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 160
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 144
- CIS paid under reg 9 133