Transfer of Equity
Take an investor in property who has an income of £160,000 and a number of flats bought in the late 1990’s typically worth three to four times their original cost.
The investor wishes to make ongoing payments of £20k to charity,
Some of these flats have a higher rental yield than others and they wish to sell one of the lower yielding ones.
Take one property that cost £50k and is now worth about £190k.
Could they transfer a third of the equity in the flat they wish to sell each year to a charity?
Ideally to a body like the Charaties Aid foundation. It is possible to transfer shares to this body which sells them and the giver receives tax relief . They can then use the proceeds to make payments to a charity of their choice.
Say the giver gave the flat to the charaties aid foundation in three steps.
So say transferring a third in March 2013 . Then a third March 2014 and finally a third in April 2014.
So for this tax year and the following two tax years taxable income would be reduce by about £60k each.
In April 2014 the property would be wholly owned by the Charaties Aid Founation and the giver would be able to use the sales proceeds to give to charaties of their choice.
The goal beeing to use the sales proceeds of the flat to give to charity whilst getting income tax relief and avoiding CGT.
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 558 13
- Vat threshold issues 87 2
- Growing pains 352 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 234 14
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 63 1
- Consequential loss claim 111 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 187 5
- ATT Annual Return Problems 115 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 103 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 330 5
- private to company car? 184 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 952 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 581 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 143 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 228 1
- Partner with an IVA 168 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 592 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 419 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 311 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 233 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 457
- CTA study material 416
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 302
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 282
- Pre incorp expenses 273
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 244
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 232
- Slight twist on employment related securities 209
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 180
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 177