Transfer of Equity
Take an investor in property who has an income of £160,000 and a number of flats bought in the late 1990’s typically worth three to four times their original cost.
The investor wishes to make ongoing payments of £20k to charity,
Some of these flats have a higher rental yield than others and they wish to sell one of the lower yielding ones.
Take one property that cost £50k and is now worth about £190k.
Could they transfer a third of the equity in the flat they wish to sell each year to a charity?
Ideally to a body like the Charaties Aid foundation. It is possible to transfer shares to this body which sells them and the giver receives tax relief . They can then use the proceeds to make payments to a charity of their choice.
Say the giver gave the flat to the charaties aid foundation in three steps.
So say transferring a third in March 2013 . Then a third March 2014 and finally a third in April 2014.
So for this tax year and the following two tax years taxable income would be reduce by about £60k each.
In April 2014 the property would be wholly owned by the Charaties Aid Founation and the giver would be able to use the sales proceeds to give to charaties of their choice.
The goal beeing to use the sales proceeds of the flat to give to charity whilst getting income tax relief and avoiding CGT.
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 719 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 816 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 354 5
- Paying Son 777 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 399 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 282 10
- Love is in the air 650 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,066 47
- Setting up a practice 594 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 580 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 527 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 451 1
- Stamp Duty 310 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 244 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,842 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 428 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 604 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 595 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 441 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 408 9
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 297
- Foreign domicile status 289
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 244
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 232
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 229