Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- PRR 212 12
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 183 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,087 55
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 149 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 74 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,458 424
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 258 7
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 285 4
- corp tax software 342 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 436 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 459 7
- Which tax box 181 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 106 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 225 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 203 6
- References for clients 195 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 145 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 111 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 315 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 140 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,296
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 461
- National Insurance 359
- Non Resident 277
- Franchise income and costs 254
- Hands on experience of Digita 208
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 168
- Employer's Helpline 158
- employment capital allowances 150
- CIS paid under reg 9 140