Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 186 3
- Money Laundering Manual 234 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 324 8
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 720 24
- VAT with Russia 49 1
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,011 28
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 163 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,108 9
- CGT on Let Property 213 4
- Business only use of company car 562 22
- valuation of vehicles 278 14
- Director registration for SA question 144 8
- New Company reviews please 404 10
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 133 1
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 428 7
- directors loan 174 5
- RTI Mess 499 9
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 351 13
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 357 3
- CIS not deducted 265 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 274
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 234
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 230
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 207
- Any thoughts on Capium? 186
- Expenses Software 185
- cgt quoted shares losses 175
- auto enrolment 170
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- Car Capital Contribution 153