Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- The stupidity continues 441 18
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 156 5
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 85 1
- transactions after account have been closed 95 3
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,314 25
- New Employers Helpline 182 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 171 3
- Software recommendations 241 1
- Share transfer question 359 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 295 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 157 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,408 19
- Overlap relief 750 19
- What is IRIS World like? 351 8
- Pension contributions 368 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 484 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 181 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 477 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 268 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 206 1
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 436
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 431
- WIP Software 293
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 287
- No payroll scheme in place 231
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 205
- Is there anything wrong with this? 198
- Small Part Disposal of Property 181
- Uncommercial property business 176