Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,362 39
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 78 1
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,216 10
- The importance of Grammar 1,292 38
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 121 3
- Profit split from an investment property 137 5
- VAT - How hard is it? 697 25
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 106 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 266 6
- tax saving on card points 233 6
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 913 14
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 251 9
- Scissors 866 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 434 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 446 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 239 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 119 2
- Xero Pain Points 497 17
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 339 8
- VAT and Groups 86 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 370
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 321
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 306
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 295
- Electric Car 249
- S222 Charge 217
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 214
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 200
- Company Structure 195
- VAT and customer entertaining 178