Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- Child benefit charge 829 14
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 273 19
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 266 14
- Non resident income. 157 9
- Taxable income from property and separation 54 2
- Goodwill adjustment 144 4
- Use of home deduction 317 11
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 953 29
- smp employee made redundant 91 1
- Do you lose losses on cessation 405 11
- How do you get HMRC to pay you SMP? 170 3
- Online SA303 Nine Digit UTR 157 4
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 158 4
- Software 103 2
- Notice of Coding 0T but not Month 1 269 7
- Knuckle down one week to go! 974 21
- client can't/won't pay 1,308 22
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,327 79
- Self assessment help 156 1
- Worried over stock value 432 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 843
- Copy Wanted 577
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 523
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 503
- Latest phishing scam 376
- Entrepreneurs' relief 353
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 314
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 300
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 291
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 202