Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- CT loss memorandum 42 1
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 192 3
- Property Development 386 9
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 255 6
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 218 5
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 225 6
- Sage Import Data 47 1
- MAAT vs ACCA 2,222 41
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 235 4
- How do you account in the VAT return for 145 2
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 446 12
- Directors/owners taking too much cash... 1,433 16
- Any Need to Formally "Sack" Client Company? 244 3
- Which address 286 9
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 571 7
- Night out allowance 250 1
- Spanish Tax Return 156 5
- Accounts/CT600 Filing HMRC & Companies House 120 1
- Missing accountant! 1,042 4
- Invoicing clients System? 315 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 411
- CTA study material 374
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 277
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 253
- Pre incorp expenses 213
- new capital structure ltd with investors 207
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 205
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 188
- Slight twist on employment related securities 178
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 123