Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- break even point 574 18
- How much to charge? 158 3
- Simple consolidation question 76 2
- Income tax on foreign dividends 217 1
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 381 10
- Capital Gain? 484 13
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 985 27
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 142 4
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 399 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 200 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 257 5
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 96 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 146 4
- IHT Query 219 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 434 2
- BrightPay 688 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 238 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 452 8
- Gift or Capital Gain? 382 11
- SDLT on leases 135 1
- Possible Partnership? 462
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 436
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 427
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 232
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 224
- Clubs and Taxable Income 215
- New Fangled Penalties 210
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 209
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 180
- Loans to other companies 164