Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 38 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,700 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 223 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 364 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 264 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 211 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 898 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 172 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 102 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 191 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 391 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 333 9
- Merging my businesses 137 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,724 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 517 16
- VAT on commercial property 147 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,047 49
- deceased creditor 207 5
- Corporate member of LLP 280 1
- Investment company 273 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 781
- RTI - duplicate employee record 537
- Pensions Regulator 444
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 404
- Sage Vat return box 2 307
- Sanzar 305
- Digital marketing focus group 288
- How do you do it 279
- Portia ... Where art thou 264
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 259