Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- Accounting for a finance lease 15 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 447 24
- SA302's anyone?? 382 14
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 47 1
- Tax status of prizes 234 15
- Clogged Losses 218 4
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 76 3
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 273 5
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 182 2
- Receiving dividends from a pension fund? 76 5
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 156 3
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 124 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 314 9
- Bookkeping software 552 5
- VAT MOSS - e-services query 93 1
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 347 12
- clg 136 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,455 38
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 306 6
- VAT errors 191 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,608
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 890
- International interest certificate 500
- NOVA 360
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 268
- Bonus Bonds 252
- Management expenses for investment company 251
- Help with tax codes on Sage 199
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 164
- tax on apprenticeship income 154