Travel Agents Commission
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place now.
I have been approached by an LLP who operate as travel consultants. The two partners were previously employed by The Original Travel Co Ltd and still operate from the same premises. The equipment still belongs to the Ltd Co and the LLP are simply allowed to use it. A 25% commission is paid to the LLP by the Ltd Co on the sales it generates which covers rent, rates, heat and light. They are also recharged for advertising, telephone and stationery expenses and this is deducted from their commission.
All monies from clients are paid direct to the Ltd Co and the commission is paid to the LLP once a month. The LLP incur a small amount of other expenditure ie postage, advertising display etc and these are the only monetary transactions going through the company as the Ltd Co pay the tour operators.
I am trying to establish whether the commission is taxable as they may well reach the threshold for VAT registration. The LLP think the commission is not taxable and that they do not need to register. One of the partners was previously in partnership with her husband selling financial services and advice where a lot of their turnover was commission. Their turnover was well over the registration threshold and they were not VAT registered and they are presuming that all commission received works the same way.
I have searched through HMRCs vat guidance and cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone have a similar client or know whether they should be VAT registered if they reach the threshold? Any advice would be gratefully received.
- Tasks for new trainees 160 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 273 10
- VAT on garage rent 141 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 92 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 803 17
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 162 3
- Property scam victim 317 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 244 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 58 1
- Have i messed up? 750 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 424 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 58 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 113 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 73 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 76 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 571 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 107 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,651 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 265 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,819 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,094
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 576
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 384
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 289
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 190
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 175
- Agent fees to sell business 165
- Alphabet shares 161
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 155