Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 439 18
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 473 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 268 4
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 114 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 892 29
- New Company reviews please 506 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 264 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 141 2
- VAT with Russia 177 2
- Business only use of company car 647 25
- valuation of vehicles 349 15
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 225 4
- Money Laundering Manual 288 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 230 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,085 29
- directors loan 314 8
- Director registration for SA question 319 11
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 357 4
- CIS not deducted 340 5
- Car Capital Contribution 185 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 287
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 237
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 236
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 212
- Any thoughts on Capium? 210
- Expenses Software 190
- auto enrolment 180
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 173
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 148
- How to account for investment in JV? 147