Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Business Christmas Greetings 961 18
- tax credits 186 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,001 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 77 1
- LLP - Member leaving 178 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 722 21
- Year end 220 3
- Foreign income for self employed 162 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 285 9
- what time is it ? 176 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 296 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,115 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 238 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 597 21
- How would you account for warranty? 174 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 412 22
- Sweet Tooth 220 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 194 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 152 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 894
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 333
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 251
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 245
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 194
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 174
- Charge out rates in London? 153