Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Company asserts 91 1
- VAT on unused stock 50 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 124 4
- Can't find a good web address 167 3
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 184 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 207 5
- effective advertising 240 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 190 8
- Software recommendations 313 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 151 3
- Edible spam? 804 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 307 5
- Put fees on website 291 6
- Director resignation 230 4
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,549 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,332 4
- Sigma Red 1,418 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 346 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 114 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 194 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 480
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 466
- WIP Software 338
- No payroll scheme in place 292
- Is there anything wrong with this? 260
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 255
- Small Part Disposal of Property 230
- Uncommercial property business 229
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 194
- SA Penalty 183