Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Invoice Help 394 11
- CGT 34 2
- is my company accounts right? 807 22
- Corporate shareholder question 188 3
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 260 4
- What can my client claim r & d on? 82 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,012 28
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 393 9
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 371 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 86 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,508 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,559 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 121 1
- P11D Dispensation 109 1
- I have missing sales invoices 384 5
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 276 8
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 375 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,037 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,062 26
- Directors Subsistence 234 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 556
- Cancelled 320
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 320
- Cancelled 269
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 223
- Probiz 212
- What's the market like for temps? 201
- CIS Deductions 171
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 163