Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 517 22
- Rent A Room 147 6
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 305 7
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 233 7
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 757 25
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 1,387 10
- Scissors 499 19
- MLRO and deputy? 72 2
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 327 1
- Taxcalc 682 21
- Xero Pain Points 372 15
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 247 3
- Foreign Intern - Accommodation Allowance 106 1
- Renting home garage and outbuildings to Business 246 5
- Moneysoft - technical query 451 12
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,412 11
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 690 11
- Giving investment company to spouse 109 2
- Recommendations for in house accounts prep software? 134 2
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 280 5
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 364
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 305
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 283
- Electric Car 236
- S222 Charge 211
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 203
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 196
- Company Structure 185
- VAT and customer entertaining 166