Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 247 5
- Bank Statement Scanning Software? 141 2
- Work to Rented Business Premises 154 1
- Not a question but made my day 1,166 23
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 384 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,150 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 134 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 266 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 165 2
- V T Software 213 2
- Thinning income 346 3
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 140 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 349 4
- tax credits 279 4
- Past rental expenses 127 1
- What do do about VAT? 553 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 292 5
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 194 2
- Audacity 1,329 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 696 8
- NHS finance professionals 599
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 390
- Foreign Pension Contribution 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 334
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 325
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 306
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 273
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 230
- IFA income recognition & reporting 200
- Incorporating doctors 193