Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 69 3
- Why do I do this every year 441 10
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 281 22
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 132 3
- Payment of tax due on 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return 61 1
- Hobby Horse 807 8
- Non resident income. 462 20
- What sectors to target? 619 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 271 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 194 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,954 41
- Self assesment online 1,010 11
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 309 5
- closing limited company 198 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 124 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 543 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 261 9
- IHT and US resident 80 1
- Limited Companies Merger 217 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 146 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 937
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 653
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 605
- Latest phishing scam 581
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 420
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 316
- Scratch Head 245
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 239
- Sabbatical payments 201
- Negligible Value Claim 179