Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 210 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 12 1
- CIS and Close Company 56 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 208 4
- Secondment expenses 137 3
- VAT Option to tax 434 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 91 4
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 131 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 78 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 86 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 125 3
- VAT Registration 317 5
- should Van be included in plant or motor vehicles? 79 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 235 6
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 113 3
- How far back can you get dates of property purchases 66 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,250 19
- husband and wife dividends 409 11
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 150 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 310 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 903
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 634
- Free Tax Legislation? 394
- Director Loan account operation 393
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 317
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 313
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 219
- Paye procedures for CVA 216
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 177