Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- You know its over 58 2
- Cocaine anyone? 358 7
- TaxCalc Accounts production 369 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 366 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 609 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 488 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 511 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 31 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 85 7
- Personal pension 378 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 203 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,184 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 873 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 87 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,495 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 300 4
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 272 1
- Tax return software for remote working 500 4
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 467 9
- How to purchase business premises? 201 2
- Hive up 478
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 441
- corporate hierarchy 419
- Advice - 256
- Amortisation of Goodwill 229
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 214
- WWOOFers 207
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 196
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 185
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 161