Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Real names 1,080 33
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 55 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,362 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 641 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 224 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 55 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 119 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 265 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,567 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,941 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,928 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 69 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 115 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 162 4
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 470 22
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 100 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 87 1
- Tax position re this lease? 159 2
- VAT on Training Courses 141 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 139 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 577
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 274
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 267
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 258
- Cancelled 199
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 170