Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 196 2
- PPR on a development? 215 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 282 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 300 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 869 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,772 15
- Cloud accounting package 163 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,013 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 500 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 292 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 185 3
- Next Move 381 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 410 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 219 4
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 345 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 717 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 300 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 199 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,268 34
- Casual Driver 287 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 634
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 395
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 377
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- 2015 tax year end 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 234
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 225
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 222