Is this true re Child Support Agency and service companies
I have been told by a divorcing dad that CSA ignore his dividend income when computing his income for child support maintenace. This seems bizarre to say the least. He has been running a successful business (not anywhere close to IR35 related contracting work) through a limited company for around 10 years.
Like most other sole shareholder companies he draws a minimal salary and votes himself the balance by way of dividends. I was shocked to hear that the CSA are only interested in his salary. The level of dividends he draws (or indeed could draw, were he to allow funds to build up in his company) is irrelevant apparently.
My friend is very willing to pay significant child maintenance for his son and can afford to pay more than the minimum. However this is all that CSA will direct him to pay due to their antiquated processes and systems. They also refuse to communicate by email.
He tells me that in trying to explain the position to CSA they indicated they are aware of the gap in the rules as they suspect many reluctant fathers leave their jobs and then get re-engaged on a contract basis through a service company so as to reduce the level of their relevant income for child support purposes.
This all sounds quite disgraceful - if it's true. Do any readers of AccountingWeb know what the position is here and how common it is?
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 80 4
- SA316s 243 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 60 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 168 4
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 91 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 125 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 957 46
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 592 13
- Filing amended tax return 119 1
- Tier One Tribunal 210 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 828 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 122 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 127 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 259 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 162 2
- Another transfer of property 154 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 226 7
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 205 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 201 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 567 14
- Construction CIS LLP Company 613
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 598
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 358
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 296
- Using the correct forms 271
- RTI - duplicate employee record 266
- SA penalty proposals 259
- Accelerated payment notices 240
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 236