Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- Software for Accounts layout 380 8
- Income prior to company formation 351 10
- rental property, pre letting costs 156 4
- Staff 145 3
- VAT on farm machinery sold 361 7
- Non-resident company director 105 2
- are we that stupid 955 21
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 142 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 743 13
- letter of reference 193 3
- Can this be done? 190 1
- Capital Allowance & AIA 125 1
- Foster Care 126 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 351 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 102 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 301 3
- Flat Management Company 216 1
- Share structure questions - close company 195 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 182 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 344 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 331
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 251
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 217
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 217
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 161
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 155
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 153
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148