Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- Failure to operate PAYE 51 1
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 92 1
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,136 85
- Where can I get the information for this 376 7
- BrightPay 373 9
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 216 3
- CGT &LLP 84 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 549 4
- Setting up an offshore company 119 1
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 188 16
- Secure document exchange 140 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 164 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 397 7
- break even point 183 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 120 3
- Fax to email providers 327 11
- Payroll software 261 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 152 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 146 4
- How to issue shares to investors 103 1