Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 906 13
- Know it alls (who don't) 245 8
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 350 7
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 221 4
- VAT & Landlords 197 6
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 77 2
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 167 5
- Tax advice person/business 223 2
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 662 15
- Extraction of Factory from Trading Company and Leaseback 94 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 529 17
- Loan write off by Company 69 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 174 3
- Late P45 123 2
- Auto enrolment and husband & Wife companies 416 2
- Share swap 362 11
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 64 1
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 244 10
- Residential leeting and repairs 102 2
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 235 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,561
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 858
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 244
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 234
- Management expenses for investment company 222
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 201
- Check my logic on this please? 179