Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 42 1
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 239 2
- Wear and tear allowance 270 4
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 598 24
- Husband and Wife Holiday letting profit split 74 3
- tax insider 348 5
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 500 19
- Tax on sale of shares 60 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 213 2
- late payroll registration 74 1
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 466 18
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 47 2
- Profit and Loss Account Adjustments 184 7
- Expenses paid by director (the owner) 250 4
- Breaking Up A Property Company 267 2
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 234 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 528 8
- Declaration of Trust 572 20
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 77 1
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 97 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,417
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 728
- Any views 663
- HMRC Employers Diary 496
- International interest certificate 412
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 370
- Sale of business 322
- NOVA 229
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 227
- Advertising services? 221