Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 113 1
- Not paying accountant 1,767 45
- How much does the company pay 555 23
- Cash basis VAT return 57 1
- I have done a terrible thing 638 14
- VAT on Business Premises 68 2
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 49 1
- Consolidation Software 129 2
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 442 11
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,009 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,160 32
- Anyone else still working this week? 307 9
- HMRC property income enquiry 284 6
- LLp Profits 137 5
- two business from one premises 132 2
- AIA 243 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 344 20
- partnership tax return 163 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 195 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 114 2
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 503
- corporate hierarchy 465
- Advice - 317
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 266
- WWOOFers 256
- The booking.com con 237
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 234
- Cocaine anyone? 218
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 214
- UK State pension paid in NZ 174