Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 143 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,042 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 370 4
- Setting up a practice 387 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 500 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 461 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 276 1
- Love is in the air 545 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 656 17
- Stamp Duty 294 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,810 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 595 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 277 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 263 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 574 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 582 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 391 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 396 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 459 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 303
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 292
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 276
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 254
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 240
- Apprenticeship Levy 238
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 214