Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 584 9
- 31st october deadline 354 6
- Property gift to sister 71 4
- RTI Late Registration query 132 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 210 2
- Payroll software 131 1
- Who gets the CGT deduction 205 2
- Accounting for display stands 227 7
- Companies House Search 292 3
- VAT training 244 4
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 251 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,508 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 295 3
- A Friday Funny. 309 5
- Something for the weekend? 243 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 553 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,250 19
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,537 26
- Coming out of flat rate 154 1
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,602 27
- NHS finance professionals 707
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 401
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 383
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 383
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 336
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 301
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 279
- IFA income recognition & reporting 224
- Incorporating doctors 217