Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- Closing my business down 59 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 836 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 254 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 248 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 190 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 78 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 580 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,238 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,462 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 183 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 90 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 284 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 82 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,089 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 404 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 146 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 215 3
- FPS or EPS 162 2
- Continuity of Practice 216 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 141 2
- Moving away from CCH software 953
- QROP pension input amounts 440
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 382
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 357
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 257
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 228
- Construction CIS LLP Company 212
- EPS and CIS deductions 199