Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 271 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 827 20
- The importance of Grammar 897 24
- New starter - tax code 177 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 114 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,684 60
- PI cover 98 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 124 2
- HMRC site down ? 161 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 139 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 201 3
- Xero Pain Points 256 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 92 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 119 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 160 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 380 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 152 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 593 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 234 3
- Childcare 275 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 272
- Electric Car 222
- S222 Charge 202
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 196
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 174