Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration
I run a UK private limited company that produces software for direct sale online (no reseller). At present, we're not VAT-registered.
The HMRC guidance (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm) says:
You don't need to include supplies you make in other countries when calculating your VAT taxable turnover for registration purposes - so leave out of your calculation any goods and services you supply where the place of supply is another country rather than the UK.
My understanding is that software sold online is considered to be a service rather than goods. As such, I think I'm correct in saying that the place of supply for my software is the UK under current rules for B2C sales (and is the purchaser's country for B2B, with the caveats of "use and enjoyment" rules).
However, the forthcoming changes in January 2015 will change the B2C rules so that the place of supply is the consumer's location.
As far as the £81,000 threshold is concerned for VAT registration, my working assumption is that I'll actually end up with more headroom under the threshold as a result of these changes since sales that would once have counted as UK sales for VAT purposes no longer will.
I'm also assuming that distance selling rules only apply to goods and not services, so I won't need to register to pay VAT in other countries if I tip the balance over their respective distance selling thresholds as a result of these changes.
Are my understanding and my assumptions all correct? Are there any other impacts I've not thought of?
Thanks in advance!
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 109 4
- White van man 411 20
- Writing down allowance / AIA 100 4
- Worried over stock value 204 4
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 76 1
- foreign income 121 2
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 175 9
- Window Comb Binder Cover 301 5
- STUDENT LOAN 82 1
- Bookkeeping question 595 6
- wave software 224 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 354 8
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 234 3
- Backdate C79? 166 2
- Entertaining - definition? 307 2
- Do you lose losses on cessation 366 10
- SA1 Online 102 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 103 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 98 2
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 359 9
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 823
- Copy Wanted 548
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 506
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 487
- Latest phishing scam 345
- Entrepreneurs' relief 317
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 287
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 274
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 182