This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Which software for practice books? 300 7
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 114 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,619 33
- Accountant software 283 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 438 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 67 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 415 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 221 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,875 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 67 1
- Renting property to yourself 307 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 383 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 98 4
- register as self employed? 120 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 138 1
- VAT enquiry 86 1
- Write off of former director's loan 227 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 258 4
- Capital gain or not? 146 3
- EC VAT 161 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 638
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 485
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 276
- How to format a stock book 232
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 195
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 183
- Tax efficient holding company structure 174
- Investment property company accounts template 162
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 154