This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 192 5
- Newly Started Practice 213 6
- Commission on holiday accrual 74 1
- error on companies house accounts 132 4
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 161 2
- HMRC computer behind the times 197 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 113 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 101 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 352 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 241 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 171 2
- Generic Notification Notices 132 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 452 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 120 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 438 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 99 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 247 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 149 1
- fraud 418 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 246 3
- QROP pension input amounts 477
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 441
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 418
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 269
- EPS and CIS deductions 261
- Construction CIS LLP Company 248
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 215
- SAGE winforecast 181
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166