This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 221 7
- Group Audit Thresholds 334 10
- One off meeting new client 1,645 16
- Legal title not in the company name 731 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,162 63
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 232 3
- inheritance tax 318 10
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 516 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 173 3
- NALS Accountants Report 338 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,225 44
- Farm barn lettings 216 4
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 289 4
- Deduction from Salary 604 14
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 189 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 287 7
- Sole properietor 406 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,574 12
- Pay in Lieu of notice 287 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 232 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 638
- Cancelled 391
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 305
- Probiz 296
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 274
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 254
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196