This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 109 2
- Capital Gain? 509 14
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 201 5
- Sell business after leaving country 113 2
- How much to charge? 229 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 157 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 638 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 241 2
- break even point 593 18
- Simple consolidation question 109 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 388 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 998 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 404 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 205 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 278 5
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 113 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 168 4
- IHT Query 238 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 447 2
- BrightPay 695 22
- Possible Partnership? 464
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 441
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 429
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 232
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 227
- Clubs and Taxable Income 217
- New Fangled Penalties 216
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 212
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 184
- Loans to other companies 167