This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 99 3
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 246 15
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,307 16
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 288 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 141 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 143 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 179 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,250 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 125 2
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 114 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 377 7
- Wear and tear allowance 451 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 198 6
- Residency test 199 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 243 3
- VAT Turnover 138 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 145 1
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 133 4
- Company purchase of shares 290 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 142 2
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 690
- Auto enrolment excuses 661
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 365
- Social investment tax relief 181
- Call Centre Data Costs 178
- Digita Hosted Software 176
- option to tax 161
- VAT on deposits 148
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 136
- Travel costs and contractors 130