This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- business entertaining deductibility 238 2
- Flat Rate VAT 146 1
- SA302 382 8
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 490 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 404 8
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 448 5
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 428 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 199 2
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 205 5
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,525 41
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 151 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 257 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,252 19
- Go Cardless 407 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 362 3
- Mehjoo 358 2
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 206 4
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 305 13
- Bringing money to Uk 318 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 228 4
- Xtuple 527
- Qtac payroll for bureau 359
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 303
- Industrial & Provident Societies 296
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 241
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 222
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 219
- Domain name sale and limited company 186
- CIS schemes 183
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 161