This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- VAT Direct Debit 281 4
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,376 39
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 200 6
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 359 7
- Self-assessment statistics 2,321 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 129 11
- OneNote is fantastic 307 10
- Owning overseas property 158 1
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 344 7
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 264 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 261 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 667 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,122 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 99 1
- PPR on a development? 231 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 371 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 915 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,796 15
- Cloud accounting package 212 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,031 39
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 638
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 397
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 374
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 230
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 227
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 215