This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Xerocon 2016 1,048 27
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,196 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 267 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 293 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 619 12
- Personal Tax 526 11
- USA Tax Query 196 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,671 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 952 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 321 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 609 18
- Corrupt Excel File 676 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 357 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,987 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 291 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 424 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 191 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 374 4
- last minute request 537 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,260 46