This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Put fees on website 75 3
- effective advertising 25 1
- Sigma Red 1,290 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 320 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 45 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 130 2
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 187 2
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 423 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 437 7
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 126 6
- VAT Variation Team 180 3
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 57 1
- Sage help please 286 4
- charges for storing documents 188 1
- Share scheme annual returns problem 65 1
- VAT in Eu 59 1
- Sage opening balance / retained profit nightmare! 123 2
- minimum shareholding 84 1
- Budget 2015 - take two 374 4
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 196 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 473
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 457
- WIP Software 327
- No payroll scheme in place 275
- Is there anything wrong with this? 249
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 243
- Small Part Disposal of Property 223
- Uncommercial property business 216
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 187
- SA Penalty 179