This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Starting up in practice - safety net 69 3
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 181 4
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 282 9
- Rental property company 96 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 264 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 245 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 376 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 139 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 182 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 310 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 143 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 477 5
- Director's tax return 390 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 178 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,126 34
- Flat rate vat 228 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 192 5
- Coming in from the cold 384 3
- Splitting the tax year 186 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 224 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 815
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 565
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 433
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 313
- Free Tax Legislation? 288
- Director Loan account operation 266
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 255
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 234
- Paye procedures for CVA 173