This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 595 5
- See you all on the other side 674 6
- 12Pay 437 2
- dividends 587 2
- R&D 305 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,164 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 432 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 392 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 361 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 536 5
- Seeking a tax case 634 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 493 4
- Companies house strike off 526 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 413 2
- Moving to the cloud 731 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 211 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 886 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 204 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,087 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 484 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 556
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 419
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 369
- IRIS and FRS 102 352
- Capitalising Finance Lease 319
- USA help 314
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 295
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 286
- Marginal rates of tax 275
- Capital gains on rental property 262