This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Anybody still doing returns? 696 30
- Clothing 502 13
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 92 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 153 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 56 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 340 16
- Designated sole Residence 128 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 709 15
- Anyone know what this is? 217 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 884 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 492 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 258 9
- no utr 277 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,114 49
- Director drawings 601 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 290 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 86 1
- Capital Loss 123 3
- LLP formed in 2013 97 1
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 192 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 950
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 672
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 621
- Latest phishing scam 597
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 434
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 323
- Scratch Head 260
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 253
- Sabbatical payments 213
- Negligible Value Claim 194