This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Capital allowances on taxis 55 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 382 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 290 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 259 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 87 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,763 65
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 278 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 905 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 204 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 134 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 196 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 409 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 342 9
- Merging my businesses 165 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,731 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 520 16
- VAT on commercial property 168 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,057 49
- deceased creditor 222 5
- Corporate member of LLP 285 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 784
- RTI - duplicate employee record 545
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 312
- Sanzar 308
- Digital marketing focus group 292
- Portia ... Where art thou 288
- How do you do it 282
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 261