This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Companies House Authentication code 66 2
- Payroll Software Recommendations 273 9
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 462 11
- Client refusing to change basis period 55 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 636 15
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 356 4
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 300 13
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,897 63
- Rights of Alphabet shares 332 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 240 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 105 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 280 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 397 4
- Domain name sale and limited company 272 1
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 276 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,814 14
- indexation factors 113 3
- Drector renting room to company 243 5
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 95 2
- Property Revaluation - Postings 111 2
- Xtuple 583
- Qtac payroll for bureau 410
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 353
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 226
- Tax on damages received 207
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 164
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 151
- PTP Software 144
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141