This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- OBK 307 12
- Proof of Delivery 184 7
- Mileage claim 156 7
- Auto-Enrolment 3,575 172
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 68 3
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 323 8
- Partially exempt? 108 2
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 222 9
- Property expense - legal fees 139 3
- Research expenses for authors 270 6
- Investor exit 79 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 126 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 239 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 121 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 136 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,701 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 415 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,766 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 134 2
- What type of Trust? 101 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 509
- Skandia using wrong address 459
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 246
- Employee rewards 245
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 214
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 197
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 158