This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Fees for Property Tax Return 370 8
- Corp Tax Refund 53 1
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 607 17
- PPR posers 189 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,521 466
- employment capital allowances 183 1
- RTI penalties coming in from 6/10/14 51 1
- Direct Debit - no receipts 341 6
- Does anyone use quotation software? 226 3
- VAT on Imports 45 1
- Use of home expenses Rent calculation 202 1
- Can't read my handwriting 376 9
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 215 2
- Annual PAYE schemes - Moneysoft 105 2
- Who is a Minister of Religion for Tax Purposes? 110 1
- corp tax software 789 11
- Audit partner? 120 3
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,558 71
- Overnight subsistence 134 2
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 665 13
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,352
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 500
- National Insurance 386
- Non Resident 309
- Hands on experience of Digita 231
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 206
- Employer's Helpline 181
- CIS paid under reg 9 168
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 139
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 134