This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 399 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 129 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 96 1
- Registered Office 151 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,485 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 313 5
- Partnership Registration 108 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 907 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 112 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 689 12
- Audit Required 1,187 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 308 9
- Residential Management Companies 92 2
- Value pricing 2,856 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 397 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 394 11
- Payroll software for Mac 122 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 122 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 218 5
- CIS and Close Company 209 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 945
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 661
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 399
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 332
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 261
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Paye procedures for CVA 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 200
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 193
- Pension Fixed Protection 189