This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- ACCA qualified but not enough 1,002 18
- Abortive legal fees deductible on sale? 44 1
- Sage Import Data 137 3
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 57 1
- Australian dividend 66 1
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 455 9
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 79 3
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 119 4
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 549 13
- updating shareholdings on companies house 61 1
- Spanish Tax Return 194 6
- Dividend Vouchers 205 3
- National Insurance. 245 2
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 117 1
- Directors and unemployment benefit 298 13
- Personal Contract Purchase 302 2
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 609 7
- new capital structure ltd with investors 262 3
- Have I made a mistake... 767 6
- Directors need for self assessment? 668 19
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 417
- CTA study material 380
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 279
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 258
- Pre incorp expenses 230
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 210
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 202
- Slight twist on employment related securities 187
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 134
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 128