This is the first time I have actually asked a question on here, although I do often look at other people's questions and answers.
I had been doing bookkeeping for a friend of a friend. He was always a nightmare re paying invoices, but did with gentle nudging and nagging. I had already made my mind up in August that I could no longer work for him (numerous reasons, but the lack of organisation on his part was becoming too much). When I met up with him to hand some paperwork over, he then announces that him and his business partner had had a falling out. It now meant that he was no longer part of the business and I would have to deal with the other partner (who I have never met or had dealings with).
I sent the other partner (who has relocated to Malta due to some issues working in UK?) a friendly email introducing myself, saying that I was happy to help with handover but that I would no longer be doing the books, and attached my unpaid invoice. The invoice was for 12 hours work, recharges for accounts system paid by my credit card and £28 unpaid from a previous invoice. The total invoice is only £371.
The reply came back asking for me to explain where all the hours have been used as they can't see much work on the system. In total I had only worked 85 hours - 40.5 for the previous year ending and 44.5 for the current year. I explained that yes there wasn't much to see on the system for this current year, as a lot of the work had been completed on spreadsheets and queries for old partner. The old partner used to give me bags and bags of invoices and receipts to wade through.
I had tried to just keep friendly email going to chase the money as I didn't think it would be an issue.
Where do I go from here?? Do I start from scratch and send first letter, etc?
I have never had to get heavy with chasing debts and I am unsure what if anything I can do. It is only a small debt, so I don't want it costing me loads to chase.
- HMRC Information notice 950 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 232 3
- Accountant Specialization. 334 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 177 3
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 100 1
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,280 29
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,703 42
- Sage Line 50 148 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 124 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 398 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 379 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 150 1
- Freelance/Employee 686 17
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 184 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 188 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 497 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 130 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 615 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 717 5
- Agent Authorisation Issue 223 2
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 750
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 409
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 294
- S222 Charge 242
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 197
- IP trans to holding company 191
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 177
- AIA 171
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 171