Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 147 4
- Sorry ignore me 833 23
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 250 6
- Invoice Help 159 4
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 124 1
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 276 6
- Employee overpaid who has left 166 3
- Peer to Peer lending 828 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 77 2
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 201 4
- Is this a scam? 491 6
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 276 6
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 241 5
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,234 17
- Childcare for clients 187 1
- One off meeting new client 556 9
- Employment allowance (again) :( 177 1
- illegal dividends 355 3
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 205 3
- VAT questions 315 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 619
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 527
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 381
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 291
- Cancelled 279
- Cancelled 241
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 184
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 184
- Probiz 166
- What's the market like for temps? 160