Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- Overseas bank interest 143 4
- Cash basis 298 9
- Contractor accommodation expenses 114 1
- Undeclared rental income 1,953 20
- Kasperskey - home pc 316 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 166 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 276 4
- Statutory sick pay 141 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,899 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,286 12
- Lorry Drivers 365 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 240 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,634 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 141 1
- PRR 587 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 220 2
- Partially exempt? 319 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 268 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 606 4
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 260 10
- Skandia using wrong address 534
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 291
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 287
- Employee rewards 278
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 250
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 243
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 232
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 177
- LLP in Construction Industry 141