Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 132 3
- Scoot 164 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 141 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 184 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 656 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,438 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 101 1
- Regaining my qualification 176 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 228 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 199 2
- Auto enrolment 184 3
- Shareholder agreement 165 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 193 3
- Company Reorganisation 157 3
- Employee Loan 198 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 459 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 582 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 140 1
- Wear and tear allowance 461 6
- Accountants' Error 666 12
- Skandia using wrong address 1,447
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 757
- Any views 692
- HMRC Employers Diary 520
- International interest certificate 422
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 384
- Sale of business 350
- NOVA 258
- Advertising services? 249
- IRIS Open Books problem 240