Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 67 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 220 13
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 164 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 391 17
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,104 32
- Giving a seminar 468 27
- deleting customers on Sage 50 86 4
- Interest on Loan to a Company 235 2
- Writing off bad debts 147 4
- Added years superannuation 23 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 93 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 333 7
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 47 1
- Care to help a student out? 250 9
- Residency 91 day rule 183 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 846 12
- Dazed & confused 1,324 9
- Altered PAYE cheque 127 3
- PAYE coding notices 103 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 672 17
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,190
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 598
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 402
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 185
- Agent fees to sell business 185
- Alphabet shares 182
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 174
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 150
- EBT 149