Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 497 16
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 204 4
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 300 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 207 6
- Auto Enrolment 93 1
- Not renewing AAT 856 11
- Company ceased trading 137 4
- Car benefit or not? 1,290 16
- Questions from Liquidator 2,123 22
- Casual Driver 406 6
- Email encryption 1,467 16
- New dividend taxation 729 4
- Another question on trusts and settlements 79 1
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,310 25
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 777 11
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 419 8
- Are Property Design Exhibitions Claimable 162 3
- Agent online self service 640 14
- Accountant won't release working papers 3,142 54
- What's the best software for this? 458 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 687
- Property letting & CAs 415
- 2015 tax year end 408
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 400
- FCA regulated company in a small group 353
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 329
- Costly Accounting Software contract 265
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- DTA tie-breaker issue 230
- Directors' advances and credits 226