Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 766 7
- HMRC Summons for £14k 174 2
- BrightPay 972 28
- Goodie bag 2,780 72
- Corporation Tax Software 307 9
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 63 1
- How many associated companies 128 2
- How do I save face? 1,838 14
- BIK for an electric car 91 1
- Signed accounts for a lender 382 17
- can I approach clients ? 816 11
- Regular Director bonus 267 5
- Secure document exchange 571 6
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 121 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 547 9
- FreeAgent question 310 8
- Mortgage interest 99 1
- Practising options 488 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 445 10
- Software recommendations? 394 5
- Possible Partnership? 678
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 530
- Fuming! 468
- New Fangled Penalties 462
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 329
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 269
- Moving away from CCH software 253
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 249
- Outsource Data Entry 249
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 197