Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- Time to ditch Sage? 143 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 245 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 133 2
- Non VAT invoices 125 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 268 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,358 32
- Fees 151 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 239 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 191 2
- Form 17 Download 104 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 540 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 985 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 373 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,751 42
- Sage Line 50 171 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 184 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 450 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 395 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 757
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 412
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 244
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 203
- IP trans to holding company 193
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 182
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177
- AIA 176