Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 292 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 422 6
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 157 4
- PRR 455 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 77 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 232 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 299 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 209 2
- cross border vat 119 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,922 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 781 17
- Can't read my handwriting 637 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,656 74
- Employing a carer 134 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 536 16
- Corp Tax Refund 176 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 408 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 285 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 100 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 240 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,374
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 520
- National Insurance 417
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 228
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 187
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 151