Unrecoverable VAT - VAT return treatment.
All these years and I've never given a real thought to this until now...
On VAT standard-rated purchase invoices on which the VAT is not recoverable or disallowed, eg entertaining expenses, what is the correct treatment for the net and VAT items? Presumably the net, because it is standard-rated, will be included in box 7 on the VAT 100, but what about the unrecoverable or disallowed VAT? Where should that be shown, if anywhere? It isn't outside the scope of VAT because it is VAT itself. It is based on a standard-rated item but HMRC clearly states that items entered in box 7 should not include any VAT.
If you add it to the net and show it in box 7, that is not a true figure. For years my staff have treated it as standard-rated and included it in with the net amount in box 7. Agreed, it needs adding to the net cost for accounting purposes, but how about for VAT return purposes?
HMRC website appears silent on the matter. Anyone any ideas or thoughts? Or is there a definitive answer?
- Spam blocking 648 35
- Does the AR01 reflect the actual money invested in a company 197 9
- Subject to tax and NIC? 93 3
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 278 9
- HMRC don't make it easy! 199 3
- Recouping VAT on third-party purchases 122 2
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 293 13
- Is interest still due? 217 4
- Spreadsheets - electronically owned data?? 143 3
- Intercompany advice 178 2
- Theatre Tax Relief 533 2
- Ex-gratia payments 351 7
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 203 5
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 220 4
- Just for fun. 961 32
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 118 1
- Has auto-enrolment tipped the scales? 283 3
- Excel Instances 135 2
- How to pay national insurance 580 17
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,770 13
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 391
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 386
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 354
- Perkbox 320
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 320
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 278
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 274
- Document Management Systems 259
- WIP Software 244
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 186