US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 61 5
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 364 1
- VAT Return Errors 77 1
- inflation rate year on year 101 3
- MAAT vs ACCA 643 12
- Yorkshire Day 559 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 142 4
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,813 65
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 138 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 356 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 116 3
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 588 1
- SMP reclaimable by employer 272 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 221 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 113 1
- Deleted question? 668 15
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 295 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 353 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 145 6
- E-Magazines and pdfs 148 3
- Cancelled 461
- Cancelled 381
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 374
- Probiz 352
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 254
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 232
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 225
- More spam 180
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 158
- Employee Benefit Trust 149