US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Sage Priority Support 82 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 678 18
- incorrect old p60 96 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 473 4
- VAT on new builds 104 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 341 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 116 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 106 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 122 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,829 26
- Missing tax return 160 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 917 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 273 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 155 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 551 18
- Physiotherapy 236 3
- Inflation and fees 1,214 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 158 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 277 8
- CGT help please 142 1