US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,325 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 169 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 189 2
- "Audit Report" 90 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 485 13
- Coding Notice 233 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 252 6
- New business - journal entries 416 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 228 3
- Payroll software 654 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 280 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 401 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 738 18
- B2B vat in the EU 195 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 204 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 238 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 201 4
- LLP as member of LLP 143 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,853 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 525 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 876
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 723
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 415
- Social investment tax relief 220
- Digita Hosted Software 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 204
- accounting for this transaction 198
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 174
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 174
- Travel costs and contractors 174