US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Xerocon 2016 890 18
- Disengagement Help! 1,568 24
- Corrupt Excel File 637 9
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 62 1
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,917 42
- 64-8's amazingly quick 128 4
- last minute request 392 5
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 292 3
- Personal Tax 328 9
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,218 46
- Practical experience 885 16
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 261 2
- Mortgage Reference 253 2
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 194 3
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 448 9
- VAT 315 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 267 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 247 1
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 85 1
- Cash gift from India 521 13