US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Non-compete agreement 178 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 194 1
- Any views 736 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 86 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 203 6
- IRIS Practice Management 142 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 102 2
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 267 8
- Pre- trading Expenses 84 1
- Was I rude 777 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 182 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 170 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 303 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 254 1
- Top slicing relief question 232 2
- Valuation of PET on death 114 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 272 6
- Share swap 292 8
- Online filing 167 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 330 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,479
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 814
- International interest certificate 446
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 418
- Sale of business 392
- NOVA 287
- IRIS Open Books problem 282
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 199
- Bonus Bonds 170
- Management expenses for investment company 169