US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,166 68
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 258 11
- Gift of property & improvements 92 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 322 5
- VAT Invoice 100 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 786 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 110 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 192 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 151 7
- General tax book with planning 120 1
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 131 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 427 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 353 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 240 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 175 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 255 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 157 4
- SA302's anyone?? 530 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,639 41
- Renting for military reasons 186 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,617
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 898
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 290
- Management expenses for investment company 262
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- tax on apprenticeship income 170
- P11D benefit received by widow 148