US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 29 1
- Where has Portia gone? 1,926 66
- Spousal transfer and PPR 545 18
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 352 8
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 450 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 325 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 321 1
- Holiday entitlement 574 11
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 186 4
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 446 12
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 314 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 132 1
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 138 2
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 924 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 223 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 208 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 424 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 356 9
- Merging my businesses 185 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,757 73
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 789
- RTI - duplicate employee record 551
- Pensions Regulator 449
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 408
- Sanzar 312
- Portia ... Where art thou 301
- Digital marketing focus group 296
- How do you do it 291
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 268
- Report old income 241