US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Time to ditch Sage? 229 3
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 364 12
- HMRC Post 517 7
- Transactions with directors 430 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 281 9
- Non VAT invoices 192 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 190 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,387 32
- Fees 237 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 254 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 222 2
- Form 17 Download 149 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 560 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 379 4
- HMRC Information notice 993 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 279 3
- Accountant Specialization. 392 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,776 42
- Sage Line 50 176 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 200 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 761
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 207
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178