US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 121 7
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,872 26
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 224 8
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 456 13
- Your fondest calculator memories 848 32
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 196 5
- Capital or revenue expense? 169 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 256 11
- Vat threshold issues 346 9
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 165 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 674 13
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 332 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 824 12
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 724 15
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 868 18
- Who can I refer leads to? 501 11
- Quickbooks Online stock 36 1
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 176 4
- Growing pains 449 8
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 439 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 459
- CTA study material 434
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 307
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 292
- Pre incorp expenses 285
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 249
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 237
- Slight twist on employment related securities 215
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 197
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 186