US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- The Cotter Case 176 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 99 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 128 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 42 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 936 16
- Sole Trader business 151 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 151 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 143 1
- Giving a seminar 680 36
- Tax position on lease extension 174 1
- Boffin of the Year 296 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 217 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 236 4
- Sage Depreciation 76 1
- Non sequitur 248 2
- Am i Liable? 880 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 170 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 155 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 75 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 475 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,294
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 640
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 422
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 261
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 212
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 207
- Office recharges 169
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 148