US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 483 5
- See you all on the other side 622 6
- 12Pay 344 2
- dividends 471 2
- R&D 267 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,130 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 409 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 347 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 293 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 509 5
- Seeking a tax case 580 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 439 4
- Companies house strike off 422 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 335 2
- Moving to the cloud 705 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 204 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 855 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 189 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,070 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 452 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 544
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 411
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 342
- Capitalising Finance Lease 307
- USA help 305
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 278
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 273
- Capital gains on rental property 251
- Sage Coretime 228