US stock options
When this issue first arose I thought i knew the answer but after speaking to HMRC i'm now more confused than before!
My client works for the UK subsidiary of a US company. As part of his package, he receives US stock options exercisable at certain time for an agreed price. In 20011/12 he exercised some of his USstock options and immediately sold the shares on the US stock market for a gain.
His employer has confirmed that no tax (either UK or US) was withheld on the cash proceeds he received.
I now need to put he details on his 2011/12 tax return.
i was expecting that PAYE should have been operated by his UK employer and NICs should have been payable. I rang HMRC but they tell me NICs aren't payable and i should put the details on the foreign income pages not the Additional Info where i was expecting to report it.
Could anyone confirm the position for me?
- Director drawings 211 15
- Childcare voucher schemes 21 1
- client can't/won't pay 1,844 40
- Interest Relief 148 5
- What sectors to target? 99 2
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 471 28
- What is the treatment of gains on sale of Options granted in Belgium 26 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,559 54
- Rental losses 110 3
- Should i tell HMRC 1,560 14
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 289 2
- Has anyone experience of BPRA? 143 3
- Charitable Company's Accounts 60 1
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 214 8
- Carrying forward self employment losses 174 8
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 535 19
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 121 3
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 97 2
- Balancing allowance/charge calculation on cessation of self-employment 59 1
- how much to charge 264 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 900
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 599
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 569
- Latest phishing scam 525
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 371
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 338
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 278
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 197
- Capital allowances in first basis period 178
- Sabbatical payments 169