US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Transmission of ISA 20 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 157 4
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 160 2
- Next Move 700 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 148 2
- Self-assessment statistics 2,452 58
- Not renewing AAT 665 9
- CGT of shares gifted 376 6
- New dividend taxation 470 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,784 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 142 1
- Company car v company allowance 266 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 436 9
- Company formation and bank account 419 9
- Owning overseas property 329 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 290 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 266 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 706 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 709 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 265 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 666
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 397
- 2015 tax year end 394
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 393
- FCA regulated company in a small group 346
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 318
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 239
- DTA tie-breaker issue 210
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204