US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 374 9
- Marketing and email surprises 437 9
- The stupidity continues 1,199 64
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 751 26
- What is IRIS World like? 401 10
- Bank request To verify Accounts 116 1
- transactions after account have been closed 292 9
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 103 1
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 308 5
- Mlom bollocks 206 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 88 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- AML report needed? 92 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 575 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 285 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 272 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 160 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,368 25
- New Employers Helpline 225 4
- Software recommendations 291 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 443
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 441
- WIP Software 305
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 239
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 234
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 214
- Is there anything wrong with this? 209
- Small Part Disposal of Property 195
- Uncommercial property business 186