US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 68 2
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 176 7
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 224 8
- Payroo Employer allowance query 239 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 354 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 110 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 170 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 295 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 128 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 434 5
- Director's tax return 383 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 170 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,117 34
- Flat rate vat 214 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 188 5
- Coming in from the cold 369 3
- Splitting the tax year 183 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 216 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 183 4
- Submitting tax return 219 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 813
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 559
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 429
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 311
- Free Tax Legislation? 285
- Director Loan account operation 264
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 252
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 171