US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 128 4
- Director owns 47% of shares in company A and 100% of shares in Company B. Is Company B a participator in Company A for S455 purposes? 199 2
- Stumped - IHT 361 6
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 393 5
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 530 12
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 512 9
- Transferring DLA between Directors 300 3
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 125 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 110 1
- Creative Auto Enrolment 818 12
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,392 35
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 123 3
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 262 4
- True Potential AE 277 2
- Closing down loss-making company 518 6
- CGT and primary residence 231 2
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 334 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,250 14
- VAT disaggregation 297 4
- Giving shares away 464 8