US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Property sale split between years 210 8
- Group structure - transfer of shares 20 1
- Accountex flash mob 145 3
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 197 5
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,019 27
- Direct payment schene 70 3
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,145 37
- Capital introduction 101 1
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 114 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,180 35
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 263 8
- CIS Deductions 282 8
- sole trader to ltd company 162 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 329 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 275 7
- Dual taxation - usa 189 2
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 130 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 287 10
- Inheritance Tax Advice 147 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 142 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 642
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 327
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 325
- Using the correct forms 300
- SA penalty proposals 298
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 191