US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 213 3
- UK tax exposure 138 2
- flat rate scheme 260 7
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 205 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 502 6
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 79 3
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 247 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,003 9
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 162 3
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 182 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 117 1
- VAT refund 342 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,294 37
- Turnover on a tax return 575 12
- incorrect old p60 576 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 164 4
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 169 1
- Special dividends & CGT 216 1
- Networking 382 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 293 2