US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 689 16
- Late annual return 68 1
- Charity work 181 10
- Company Director In Prison 323 8
- Incorporated when they should not have 87 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 201 12
- HMRC Agents Line 58 2
- Tax position re this lease? 308 5
- Managing Employee Expenses 159 6
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 40 1
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,662 60
- inheritance tax 551 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 146 5
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 51 1
- pension paid by company? 264 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 602 21
- SA Agent's Priority Line 136 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 771 24
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 266 3
- MAAT vs ACCA 395 7
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 670
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 489
- Cancelled 423
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 359
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 320
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 241
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 194