US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,809 443
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 205 4
- capital gains on PPR 247 13
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 362 13
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 177 7
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 169 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,298 62
- Company expansion 99 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 377 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 499 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 525 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,482 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 258 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 189 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 171 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 299 9
- PRR 371 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 413 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 324 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 446 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 372
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 264
- Hands on experience of Digita 215
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 167
- employment capital allowances 162
- CIS paid under reg 9 157