US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,367 39
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 80 1
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,221 10
- The importance of Grammar 1,292 38
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 123 3
- Profit split from an investment property 137 5
- VAT - How hard is it? 697 25
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 106 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 268 6
- tax saving on card points 233 6
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 913 14
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 251 9
- Scissors 866 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 434 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 447 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 241 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 119 2
- Xero Pain Points 498 17
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 339 8
- VAT and Groups 86 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 370
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 321
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 306
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 296
- Electric Car 249
- S222 Charge 217
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 214
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 200
- Company Structure 195
- VAT and customer entertaining 178