US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Wrong tax code 105 5
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,025 31
- Am I getting Soft?? 175 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 617 11
- Deferred Tax 447 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 198 1
- You know its over 460 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 237 1
- Benefit in Kind 207 5
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 132 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 215 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,259 14
- Cocaine anyone? 594 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 131 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 177 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 298 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 485 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,300 8
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 534 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 267 13
- Hive up 504
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 472
- corporate hierarchy 448
- Advice - 286
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 232
- WWOOFers 227
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 214
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 191
- The booking.com con 165
- UK State pension paid in NZ 160