US Stock Options Tax
In Jan 2010 (2009/10 tax year) I was granted a US performance-related stock option with McGraw-Hill. I was employed by McGraw-Hill in the UK. The option measured the stock performance in year 1, and then vested over years 2 & 3. It is being paid out now.
I left McGraw-Hill in Feb 2012 (2011/12 tax year).
The award converts units into shares. However, McGraw Hill in UK has advised HQ in NY that 50% "Foreign Tax" should be applied and the value of the option has been reduced by 50% through subtracting half the shares from the award.
McGraw-Hill says this is correct as I was employed by them at the time the option was awarded (at that time I was in the UK 40% tax band). I am challenging this, as I have had no gain from the award so question how I can be "taxed" in the US. I am also W8-BEN registered in US.
So my questions:
* As I am not an employee of McGraw-Hill, (and haven't been for nearly a year) how can they instruct the US to withhold 50% of my award for tax purposes?
* where will this tax be paid
* What about capital gains tax, which was what I was expecting to pay
And the most important question, how can I get this reinstated?
Thanks for any help.
- Year end 104 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 543 21
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 199 7
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 213 7
- How would you account for warranty? 131 4
- LLP - Member leaving 109 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 388 22
- Sweet Tooth 154 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,028 13
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 167 2
- trading or dormant 106 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 100 1
- tax credits 126 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 563 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 264 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 112 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 194 3
- Foreign income for self employed 129 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 643 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 91 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 867
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 515
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 328
- How to format a stock book 306
- Tax efficient holding company structure 243
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 236
- Investment property company accounts template 224
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 218
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 189
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 161