VAT advice line
The story about HMRC using the 0845 numbers has got me thinking about the VAT advice line. Whilst not normally a big critic of HMRC (their agent helpline is superb) but that VAT helpline is almost fraudulent. They have extended the messages again, it starts off a message about contacting your courier company (!!) then lots of options, with the last option nearly always the one for help with VAT (which is what most people call the VAT helpline for !), it takes exactly 4 minutes 10 seconds before it actually gets through to anybody and starts ringing. That's before you are put onto hold.
And once you're through, I have no idea what they have done with the staff there. The last three times I've called they have not even pretended to offer any help at all. They just tell you to read the relevant public notice. I asked whether that was feasible when it's hundreds of pages and the query is not that technical, and they have just said that's all the advice they can offer. No offer of helping or escalating the query...just a curt reply to get rid of you. I think it's very strange because they used to be fairly helpful and friendly a few years ago.
I think they might have forgotten that we are acting as unpaid tax collectors for the government !
- property capital gains 141 2
- Transferring DLA between Directors 131 1
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,155 13
- Tips on meals 172 2
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 512 10
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 151 3
- Personal Tax 725 13
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 167 2
- Stumped - IHT 136 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 409 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 473 11
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,283 33
- Credit management tools 139 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 771 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 395 7
- CGT and primary residence 174 1
- Marriage Allowance 273 3
- S455 and February year ends 330 7
- HMRC having technical difficulties 889 18
- Closing down loss-making company 458 5