VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 216 7
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 280 10
- Should I continue with the ACA? 235 6
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 79 1
- Intangble Assets 73 1
- Foreign Premium Distributions 192 4
- Benefit fraud 3,258 45
- Companies House 641 5
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 266 4
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 296 11
- How much did you pay for your website 984 20
- RTI Penalties 146 1
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 341 10
- How to delete of a password protected company? 100 2
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 185 5
- FRS percentage 113 2
- Subsidiary exemption from audit via parent guarantee 95 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 254 5
- Gross Profit Percentage 562 11
- Companies House 475 8
- CTA study material 630
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 384
- Employment related securities question 235
- ATED Penalties 206
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 205
- AIM Stocks and IHT 184
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 151
- Expat pension contributions? 141
- Trust for Employee 135
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 126