VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 242 3
- Cocaine anyone? 76 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,455 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 797 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 421 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 237 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 306 11
- Tax return software for remote working 460 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 497 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 415 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 440 9
- How to purchase business premises? 142 2
- Will I need to resign? 805 10
- Childcare vouchers 158 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 271 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 295 6
- VAT avoidance? 218 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 182 3
- PAYE coding out 178 3
- Follower cases 573 2
- Hive up 469
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 436
- corporate hierarchy 415
- Advice - 243
- Amortisation of Goodwill 214
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 202
- WWOOFers 197
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 178
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 176
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 174