VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Giving advice to friends / family 69 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 194 5
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 322 7
- Ex Gratia payments 109 2
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,202 27
- Employee satisfaction surveys 78 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,231 17
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,344 21
- CIS and Close Company 135 3
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 302 1
- VAT Option to tax 485 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 191 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 205 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 141 2
- Director leaving in month 1 181 2
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 306 3
- Selling assets to yourself ? 204 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 200 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 185 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 59 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 916
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 645
- Free Tax Legislation? 411
- Director Loan account operation 407
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 349
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 323
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 230
- Paye procedures for CVA 224
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 197
- Pension Fixed Protection 163