VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 975 27
- Inflation and fees 1,300 24
- Sage Priority Support 141 3
- incorrect old p60 249 5
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 126 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 798 24
- Micro-entity accounts 83 1
- Related party disclosure 145 3
- Company reconstruction 73 1
- Missing tax return 255 3
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 209 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 104 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 138 1
- Advice please! 386 2
- VAT on new builds 154 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 119 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 349 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,945 28
- Redundancy Pay 446 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 736 6