VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 183 8
- OBK 545 18
- What type of Trust? 122 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 150 7
- Instant CPD offer 96 2
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 207 7
- Dividend in specie 92 2
- Investor exit 97 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 85 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 152 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 73 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,689 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,739 26
- Sage error message 147 2
- Partially exempt? 169 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 517 5
- Mileage claim 251 9
- Proof of Delivery 253 8
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 110 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 530 1
- Skandia using wrong address 462
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 261
- Employee rewards 255
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 190
- Etax Australian 164
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 151