VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 53 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 338 15
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 555 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 69 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 266 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 120 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 528 11
- Flat rate vat error 327 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 528 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 288 14
- can I claim a per diem 266 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 137 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,379 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 247 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 106 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 297 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 536 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 865 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 166 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 838
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 508
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 318
- How to format a stock book 289
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 211
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 182
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181