VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 211 3
- Go Cardless 317 9
- SA302 266 5
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 183 3
- Hmrc software 211 3
- Mehjoo 264 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 105 1
- Hosted email exchange 170 5
- South African Government Pension 178 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 160 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 277 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 304 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 240 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 146 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 281 7
- New Email Extensions 192 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 312 2
- Dental practice incorpration 154 1
- Audit rules 177 4
- business entertaining deductibility 182 1
- Xtuple 508
- Qtac payroll for bureau 343
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 290
- Industrial & Provident Societies 282
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 172
- Domain name sale and limited company 167
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 162
- CIS schemes 160
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 140