VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- 100% Xero practice 2,116 35
- Vat treatment of charity business income 106 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 859 18
- Company Accounts 121 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,194 343
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 180 6
- Donations (to a school!) 428 11
- Vat on Royalites 82 1
- Umbrella Company 143 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 429 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 80 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 156 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 429 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 170 3
- property rental income split 255 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 468 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 138 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 99 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,270 5
- Use of home for storage 335 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,189
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 405
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 316
- National Insurance 310
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 236
- Non Resident 222
- Franchise income and costs 205
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 160