VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- COMPANY STRIKE OFF 15 1
- Sole Trader to Ltd 105 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 426 13
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 618 8
- VT accounts licence key 367 6
- Starting up in practice - safety net 424 9
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 491 10
- Opening balances Sage 50 53 1
- Flat rate vat 329 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 237 6
- Rental property company 183 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 184 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,476 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,210 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 413 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 323 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 290 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 411 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 243 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 221 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 576
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 450
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 302
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 270
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 263
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184