VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 46 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 144 1
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 836 40
- Tax relief for networking day out? 537 14
- SA316s 186 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 66 1
- Swiching tax 533 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 745 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 515 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 534 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 376 11
- Start-up cost recognition 110 1
- Lunches 257 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 398 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 144 3
- Generic notification message 261 6
- Property Expenses 223 7
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 166 1
- Accrued salary unpaid 270 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,223 18
- Construction CIS LLP Company 607
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 592
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 388
- Pensions Regulator 352
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 292
- Using the correct forms 266
- RTI - duplicate employee record 257
- SA penalty proposals 257
- Accelerated payment notices 237
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 228