VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 565 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,232 36
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 184 3
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,454 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 160 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 820 33
- VAT flat rate scheme 62 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 276 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 77 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 181 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,066 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 396 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 139 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 205 3
- FPS or EPS 154 2
- Continuity of Practice 207 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 133 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 316 10
- Financial statements accounting policies 249 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 173 3
- Moving away from CCH software 951
- QROP pension input amounts 438
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 255
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 225
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 197