VAT and accademies
So an academy school teaches GCSEs and gets state funding. Under the old rules it was not making business supplies as it wasn't receiving consideration for the supply (so Sch 9 doesn't even come into it), so it couldn't register or recover VAT.
Now, with the new rules, the supply is still non business, but VAT recovery is allowed on related items (VATA94 33B) despite this. However, in my example the school has to use form VAT126 to make a reclaim, as 33B doesn't change the nature of the supply (i.e. it is still outside scope), thus no VAT registration is possible.
If it offered lessons caught by Sch 9, it would still not be able to register as only exempt supplies would be made.
So only if it offered some sort of service that brought in outside money and wasn't caught by Sch 9 would it be allowed to register (and then would only charge VAT on that one service). I'm thinking... play groups maybe?
That's correct isn't it? I've read all sorts, including Notice 09/11, but just want to be sure what I've read is what it actually says (basically, where no taxable services are made, the academy can't actually register but can still reclaim the VAT on its inputs).
This moment of paranoia has been brought to you by some course notes that say 'recover through VAT return' several times followed by 'academies are unlikely to be able to register for VAT'. D'oh.
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,175 42
- Group Audit Thresholds 301 8
- Legal title not in the company name 676 21
- inheritance tax 245 8
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 155 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 275 7
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 93 2
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 129 2
- Deduction from Salary 550 13
- Sole properietor 382 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,442 12
- Pay in Lieu of notice 246 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 211 3
- Farm barn lettings 189 3
- Capital payments offshore trust 83 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 120 1
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 147 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 211 1
- State pension 210 1
- NALS Accountants Report 313 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 637
- Cancelled 384
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 332
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 303
- Probiz 295
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 268
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 253
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 218
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196