VAT and "Photo Books"
I have a client who is a VAT registered photographer.
He purchases "photo books" and supplies them when he does weddings.
Now there's a bit of an issue with the VAT status of these "books"
Harrier LLC vs HMRC was decided in favour of Harrier that these photo books were zero rated as they are classed as "books", i.e. "has a significant number of leaves, held together by front & back covers that are more substantial than the leaves" So Harrier did not charge VAT on these "books" and the Tribunal decided that was correct.
It is not recognised as a "book" if the pages have the appearance & quality of individual photographic prints" and it would be "capable of being dismantled"
This means that my client will in effect be losing out as he would have to charge his customers VAT on the wediing package as a whole (as the "photo book" is ancillary to the price of the service) but he would not be able to claim anyVAT back on the purchase of the book against the VAT charged as it's zero rated. (Which he thinks is unfair!)
His argument is that
"I think that it could be determined that the books are vatable whatever paper they are printed on as the ruling is - 'appearance and quality of individual photographic prints', not that they are printed on photographic paper. It's a matter of opinion. The books are designed to look like a book of top quality photographs."
He has also had mailers from some suppliers saying that the books are zero rated, but I tend to think that surely it's a mater of opinion whether or not the type of paper that the photos are printed on is deemed as "top quality" is open to debate? (Photos on matt linen paper can look quite nice...)
Can anyone furnish me with their opinions, please?
Thanking you in advance,
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 22 3
- Matching of tax return to P60 37 1
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,012 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,192 53
- Related Parties Note 112 3
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 765 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 192 7
- what time is it ? 309 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 89 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 433 24
- VAT on disbursement 168 2
- tax credits 208 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,045 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 87 1
- LLP - Member leaving 196 6
- Year end 263 3
- Foreign income for self employed 173 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 311 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 329 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,151 14
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 911
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 528
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 336
- How to format a stock book 322
- Tax efficient holding company structure 258
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 248
- Investment property company accounts template 234
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 197
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 184
- Charge out rates in London? 158